Search for content in message boards

Canada to USA; deported via Ellis Island

Canada to USA; deported via Ellis Island

Posted: 10 Jul 2012 3:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jul 2012 6:22PM GMT
Hello,

I came across this post & wondered if you'd be able to help me...

I'm trying to find records regarding my great grandmothers deportation from Ellis island. I'm informed she illegally crossed the border from Canada & was deported via Ellis Island. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find anything from Ellis Island. I did , however, find a deportation record from Quebec & I wondered if it was common for people to be deported via the port they gained entry, or, if they were normally returned directly from NY (Ellis Island).

Appreciate any information anyone has on this matter.

Thanks!

Re: Ellis Island "deported" - what did codes mean?

Posted: 10 Jul 2012 4:06PM GMT
No one will be able to answer your question without a time frame. Additionally, a name would help immensely in tracking the movements of your ggm.

Who informed you she illegally crossed the border and what is the source of their information? What is the nature of the deportation records from Quebec? Is it an addendum to an immigration record or some other type of record?

It has been general practice that an immigrant refused entry is taken into custody at the port of entry and remains in custody at that location until the steamship company makes arrangements for her return to the port of embarkation.

There is a difference between being refused entry and having been deported. It is important to know the sequence of events that got her from the foreign port to the Canadian port, where she was examined by immigration, the results of that examination, and the manner and place of her crossing the border into the US.

Whatever additional information you can provide will help in unraveling the mystery.

Posted: 10 Jul 2012 4:18PM GMT
Hello & thank you for the fast reply :)

I was informed she was deported by my grandmother, who was informed by her grand parents. I believe my ggm was pregnant when deported since my gm was born soon after her arrival in glasgow. I know she gained entry via Canada 4 July 1925 The only record I can find re deportation is:

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=bt26&h=789...

Though this does not give an indication of why she was deported.

Appreciate any advise you could offer.

Thanks!

Posted: 10 Jul 2012 4:23PM GMT
1. Since I don't have a world subscription, I can't see the document which you linked. Can you attach a copy to a reply.

2. What is her NAME?

Re: Canada to USA; deported via Ellis Island

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 11:32AM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2012 1:29PM GMT
Surnames: McInally,
Hi Bob,

For some reason I did not receive a notification about this post,hence the delayed relpy :)

Ok, so her name was Elizabeth McInally, from coatbridge in Scotland. Please see shipping record attached. I have also attached the document which shows she entered Canada.

Appreciate your help - thanks a lot!
Attachments:

Re: Canada to USA; deported via Ellis Island

Posted: 18 Jul 2012 11:44AM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2012 1:29PM GMT
RE time frame:

She entered Canada on the 4th July 1925 & arrived back in Glasgow on the 20th May 1929. I'm informed she was married in Connecticuit USA, on the 9th October 1928 (though I cannot find any docs to support this & she was deported with her maiden name).

Hope this helps :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions