Search for content in message boards

Reeder Family in Pennsylvania

Reeder Family in Pennsylvania

Posted: 4 Mar 2006 7:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Reeder
My grandmother was a Reeder (Clara Louise Reeder). Her father was Wiles Watson Reeder. He is a descendant (through a number of generations) of Charles Biles Reeder and Eleanor Merrick. I looking for more info on Reeders in PA, how they came here etc.

Re: Reeder Family in Pennsylvania

Posted: 30 Jul 2010 2:11AM GMT
Edited: 21 Oct 2013 2:33AM GMT
It seems to have been a gradual migration for the Reeders; from Rhode Island, to Newtown, NY, to Bucks County, PA. At least that is the way it was for my branch. John/Isaac/Joseph/Charles-Merrick/ . . . Bucks County became a kind of homeland for Reeders as they left, came back, left, came back, etc.

As a later edit, there are still many of my Reeder cousins living in nearby Delaware County, PA.

Posted: 30 Jul 2010 5:10AM GMT
Surnames: Reeder, Reder
Willis Watson Reeder (1850-1926)/Mahlon H. Reeder (1806 - 1891)/Abraham Reeder (1792-1851)/Abraham Reeder (1752-1831)/ Charles Biles Reeder (1713-1804)/Joseph Yoeman Reeder (1681-1732)/John Reeder Sr. (1614 Kent England - 1660 Newton, Queens Co., NY)/William Reder.

My great grandfather was Willis Watson Reeder. My grand mother, Clara Reeder, married my grandfather, Mark Howard Orpen.

I don't have as high a confidence level with Charles Biles Reeder in Maidenhead, Burlington, NY. I'm not sure he is the link between Abraham Reeder and Joseph Yoeman Reeder. Other researchers, I've spoken with, have the same problem. If Charles Biles Reeder is the connection then my Reeder line came to the United States in the form of John Reeder Sr. I think he came around 1630 although records aren't clear on this fact. I can share more

Re: Reeder Family in Pennsylvania (Corrected)

Posted: 30 Jul 2010 5:15AM GMT
Surnames: Reeder, Reder
This is my connection corrected to include Isaac Reeder.

Willis Watson Reeder (1850-1926)/Mahlon H. Reeder (1806 - 1891)/Abraham Reeder (1792-1851)/Abraham Reeder (1752-1831)/ Charles Biles Reeder (1713-1804)/Joseph Yoeman Reeder (1681-1732)/Isaac Reeder (1656-1708)/John Reeder Sr. (1614 Kent England - 1660 Newton, Queens Co., NY)/William Reder.

My great grandfather was Willis Watson Reeder. My grand mother, Clara Reeder, married my grandfather, Mark Howard Orpen.

I don't have as high a confidence level with Charles Biles Reeder in Maidenhead, Burlington, NY. I'm not sure he is the link between Abraham Reeder and Joseph Yoeman Reeder. Other researchers, I've spoken with, have the same problem. If Charles Biles Reeder is the connection then my Reeder line came to the United States in the form of John Reeder Sr. I think he came around 1630 although records aren't clear on this fact. I can share more

Posted: 30 Jul 2010 6:20AM GMT
I don't much about the first generations, I have just gone with the posted genealogy from John Sr down to me John the Least. lol I live in Kalifornia and it is very difficult to do any research out here. My mother was from West Coast frontier families and it is even harder to get information about folks who were busy building log cabins.

Posted: 22 Oct 2010 8:13PM GMT
For what it's worth ...

I'm not well-versed in the lineage or origins, but there is a sizable number of Reeders in Western PA, as well, namely the Butler area. My father's generation (1920s-1930s) stayed mostly in the area, although some moved to western Ohio and California. His father was Frederick John Reeder (my father took his father's middle name).

Seems that John is a popular name to throw in with Reder/Reeder.

Posted: 23 Oct 2010 1:32AM GMT
Edited: 21 Oct 2013 2:37AM GMT
You got that right, my name is John Frederick Reeder, but the Frederick comes from my mother's father, Frederick Rhodes.
John

As an aside, I am the middle John of five John's, my grandfather, my father, me, my son, and my grandson. My son is the only Jr. though, they go John French, John Hubbard, John Frederick, John Frederick, Jr., and John Patrick. My sister name her second son after my father.

Posted: 20 Oct 2013 5:49PM GMT
Mark,
I have posted a tree on here of what I have so far. William Reder married a girl named Lesser (thought ot be her last name). They came over from England. I have not been able to find much more. They came up the Philadelphia River and got off at Philadelphia and apparently traveled to Bucks Co., PA. They settled there for a long time, then they started migrating. Some of them went north through Connecticut and Ohio and others went south and went through Kentucky and ended up in Bourbon Co., KS This is the best I can figure now. If you find out anything else, please let me know.

Rick

Posted: 20 Oct 2013 6:02PM GMT
Mark,
here is what I have found. William Reder and ? Lesser came over from England. She gave birth to John Reeder in 1614. He married Margaret Isaacks and they had a son Isaack Reeder. he in turn married Sarah Hunt they had a son, Joseph 'Yeoman' Reeder who married Mary Biles. and they had a son Charles Biles Reeder. Abraham, born in 1752 was the son of Charles Biles Reeder and Eleanor Merrick.

RIck

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 2:32AM GMT
Edited: 21 Oct 2013 2:39AM GMT
There are several history account of early Bucks County, PA. Several state that Charles (Biles) Reeder came to America from England in 1713 or so. Others show the descendancy from the John Reeder of the 1614 date, I have chosen to go with the Charles Biles Reeder line rather than the more recent immigrant after reading the various accounts. He had a son, Jesse (Biles?) Reeder who drowned at an early age in the Delaware River in North Carolina; I believe that his middle name was Biles.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions