Search for content in message boards

Civil War Enlistments

Civil War Enlistments

Posted: 17 Nov 2013 6:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Nov 2013 6:29AM GMT
Surnames: Fitzpatrick
I have found where my GGF enlisted for the Civil War in 1862 in Ouachita parish (stated he was born in Union parish). I have been able to find his "papers" after enlistment through Fold3.

I am looking for other men who may have enlisted the same day at the same place in hopes of finding brothers/cousins/friends/neighbors.

Also, hoping that somewhere is listed a next-of-kin. Can anyone offer suggestions of where I might find this information?

The papers from Fold3 are the ONLY documents/dates/leads I have on him at this time. He is not listed on the 1860 census of Ouachita or Union parishes.

Re: Civil War Enlistments

Posted: 18 Nov 2013 1:40AM GMT
I recently spent some time on Fold3 and googling Civil War info for Ouachita Parish LA. I was looking for info on my 2nd great-grandfather's service. I found his record and the name of his unit. I Googled his unit and hit: " THE FRANKLIN LIFE GUARDS Company C, 4th. Battalion Louisiana Infantry Most of these men enlisted August 8, 1861 in Winnsboro, Louisiana. The 4th Battalion saw duty throughout the war in the Southeast, participating in the Battle of Chickamauga." Among other things. There is a lot of info on specific units. Then I looked at this unit to try to find friends/cousins, etc. Also, I look @ Ancestry in the census records for who is living near by. You may have done all of this but I wanted to respond in case it's helpful.

Posted: 19 Nov 2013 3:36AM GMT
Thanks for the response and it is helpful.

I have been able to find some information on the unit itself and have available the roster of those in his unit. That is all I have!!

I *wish* I knew who his friends and relatives were - there are no other Fitzpatricks and no other surnames that are familiar to that line. That is why I was hoping that a "next of kin" may be listed.

He doesn't show up in the 1860 census for Ouachita/Union/Lincoln parishes. It's like he just appeared to enlist and had no ties to anyone.

Posted: 19 Nov 2013 1:02PM GMT
Send me what info you have: full name, unit, etc. Anything you have and I'll sniff around.
I've been in and out of the Ouachita Parish stuff a lot lately and I might stumble upon something.
I've gotten so much help from other random folks on Ancestry you wouldn't believe it.

Posted: 5 Dec 2013 12:57PM GMT
Along the same lines as the previous response, it would definitely be able to look a bit closer with th name of his unit. My 3rd Great-Grandfather lived on the Ouachita/Union parish line, and joined the "Ouachita Blues" which was also a part of the 4th LA Battalion. If his widow filed for a pension, it would definitely be worthwhile to look at the LA Secretary of State's records. The pension applications they completed were very detailed, and give a lot of clues.

Posted: 6 Dec 2013 4:49PM GMT
Fitzpatrick, Rainy J.
Regiment Name: 12th Regiment, Louisiana Infantry
Side: Confederate
Company: I
Enlistment Date: Feb 27, 1862

He was captured at Vicksburg (Champion Hills, May 1863) and taken as a POW to Pt. Lookout, MD. He received a disability discharge at St.Paul, Minnesota in July 1865 after joining the Union Volunteers.

There is no record that a pension was applied for by him or his family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic