Search for content in message boards

MO-MD-PA/NJ Bloom Family

MO-MD-PA/NJ Bloom Family

Posted: 30 Jun 2006 1:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
My wife is descended from Peter Bloom who was born about 1787 in Maryland. He moved with his sister Elizabeth to the Ste. Genevieve, MO area in 1797. Elizabeth (born about 1770) was married to Bartholomew Burtcher in Baltimore in 1795. (For a great web site on the "colorful" Burtcher family which has some information on Peter Bloom, see http://www.burtcher.com.) However, I can find absolutely no information on Peter/Elizabeth Bloom's parents. It is certain that the parents did not come to Missouri as Peter and Elizabeth were the first Blooms in MO. I have read through the posts in this forum and believe they may be descendents of Johann Peter Bloom from Germany. Any thoughts/information appreciated.

Re: MO-MD-PA/NJ Bloom Family

Theresa Richardson (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jul 2006 5:31AM GMT
Surnames: BURTCHER
Hi my ancestor is Michael BURTCHER brother to your Elizabeth's Bartholomew.
We have heard different stories, one of which is that the Burtcher's, Bloom's and other families traveled together to MO from MD. We think they stopped in KY for a short time.

It has been awhile since I have gone over the BLOOM/E info I have so will double check or a cousin will correct me;)
Oh and yes the Burtcher's were pretty colorful folks lol

Theresa RIchardson
http://www.burtcher.com

Kathleen Edmisson (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2006 2:26AM GMT
My great-grandmother, Elizabeth Bloom, born about 1830
at Ste. Genevieve, MO. I believe she might have been the
daughter or granddaughter of Peter Bloom. Can you tell me
more about Peter and his family?

Kathleen Edmisson (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2006 3:00AM GMT
Correction: Elizabeth Bloom was my great-great grandmother
and was married in 1830 to Daniel Woolford in Ste. Genevieve, MO. So she would have been born about 1810.
I have been unable to verify any information about her parents.

Posted: 21 Aug 2006 1:27AM GMT
Surnames: Bloom, Burtcher, Sebastian
I have not seen any absolute documentation that Peter Bloom is the father of Elizabeth Bloom, but the 1830 Missouri Census has an intriguing clue. My wife traces her ancestry through the marriage of Peter Bloom (b. 1787) to Rachel Sebastian (b abt. 1800). They were married about 1820 and had seven children, the oldest being Phoebe Bloom (b. 1821) who is my wife’s gg-grandmother. In the 1830 Census, there is only one Bloom family listed in Missouri. I would have expected to see five family members, but there are eight. The Census age ranges show one male under Age 5 (unknown and probably died in infancy), two males 5-10 (James and William), one male 15-20 (unknown), one male 40-50 (Peter). For females, there is one 5-10 (Phoebe), one 15-20 (unknown), and one 30-40 (Rachel). The two “teenage” children is what is intriguing. They are not the children of Rachel, obviously. Peter is Rachel’s senior by 13 years. The only other “Bloom” to come to Missouri was Peter’s sister Elizabeth, but who died in 1797 (married to Bartholomew Burtcher of the extremely “colorful” Burtcher family). It would appear to be possible and logical that Peter had a first wife who is unknown and then named their first daughter “Elizabeth” after his sister. No proof, just guesswork at this point. Peter Bloom’s parentage is unknown other than he was born in Maryland (possibly Baltimore) in 1787. His sister and the Burtcher’s (three brothers) took young Peter with them to what was then Spanish/French Louisiana around 1797. (Perhaps both parents of Peter and Elizabeth were dead by 1797.) There is an exceptional amount of documentation on Burtchers and Peter Bloom in the Ste. Genevieve area of Pre-U.S. Louisiana, mainly provided through the Burtcher web site, http://www.burtcher.com. Be careful in using the data at Ancestry.com in some of the One World Tree lists as there is confusion between Peter Bloom who was born and died in Pennsylvania and our Peter Bloom from Missouri. However, there is one final clue in the 1790 Census for Maryland. The only Bloom listed is Adam Bloom of Frederick, Maryland (not far from Baltimore). They is one male over age 16 (Adam), 2 males under 16 (is Peter one of them?) and four females (Elizabeth in that group?).

Posted: 4 Sep 2006 7:28PM GMT
My Gr-Gr-Gr-Grandmother was Jane (Bloom), born 4 Feb1813; died 27 Apr 1870, She marr 4 dec 1831, Ste. Genevieve CO, MO John Woolford, Jane is buried along with two of their daughters at Stone Cem in Ste. Genevieve CO, MO across rd. from Coffman Slave Cem. I didn't visit the Bloom Cem as of yet but it's not to far from Stone.
John & Jane (Bloom) Woolford lived in Perry CO, MO and were in the 1840,50, & 60 Census, had 10 children, one of their dau's was my Gr-Gr grandmother, Meekee b. 1 Jan 1835, she marr first Joseph W. Townsend, one if their dau's Henrietta was My Gr-Grandmother, there were 3 other girls & one son (died very young) when Joseph passed away, Meekee then marr Joseph Cheesebrough, and had children with him, also. Hernrietta marr John A. Allen, my grandmother (one of their dau's) Edyth was born.
I believe Elizabeth (Bloom) & Jane (Bloom) b. 1813 were sisters, and a brother a named John B. Bloom b. b. 1814, also Elizabeth (Bloom) marr Daniel Woolford older brother of John Woolford, when Jane died John marr, 1871 Emily (the widow of John B Bloom), his wife's (Jane's) brother.
Janice Hoff

Posted: 9 Jan 2007 8:38PM GMT
Surnames: Bloom
It doesn't appear anyone answered your initial question, ie if Peter were the son of John Peter Blum and Eva Wagern Blum. I have some serious doubts of this. Here's why. Their first son was born in Germany and is the ancestor of many of the Pennsylvania (Clearfield County) Blooms. William was born in 1752. He had 12 siblings who were born in Alexandria, Hunterdon, New Jersey. One of these siblings was Peter Bloom, b. Oct 1758. This family was extremely prolific, however, most of them either stayed in New Jersey or moved to Pennsylvania. Their descendents are all over the place now, but I've not found any relatives of that generation in Maryland. Now, John Peter Blum had a brother, named Herbert whom I have zero info on. He may have moved to Maryland and you might try to track him down. Peter is a huge family name so it wouldn't surprise me if he, too, had a son named Peter. There is also a Frederick Blum (Bloom) who was the ancestor of John Woolf Bloom, a rather famous author from Pennsylvania and no relation to my Blooms (that I know of) so this too might be a lead. Good luck on your search.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions