Search for content in message boards

Where to look for Marriage Records for Italian Immigrants arriving through Ellis Island

Where to look for Marriage Records for Italian Immigrants arriving through Ellis Island

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 4:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Aug 2012 12:23AM GMT
Surnames: La Fazia, LaFazia, Lafazia, Varriano
Where would Italian immigrants get married upon arrival? Here's the scenario:

Giovanni LaFazia (La Fazia, Lafazia) lives in Seattle, WA. His sister-in-law, Carolina Varriano-LaFazia, and nephew, Giuseppe (Joseph) LaFazia, arrive at Ellis Island in June of 1908. Giovanni (John) is the only person Carolina knows in the U.S. Carolina's husband died in 1900 in Italy. Tradition dictates that she marry her husband's oldest single brother (that's why she immigrated - John is her husband's oldest single brother). Both are Roman Catholic. Their first child is born in April of 1909 (in Seattle, WA - already searched there for a marriage cert), so the marriage would have taken place between June and July of 1908.

I couldn't find any naturalization forms for Carolina or Giovanni (John). Giuseppe (Joseph) was never naturalized either; he applied four times, but was rejected every time. As far as I know, none of them became U.S. citizens.

I didn't know about any of that detention stuff you mentioned. What was a Board of Inquiry? What sort of public charge would they have been held on?

I've talked to the King County Archives, and they have no record of a marriage for John and Caroline; the man I talked to said they were either married in another county/place, or the person in charge of submitting the record to the county never did submit it. The 1910 Census has them living in Seattle, and there is an address on their first child's birth certificate (2618 East Aloha St.)

Does John meet her at Ellis Island, and they marry before the long trek back to Seattle? (If so, where is the most likely church they would get married?)

Or, do they wait until they reach Seattle to be married?

Re: Where to look for Marriage Records for Italian Immigrants arriving through Ellis Island

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 1:35PM GMT
Where was the first child born? Search there first.

Re: Where to look for Marriage Records for Italian Immigrants arriving through Ellis Island

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 8:48PM GMT
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have already tried that (sorry, should've mentioned that in the first post). That is why I am investigating this possibility.

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 11:09PM GMT
Edited: 29 Aug 2012 11:28PM GMT
Hi,

So they arrive on the Hamburg on June 23rd, 1908. page 30 on the Ellis Island site.

First question.... were they held at Ellis Island? I see a stamp saying they were "admitted." I also see that Giuseppe (John) applied for citizenship in 1942.... so looks like Giovanni didn't become a citizen in time to have citizenship covered for his family.

So let's see if the detention pages show what happened. Carolina shows her last name as Varriano while Giuseppe has LaFazia. On the first page of the Detention pages (at the back of the Hamburg pages) I see a notation for Carolina Varriano and child. She was held as a LPC... a likely public charge...and she apparently went before a board of inquiry. It looks like she stayed at least 2 days at Ellis Island (4 breakfasts, 6 diners, 4 Suppers). There is nothing there about who might have picked her up..... Perhaps the board of inquiry records still exist... you might email the Ellis Island staff to pursue that angle.

I suggest you find them on the 1910 census in Seattle, and find the nearest RC Church to find if they have any records on the couple. Or perhaps their first child's birth certificate would have an address.

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 11:35PM GMT
"Carolina shows her last name as Varriano"

It was customary for married Italian women to retain their maiden name.

They were released from Detention 6/25 at 2:30 PM

Robert

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 12:23AM GMT
Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. I couldn't find any naturalization forms for Carolina or Giovanni (John). Giuseppe (Joseph) was never naturalized either; he applied four times, but was rejected every time. As far as I know, none of them became U.S. citizens.

I didn't know about any of that detention stuff you mentioned. What was a Board of Inquiry? What sort of public charge would they have been held on?

I've talked to the King County Archives, and they have no record of a marriage for John and Caroline; the man I talked to said they were either married in another county/place, or the person in charge of submitting the record to the county never did submit it. The 1910 Census has them living in Seattle, and there is an address on their first child's birth certificate (2618 East Aloha St.); if the person at the RC church didn't submit the record to the county then I could check that out.

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 12:40AM GMT
LPC... Likely Public Charge was an all encompassing term that indicated there was a likelihood the person could not earn a living in the United States and had no other means of support. Given her situation of her husband's death, having a son in tow, and the prospect of marrying her brother-in-law probably raised flags for the immigration inspectors, but she must have presented enough information to convince them otherwise. Or perhaps her future husband came to pick her up.

Look at the ship manifest.

Also look at: http://www.jewishgen.org/InfoFiles/#Immigration

especially the essay on Manifest Markings....

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 1:01AM GMT
Where can I access the detention pages?

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 1:05AM GMT
They are at the back of the manifest for the Hamburg arriving in 1908.

You can use the Ellis Island site, the Ancestry site (if you have a subscription), or use the Gold form at:
http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html

You can advance through the pages of the manifest to find the typewritten Detention pages which are at the back of the regular pages.

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 1:08AM GMT
Got it, thanks! Do you think it's more probable that they waited to be married in Seattle, or got married before leaving the East Coast?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions