Search for content in message boards

William Hough

William Hough

Posted: 14 Oct 2002 10:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hough
Searching for William Hough born in 1775, probably New York. He married Charity ???. He had 10 children:They are Mary(Polly), William C, John, Gershom, Ann, Sara,Levi,Abraham, Oliver, and Elizabeth. The family moved to Monmouth County New Jersey around 1800. Any information would be appreciated

Re: William Hough

jeanie lauke (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2002 12:07AM GMT
I have a Gershom Hough bapt. May 1725 in CT His father John moved to NJ about 1732. Gershom married Hannah Walker in Morris co. N.J., 2 May 1747. I believe he served in the NY militia from Orange co. NY as Gershom Huff. I have no further information on this individual and his descendants but the dates are right for him to be a father for your William. Will be happy to exchange information. Jeanie

Posted: 29 Oct 2002 7:34PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2004 4:32AM GMT
Surnames: HOFF/HUFF/HOUGH/HAUPT AND WHATEVER OTHER WAY YOU PREFER TO SPEEL IT ;)
I have Gershom listed as Hoff...........Now I've been thru this Hoff/Huff/Hough/Haupt thing for more years than I care to count. LOL This is MY family and they are driving me crazy.
Everytime we turn around there is another variation in spelling of the surname. When I first began my understanding was the Hough was of English origin. Now I know that's not always true. Then I followed my own Huff's and was told by others they were of Holland Dutch descent. The only problem is I had always been led to believe we were of German origin. Can anyone help me clarify this??
my webpage is located at:
www:bowlbyfamily.org/lmuessig
if you'd like to take a gander at what I have so far?
Thanks,
love and hugs,
Linda

Posted: 15 Jul 2006 5:34AM GMT
Surnames: Hough, Rohrer
Hoping you are still receiving messages. My Houghs are also P. Dutch, not German, although I have been sent on many goose chases. Looking for Isaac Chauncey Hough bn. 1816 mrd. Mary Maria Rohrer, Ont, Canada. Sound familiar??

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 2:04AM GMT
did you have any luck on finding any more info. on Isaac Chauncey Hough? My is a desendant of Isaac.

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 5:55AM GMT
Surnames: Hoff/Huff/Hough/Haupt and Hugh born in 1862
Linda, I agree with what you were told from family members who had previously researched the Hoff's. My father had always led we children to believe his grandfather was German. Upon researching for months I believe the father of James Granderson Hoff and Robert Belshe Hoff did in fact come from Germany. Would you have anything on that? I have been told he was born in 1810 and died in 1834. Cannot prove dates on either. Be glad to exchange any information with you.

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 5:57AM GMT
Surnames: Hoff Huff Hough Haupt Hugh
Linda, Sorry I had a typing error in the death (last line) Should have been birth 1810 Death 1845.

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 11:04PM GMT
Surnames: Hoff, Kneisly
I'm just getting started on the Hoff's, my Mother's maiden name. James Granderson Hoff (JGH) was my great grandfather. His son, James Robert Hoff was my grandfather. His daughter Beulah A Hoff was my Mother. I have a trunk and the rifle that JGH's brother Robert Belche Hoff used in the Civil War. Robert gave them to my grandmother Sara Jane Kneisly Hoff, who in turn gave it to my mother, then to me. I will be pleased to share any info I have with anyone interested.

I too have been told by my grandmother and my mother that Hoff originated in Germany and spoke, I believe, high German.

There is a book entitled "The Hoff Family History, Miller County Missouri, 1810-2004" by Marjorie M Garner.

Posted: 21 Mar 2013 11:33PM GMT
Jerry, I am a first cousin of yours. My father was your uncle. I can be reached at (opalsnan@comcast.net). Great hearing from you. Ina
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions