Search for content in message boards

Forrest Cemetery location?

Forrest Cemetery location?

Alice Click (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2005 11:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Forrest
Would someone be so kind as to tell us the location of the Forrest Cemetery? Looking also for descendants of the Forrest family. Many Thanks for any information.

Re: Forrest Cemetery location?

Joel L. Carter (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2005 12:15AM GMT
Are the Forrests you're looking for Robert Forrest & Melissa James?

Posted: 5 Sep 2005 12:22AM GMT
I am a descendent of Robert Forrest and Melissa James through their daughter, Sadie Belle Forrest Roberts, then through Sadie's daughter, Donna Roberts Carter. I'm Joel Carter.

Alice Click (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2005 1:15PM GMT
Surnames: Forrest, Duncan
Hello, Joel: Thank you for your response. The descendants that we are looking for are the Hosea Forrest family. We have distant cousins who are also looking for the descendants of Gideon Forrest. From 1800's records at the Mason County Courthouse -- we have determined several of them came from Kentucky to Mason County. Some of them moved on to Madison County, Indiana, and some returned to Kentucky. We found it interesting to do a Google Search and find Forrestville, Indiana, and their cemetery there. Back to the Kentucky Forrest. My sister has several Death Certificates and Obits and we have found several of the Forrest were buried at DeEverett, Kentucky, a the Forrest Cemetery. We figure this is a family cemetery. Would you have any way of determining where this could be? We would like to photo the cemetery in order to complete our records. Our gr gr grandmother was Mahala Forrest who married John Murphy Duncan. Again, thank you for responding and for any informatioin that you might have to share. We have extensive information on the Forrest and would be glad to share it with you as well. Alice

Don Meenach (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2005 4:31PM GMT
I checked all of my cemetery and town references for Carter Co., I have not found any Forrest/Forest Cemetery or any town by the name of DeEverette in or around Carter Co. Kentucky.

Posted: 5 Sep 2005 6:13PM GMT
I believe Robert and Melissa James Forrest were buried on a hill on the left of Rockhouse Road going in, before one would come to the house where they lived circa 1890. This house, by the way, is still standing. I can give more explicit directions if anyone would like them.

Directions

Alice Click (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2005 6:38PM GMT
Joel: I would appreciate the directions. I will be traveling from West Virginia---I-64. Could you give the directions from there? Many Thanks. Alice Click

Alice Click (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2005 6:43PM GMT
Don: Your information was appreciated. Some of the very old obits and death certificates from Carter County indicate there is a Forrest Cemetery and a community (town) (post office) by the name of De Everett. Do you have a directory of old post offices? I know some of the communities and post offices in particular that existed several years ago no longer--- and some are renamed. Many thanks. Alice Click

Posted: 5 Sep 2005 11:59PM GMT
I don't know of a Forrest Cemetery at the place name mentioned but Robert Forrest and Malissa James (and some other Forrests) are buried on Rockhouse Road near Iron Hill. The cemetery, my mother says, is on top of the hill across Rockhouse Road from the Forrest home place. This house is still standing but I don't know who owns the property.

Posted: 6 Sep 2005 12:54AM GMT
Edited: 13 Mar 2006 7:47PM GMT
On old maps of Carter County you will find DeEverett located between the end of Everman Creek and Iron Hill. Just as you described Joel. Other families in the area were Huff and McCoy. You will also Forrests descendents still living in the area.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions