Search for content in message boards

How to enter those complicated Norwegian names into FTM!?

How to enter those complicated Norwegian names into FTM!?

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 1:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Jan 2013 1:23AM GMT
Oh those complicated Norwegian names! I have a situation and am trying to figure out how to best enter this person into FTM2012. (And I'm sure this issue will come up with many others in my family tree, as well.)

For as long as I've been researching this Norwegian-American ancestor, I've usually found him in records as Andrew Emerson. His official first name, however, was Andreas. He also went by Andrew T. Emerson and A.T. Emerson. (The "T" standing for Tollefson since his dad's first name was Tollef.)

Andrew's last name of Emerson evolved from "Americanizing" the name Amundson, which was his dad's last name who also lived in America. (So his dad was Tollef Amundson.)

Now to make things more complicated, I just found Andrew's birth record for 1854 and he was baptized as Thorgeir Andreas Amundsen.

What's the right way to handle all these different names in the software?

Re: How to enter those complicated Norwegian names into FTM!?

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 5:23AM GMT
Keep track of ALL of them with good source notes as to where each was found and when it was used.
Any good genealogy software program will usually allow the recording of name variations or alternates.

If your questions is actually how to make the FTM software accept these multiples then you'd better look for a message board of experts on that software.

Traditional Norwegian naming patterns and practices are not complicated at all - just different. In fact they were very very logical.

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 6:17PM GMT
Where was he baptized in Norway? I'm just curious. He was baptized as Thorgeir Andreas Amundsen. It was not very often they got a surname by baptism.

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 6:28PM GMT
He was born and baptized in the US circa 1854... Winneshiek Co. Iowa. That record is at familysearch.org

Americans can complicate names!

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 6:52PM GMT
Hi Harald,
He was baptized in Iowa.
Kaye

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 6:57PM GMT
Hi thorway, You are correct. Norwegian naming practices are logical. I guess it's when they get to America that things get complicated with the Americanizing of names; and then in this case, finding out that the person was baptized with a totally different name than what he's been known as.

I did also post this message on the FTM board on Ancestry.com as well and got some responses there. So I'll eventually get this thing figured out!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic