Search for content in message boards

MacPherson and MacDonald, South Uist

MacPherson and MacDonald, South Uist

Posted: 12 Oct 2003 6:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Apr 2005 1:46PM GMT
Surnames: MACPHERSON, MACDONALD
Is anyone familiar with these two families? I have plenty of information on them after they emigrated but very little about them before that. The British censuses are no help, and someone already checked the rent rolls for me from 1798 on.

MACPHERSON, JOHN, b. ca. 1802, Loch Eynort. Emigrated to Black River, Cape Breton (date unknown; may have gone to Prince Edward Island first; he was definitely in Cape Breton by 1832). He was the son of Donald, son of Roderick. He had a brother Angus and a sister Margaret who also came to Canada. I believe he had a brother Donald, too, but don't know if he emigrated. JOHN was my g-g-grandfather on my paternal side of the family. He married Margaret Rankin who had emigrated from the Roy Bridge area of Lochaber in 1819.

MACDONALD, ALLAN, b. ca. 1779. He was living in or near Stoneybridge at the time of emigration. Date of departure isn't known, but he probably came over between 1822 and 1832. He had a brother Alasdair and a sister Mairead who also emigrated, probably with him, as they all settled in the same area of Cape Breton. Alasdair married Mairi MacDonald, sister of Iain Mor (Fearchar). I don't know the significance of that last bit of information. Allan's father was also named Allan. He is said to have drowned in Loch Bee. Allan had another brother who was known as "Ailean Sgoilear." This Allan apparently remained in South Uist or perhaps he died young. My Allan was nicknamed "Gardener." He is supposed to have spent some time when he was very young as a gardener at Edinburgh Castle, but I can't verify that. He was married twice--to Mairead MacDonald of South Uist (wonder if she was the sister of Alasdair's wife?), and again at age 65 to Catherine MacInnis. His firstborn child Jane became my g-g-grandmother on the maternal side of my family.

The patronymics of Allan's family are supposed to be as follows:
Ailean mac Ailean, ic Ailean, ic Dhomhnuill, ic Iain, ic Alasdair, ic Iain, ic Iain, id Dhughail

I tried sorting this out in the Clan Donald volumes and promptly fell into a bottomless pit.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Allene Goforth
Idaho, USA

Re: MacPherson and MacDonald, South Uist

Donald Macpherson (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2004 7:45PM GMT
Edited: 7 Apr 2005 1:47PM GMT
Surnames: Macpherson, MacPhee, MacDonald
I have thousand Of Macpherson in From that area mostly North Uist.
list of some

John Macpherson 1774 maried Flora MacPhee(1791) from Carnan, had four kids
John MacMacherson 1776 from Grimsay) then Carinish married Flora Fergerson

John Macpherson from Scolpaig married a Margaret MacDonald (1800)

Posted: 8 Feb 2004 9:51PM GMT
Edited: 7 Apr 2005 2:33PM GMT
Surnames: MacPherson, MacVarish
Hello, Donald!

Thank you for responding to my message. The two Johns you mention aren't mine, but you say you have many names. My John didn't marry until he came to Cape Breton. His father Donald would probably have been born between 1750 and 1780. Donald was married to a MacVarish woman whose first name is unknown. She was probably from the Moidart area, but I'm just guessing. Information from my grandfather Donald MacPherson (he's been dead for 60 years) dictates that Donald (father of John) left his wife a widow when his family was still young.They had seven children, including John, Angus, Donald, and Margaret. These four all came to Canada. I don't know anything about the other three.

Since I last posted to this board I've managed to dig up a little more on this family, including a copy of John's 1835 Crown Land Grant. Now I'm looking for his land petition, which may provide more information about him. Furthermore, at least several of his siblings were in the Miramichi area of New Brunswick before they came to Cape Breton. John's brother Donald was killed in a log jam on the Miramichi when he was 21 years old. John's sister Margaret was born in about 1823 or 1824. According to A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to Canada Before Confederation, Margaret went to the same area of New Brunswick as her brother, and since she'd have been a small child at the time, she probably came with her widowed mother. Margaret died in Cape Breton in 1885. Do you have anything on a Donald MacPherson born after 1750, married to a MacVarish, with a family of seven? I don't even know if he was from Loch Eynort--only that John was born there. It's all a shot in the dark.

Thanks for your help. You didn't say whether your names are in a searchable database or on paper. I don't want to ask you to do a difficult search.

Allene

Donald Macpherson (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2004 11:23PM GMT
Edited: 7 Apr 2005 1:49PM GMT
Surnames: Macpherson
Hi Again

I will go back into my notes to see, Our family have several Donald (over 100) we have 18 john
Our line is John Macpherson son of Donald son of Ewen.
In our Family It was common to have have several Donald and John in one family, making the middle name only way to seperate them, Donald Ewen, Donald John, Donald James are all born to the same parents.
I will keep in touch with you and will see what I come up with

Posted: 9 Feb 2004 12:02AM GMT
Edited: 18 Sep 2004 12:31AM GMT
Donald,

Thank you for both replies. I have the same confusing name problem in my family, including scads of Donalds and Daniels who got switched back and forth depending on who translated them from the Gaelic. Unfortunately, I don't have the middle name for John or his father Donald. I greatly appreciate your willingness to look up these people in your database.

Allene

Donald Macpherspn (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2004 11:58PM GMT
Edited: 7 Apr 2005 1:50PM GMT
Surnames: Macpherson
Allene

Send me a direct message to d.ewen.macpherson@sympatico.ca and I can send you all Macpherson Marriages of South Uist

Thanks Don

Posted: 26 Jul 2004 12:26AM GMT
Edited: 24 Apr 2005 10:47PM GMT
Noticed your post regarding John MacPherson and did a look up in my book Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants and found the following:

#9115 MacPherson, John 1802-25 May 1880 son of Donald M. from Loch Enort, Inverness to Black River, Inverness Co. NS before 1840 married Margaret, daughter of John Rankin, qv, children Donald, John, Duncan, Mary, Catherine and Janet. The "qv" means John Rankin is also listed if you want more info let me know.

Posted: 26 Jul 2004 5:45AM GMT
Edited: 18 Sep 2004 12:31AM GMT
Hi Tal,

Thanks for your response. I do have that entry and own the 3-vol. set of the dictionary. I'm trying to work back into the old country now. Since I posted that message, I've managed to get a copy of his land grant issued in 1835. I'm still searching the microfilm reels for the petition, which may have other information.

Thank you again for your message.

Allene
per page

Find a board about a specific topic