Search for content in message boards

Bessie Louise Putman of Morgan County Alabama

Bessie Louise Putman of Morgan County Alabama

Posted: 2 Mar 2008 10:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Putman, Spurlock, Mason, Brooks, Aycock
I’m looking for information on my paternal grandmother Bessie Louise Putman and her parents and sister (or other siblings). She was born January 26, 1926 in Tennessee. She died May 25, 1978 in Decatur, Alabama (Morgan County).

Her parent’s names were George Putman and Mary Spurlock.

My parent’s only know of one sister, and they believe her married name is/was Mary (or Marilyn) Brooks Aycock.

She married William Henry Mason on June 16, 1947 in Athens, Alabama of Limestone County. To my knowledge, my grandparents lived in Decatur, Alabama until they passed away.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Re: Bessie Louise Putman of Morgan County Alabama

Posted: 2 Mar 2008 11:09PM GMT
Surnames: Putman
This isn't my family, so I am only guessing here. This information came from www.BillPutman.com. He should be the one to contact, though I would like to know if I am right.

I think this is the family in the 1930 Alabama Census:-

EMMETT PUTMAN Sand Springs, Limestone County
He is indexed as Elisha but is Emmett Miles Putman. He is 84 TN TN TN and still widowed. He is with his daughter Sallie 38 TN and her husband Arthur Fish 48 AL. He was with his son Jack in Madison County in 1920.

ERNEST PUTMAN Sand Springs, Limestone County
He is 24 AL, his wife Laura M. 23 AL, and they have James 4 7/12 AL and Marvin L. 3/12 AL. He is the eldest son of the following George Putman.

GEORGE PUTMAN Sand Springs, Limestone County
He is a son of Emmett Miles Putman from Madison County in 1910 and they were here in 1920. He is 40 TN AL KY, May his wife 38 AL, Flossie 18 AL, Lucille 13 AL, Darkes 12, Alvie a son 9 AL, Sherman 7 AL, E. P. a son (probably Emmett) 6 AL, George E. 4 AL, Bessie 2 AL and Mary E. 1 AL. His son Ernest lives next door or possibly in the same house. They are sharecroppers.

Posted: 2 Mar 2008 11:26PM GMT
The info you posted is right on George and his Daughter is buried in the Hall Cem. about 3 miles from where I live in fact some of his people paid me a visit and we went to the cem and the stones were in bad shape and she bought replacements and I picked them up and took them to the cem and placed them. Daughter Flossie was murdered in Huntsville,Al in 1936 and that mystery was never solved.

Posted: 14 Mar 2008 3:39AM GMT
I spent a good deal time on BillPutman.com and I looked over several of the Alabama census records. Each census showed the Putman names you shared, and it is close to my Grandma Putman’s birth year. It seemed like a close fit to me.

I shared all of the names with my Dad, and he said only one of them sounded familiar to him. But Dad did say we had family in Limestone County, but they haven’t kept in touch. I’ll keep digging. Thank you!

Tracie Mason Holton

Posted: 14 Mar 2008 3:45AM GMT
I also told Dad about Flossie and her murder, as well as Hall Cemetery, but it didn’t sound familiar to him.

He and I are very curious about Hall Cemetery. Where is it located? Is there anything more you can tell me about it? Thank you for all your help.

Tracie Mason Holton

Posted: 14 Mar 2008 4:32AM GMT
I tried to send you a picture of the Hall Cem but they said it was to big Email me: put4197@ardmore.net
and I will send you all the info on the Cem. and pictures.

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 8:49AM GMT
There was a story written about Flossie's death in the old Huntsville Magazine. Her daughter was raised by my great aunt and uncle Louisa and Melvin Putman. Here is a link to the story http://www.oldhuntsville.com/articles/The%20Murder%20of%20Fl...

Posted: 3 Apr 2014 7:55PM GMT
Thanks eputnam759_1. I've been away from the family tree for a long while, but I did spend a fair amount of time on www.BillPutman.com as you suggested. That is a great resource. And indeed those are our people. Thanks again for the guidance.

Posted: 3 Apr 2014 8:00PM GMT
Thanks garland94. I was home in Decatur in February. My dad and I actually found Hall Cemetery. We took some photos of both Flossie and George's headstones. I couldn't believe how old some of those grave-markers were. Thanks for the info.

Posted: 3 Apr 2014 8:51PM GMT
Hi, sorry to have to tell you that Ed Putnam died 2 years ago. And thanks for liking my website.

Here are Bessie Louise and Mary Ellen with their folks in 1930:

GEORGE PUTMAN Sand Springs, Limestone County
He is a son of Emmett Miles Putman from Madison County in 1910 and they were here in 1920. He is 40 TN AL KY, May Spurlock his wife 38 AL, Flossie 18 AL, Lucille 13 AL, Darkes 12, Alvie (Alvin) a son 9 AL, Sherman 7 AL, E. P. a son (probably Emmett) 6 AL, George E. 4 AL, Bessie Louise 2 AL and Mary E. 1 AL. His son Ernest lives next door or possibly in the same house. They are sharecroppers. He will die in Huntsville, Madison County in 1935, and Mae will be widowed in Dallas, Madison County in 1940.

Then their dad died in 1930 and their mom just couldn't handle all the kids. Here are Bessie and Mary Ellen in the 1940 census, and who were taken in by other families.

BESSIE PUTMAN Athens, Limestone County
She is 11 AL single and lodging with a Rouse family. She is the daughter of George Putman and Mary Spurlock from Sand Springs, Limestone County in 1930.

MARY ELLEN PUTMAN Athens, Shoalford Township , Limestone County
She is 10 AL single and adopted by Fred and Ada Hardie. She was here with them in 1935 too. She is/was a daughter of George Putman and May Spurlock and was at home with them in Sand Springs in 1930. George died in 1935. May must have had her hands full, as there were 8 other kids at home in 1930 besides Mary Ellen. May is currently in Dallas, Madison County with two young ones.

I don't have much on that line, so anything you can add would be great. Here is all I have:

George Putman born in 1886 and died in 1935. He is home with his dad in 1910 in Madison County. In 1920 and 1930 they are in Athens, Limestone County. His wife was Mary Spurlock and they had these children:

Ernest Putman born in 1908. In 1930 he is married to Laura M. and they have James and Marvin.
Flossie Putman born in 1911.
Lucille Putman born in 1916.
Darkus Putman a daughter born in 1917.
Willie D. Putman born in 1920.
Alvie L. Putman a son born in 1921.
Sherman Putman born in 1923.
E. P. Putman a son born in 1924.
George E. Putman born in 1926.
Bessie Louise Putman born in 1928.
Mary Ellen Putman born in 1929.

Bill
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions