Search for content in message boards

no luck with this line

no luck with this line

Posted: 13 Jan 2014 11:31PM GMT
Classification: Query

I'm researching a line of cousins on my Grandmothers side. A Rozalia Toczko (who's existence has been validated already) arrived in NYC on 28 Sep 1909 going to New Britain to her brother Dominik. I don't have any other records for her. Dominik Toczko has a 1920 and 1940 census. A wife Amilia and kids: John, Anne, Mary and Helen. A potential arrival for him has him going to a brother Jan in Middletown who I also cant find, unless I assume he changed his name to Joseph which would be odd.
There IS a Jozef Toczko with a wife Anastasia and kids, Stefan (1911-25) Eugeniusz, Josefa, and Leokadja. but they lived in RI and Brooklyn.

Re: no luck with this line

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 8:10PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jan 2014 8:15PM GMT

U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989
Name:Rozalia Toczko
Residence Year:1930
Street Address:98 Grove
Residence Place:New Britain, Connecticut
Spouse:Jan Toczko
Publication Title:New Britain, Connecticut, City Directory, 1930

Residence Year:1931
Publication Title:New Britain, Connecticut, City Directory, 1931

Residence Year:1932
Publication Title:New Britain, Connecticut, City Directory, 1932

Residence Year:1933
Publication Title:New Britain, Connecticut, City Directory, 1933

Name:Rozalia A Toczko
Residence Year:1935
Street Address:22 Horace
Publication Title:New Britain, Connecticut, City Directory, 1935

Name:Rozalia A Toczko
Publication Title:New Britain, Connecticut, City Directory, 1936

98 Grove Street,New Britan,Ct
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=98+Grove+Street,+New+Britain,...

22 Horace Street,New Britan,Ct
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=22+Horace+Street,+New+Britain...

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 8:30PM GMT
Thanks but Rozalia, Dominik and Jan are all siblings. I have Rozalia's birth cert from Poland and her arrival manifest saying she was coming to her brother Dominik. I have HIS manifest saying he was coming to his brother Jan.

Posted: 15 Jan 2014 12:57AM GMT
This appears to be Dominik in 1910, but Rozalia doesn't show with him:

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=19...

Posted: 15 Jan 2014 1:16AM GMT
Thanks!

Posted: 15 Jan 2014 3:03AM GMT
Edited: 15 Jan 2014 3:26AM GMT
Surnames: Toczko
When was Dominik born? The potential manifest for him in 1906 lists his age as 10...? or maybe 18? It's difficult to read the handwriting. Would either of these birth years fit your Dominik? If not, it might not be the same man.

That manifest also lists a specific address for Jan (looks like 35 Koleyaski...? which doesn't sound quite right.) Have you been able to decipher the street name? Have you found the street in any directories?

I'll keep looking around...

Posted: 15 Jan 2014 3:15AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: Toczko
The potential manifest for Dominik in 1906 has his residence as Sakol. Rozalia Toczko's residence on her manifest is Issnowka, Russia. Do you know if these two places correlate in any way?

Posted: 15 Jan 2014 3:54AM GMT
Edited: 15 Jan 2014 3:59AM GMT
Surnames: Tocsko, Tochko, Toczko
If you look at the Middletown, Connecticut directories here at Ancestry.com, you'll find Andrew and Peter Tocsko in 1905 (image 92), and Peter and Steve Tochko, and Andrew Toczko in 1906 (image 172.) It's likely that they are relatives of Dominik and Rozalia.

Also, in the 1905 directory there are two pages of maps of Middletown in the front of the directory. I did not find any street similar to "Koleyaski." I'm wondering if this is actually a surname and not a street...? There are several men in the 1905 with similar surnames, Kalinaski, for example.

Ancestry.com has Middletown directories ranging from 1868 to 1981. Try browsing (not searching) a few of those. Browsing works better since names can be mis-spelled and the optical character recognition software can be lousy! There are probably more Tocsko, Tochko, Toczko folks listed over the years.

Posted: 15 Jan 2014 4:57AM GMT
Surnames: Tocsko, Toczko, Tozcko
I found a few references to John Tocsko/Toczko in Connecticut newspapers (can't tell if the man in the first article is the same as the other man, though -- and, of course, can't tell if he is your "Jan" either...but these might be clues to other info for you.)

Sues Crane Company
John Tocsko of this city, filed suit yesterday against the Crane company for $10,000 alleging he suffered permanently disabling injuries while in the employ of the defendant company in 1919.
Source: Bridgeport Telegram, October 3, 1924, p. 6

Temperatures Will Be Well Above Freezing Point
The death toll from the cold wave rose to 16 when the body of a man tentatively identified as John Toczko, 70, was found in a railroad yard. Police said he apparently froze to death.
Source: Naugatuck Daily News, February 21, 1958, p. 9 (part of a longer article on the cold wave)

Body Found
Hartford, Feb. 21 – (GP) – Police today tentatively identified the body of a man found half-buried in a snow bank as John Toczko. Tozcko, 70, was found by railroad workers late Thursday in a rail yard. He apparently froze to death.
Source: Naugatuck Daily News, February 21, 1958. p.11 [Note: This has two different spellings of his surname side-by-side!]

Posted: 15 Jan 2014 5:33AM GMT
Edited: 15 Jan 2014 5:34AM GMT
Surnames: Toczko, Grycel
Two things:

According to several trees here at Ancestry.com, a Rose/Rozalia Toczko married a Jan Grycel. Have you seen those? It could be your Rozalia and for some reason she used her maiden name.

Also, I checked the 1958 Hartford city directory here at Ancestry.com for John Toczko and found: (note: rem = removed, i.e., moved)

Toszko John D (Helen A) rem to New Britain

It's possible that this was the man who was found frozen in Hartford, because these directories were usually compiled the year before, i.e., 1957 in this case.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic