Search for content in message boards

Cemeteries in and around Graiguenamanagh

Cemeteries in and around Graiguenamanagh

Posted: 9 Jun 2009 6:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Aide, Kent
Hello, I am wondering if anyone might be able to provide me with a list of cemeteries in and around Graiguenamanagh. I'm also wondering if any of these cemeteries have been transcribed and are online somewhere? I'm looking for the names Aide (Aid or Ade) and Kent. Specifically, Peter, Pierce or Perry Aide.

Thank you!
-Jason

Re: Cemeteries in and around Graiguenamanagh

Posted: 10 Jun 2009 11:35AM GMT
Hello Jason,
Graiguenamanagh tombstone inscriptions were published in book form in 1988/89. While i have not found any "Aides", I have found three Kent memorials in the Skeoghvosteen cemetery.Their inscriptions are:-

"In loving memory of JOHN KENT , Coppemagh, died 26th Nov. 1979 aged 78 yrs. Also his parents THOMAS and JULIA KENT. R.I.P. Erected by his wife and family".

"In loving memory of MICHAEL KENT, Boherkyle, died 5th June, 1962, aged 64 yrs. Also MICHAEL DOWLING died 7th March, 1950, aged 88 yrs. R.I.P, Erected by his loving wife and daughters."

"In loving memory of ELLEN KENT, Courtnaboughilla, died 11th Sep. 1971, aged 60 yrs. Also her husband WILLIAM KENT, died 16th Apr. 1976, aged 70 yrs., R.I.P. Erected by her loving husband and family".

I hope this proves helpful,

Michael.

Posted: 24 Mar 2011 6:40PM GMT
Surnames: Blanchfield
Hello Michael,
Wondering where to find the published listing of burial places in and around Graiguenamanagh that you mentioned in this forum. I'm looking for the surname Blanchfield (or Blanch), in Graig. They were associated with the Abbey R.C. church, and may be buried nearby. Thanks for any assistance.
Terry Manning

Posted: 25 Mar 2011 9:42AM GMT
The memorial inscriptions for the Graiguenamanagh area were publisged in book form by 'St Mullin's Muintir na Tire' in 1998-9. Copies may now be scarce. However, I have verified that it contains a number of 'Blanchfield' memorials and I will copy these to you as soon as I find time.

Michael.

Posted: 3 Apr 2011 6:18PM GMT
Hello Terry,
Sorry for having kept you in suspense for so long. However, I have been quite busy. I am pleased to now provide transcriptions of the Blanchfield inscriptions recorded in Graiguenamanagh cemeteries. The first of these are in the burial ground attached to Duiske Abbey, formerly a cistercian foundation but long the R.C. parish church.

1) "Erected by Leonard Blanchfield in memory of his father Pierce Blanchfield, dep'd Feb. 1st, 1822, aged 74 yrs, also his brother James Blanchf'd, dep'd Dec. 15th ,1809 aged 22 yrs.; his sister, Catherine Blanchf'd, dep'd June 10th., 1809 age 24 yrs., Also the above named Leonard Blanchf'd, who dep'd this life 14th May, 1836 aged 44 yrs, Also his wife, Ann Blanch'fd, dep'd this life Feb'y 22nd , 1840, aged 40 yrs.."

2) "Erected by James Blanchfield in memory of his father, Andrew Blanchfield who dep'd this life May 6th, 1804, aged 80 yrs. Also his mother Margaret Blanchfield who died Jan. 20th , 1816, aged 68 years. And his sister, Mary Blanchfield, who dep'd this life Dec'r 12th, 1835, aged 50 yrs. Also his brother, Leonard Blanchfield, who died Feb'r 1st , 1845, aged 72 yrs. The above James Blanchfield, who dep'd this life Nov'r 11th, 1847, aged 68 yrs.."

3) A Tierney Stone: " Sacred to the memory of Mary Tierney, alias Blanchfield, who dep'd this life July -- 18, aged 21? years. Also her mother Catherine Blanchfield, alias O'Donnell, who dep'd this life July 26th, 1850, aged 71 yrs. Also her father, James Blanchfield, who dep'd this life July, 17th, 1855, aged 88 yrs."

and
4 ) A Murphy Stone " Here lieth the body of George Murphy who dep'd this life Aug. 10th, 1797, aged 59 yrs. Also his wife Bridget Murphy, al's Blanchfield, who dep'd this life July 15th, 1793, aged 52 yrs.."

In Calvary Cemetery, opened in 1955, there is one BLANCHFIELD memorial:-

5) " In loving memory of William Blanchfield, Ballyogan, died 4 Aug, 1965 aged 82 yrs. His wife Sarah died 15 Oct. 1980 aged 88 yrs."

These appear to be all of the memorials commemorating members of the Blanchfield family in Graiguenamanagh parish
which were readable in 1988-89.

Posted: 18 Jun 2013 12:58AM GMT
Was wondering if there are any listings for the Nichol family of Raheendonore. I know there were various ways of spelling their name to include Nicholl and Nickelson. Thanks.

Posted: 18 Jun 2013 8:57AM GMT
Yes Ed. The following is the inscription on a memorial in Duiske Abbey Cemetery:-

"Erected by JOHANNA NICHOLS, in memory of her father JAMES NICHOLLS, Raheendonore, died 1st November 1882, aged 54 years. also her mother, BRIFGET NICHOLS , nee Fitzpatrick, died 22nd december, 1902, aged 80 years. her brother JOHN, died in 1870 aged 18 years; her sisters, MARY, died 17th June, 1885, aged 25 years; Ellen died 7th April, 1894 aged 34 years; MARGARET, died 15th October, 1898,aged 30 years."

There is also an iron cross on another plot bearing the surname "NICHOLS".

In the new Calvary Cemetery there are a further two memorials.

"In loving memory of ALEXANDER NICHOL, Raheendonore, died 30th August, 1976
aged 70 years, R.i.P.."

and
"In loving memory of of DANIEL NICHOL, Raheendonore, died 16th July, 1982, aged 72 years. R.i.P.."
Best Wishes,
MICHAEL.

Posted: 18 Jun 2013 9:44AM GMT
Michael, thank you so much.

Posted: 18 Jun 2013 12:54PM GMT
Surnames: Lyng, Byrne
Hello Michael,

It is wonderful that you can do lookup's for Graiguenamanagh. Might you find any Lyng's or Byrne's.

Can you point me to cemeteries in nearby The Rower

Thank you very much in advance.

Michael

Posted: 18 Jun 2013 4:56PM GMT
Surnames: Blanchfield
Hello Michael,
Thank you very much for taking the time to do this. This is very valuable information for me---these are quite possibly the immediate ancestors of our James Blanchfield (who emmigated in 1849, settled in Bristol, Pennsylvania, USA, and named two of his sons Leonard and Andrew).
With great gratitude,
Terry Manning
per page

Find a board about a specific topic