Search for content in message boards

Johannsen Relatives, local knowledge and help required please….

Johannsen Relatives, local knowledge and help required please….

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 6:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Dec 2012 4:25AM GMT
Surnames: Johannsen, Johansen, Hansen
Hello, here are the search results of the Census 1845. Apparently these people were in a 'poor house' I believe that they also may be my distant relatives, but do not have the resources, language skill or geographical knowledge to fill the gaps; could someone please help with more information i.e. marriages, dates and full names etc. this will assist in verifying the family links. It really looks quite promising, but sadly, could also be wrong.

Sydslesvig, , Nordhackstedt, O. Linnau, , Armenhaus, 14 F1, FT-1845

Name: Age: Marital status: Occupation in household:

Johann P. Johannsen 40 Verheir. Bewohner des Armenhauses
...?? L. Hansen 38 Verheir. Bewohner des Armenhauses s. Ehefrau
A. Cath. Johannsen 11 Unverheir. Kind
Cath. M. Johannsen 9 Unverheir. Kind
Anna Chr. Johannsen 7 Unverheir. Kind
Peter Chr. Johannsen 5?? Unverheir. Kind
Jürg. P. Johannsen 2 Unverheir. Kind 5

If there is anyone who has any information or assistance would be so appreciated, thank you in anticipation.

Kind regards Steve

Re: Finding more, local knowledge and help required please….

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 7:50PM GMT
Hello Steve,

The place is Linnau, today part of Nordhackstedt in the German state of Schleswig-Holstein as you know already

Yes, that was a home for poor people. The whole family lived there:
Johann P. Johannsen, 40 years, married resident
... Johannsen, 38, married resident, his wife
(It would be very unusual to list the wife's maiden name on such a list. So I think her prename was shortened and the last name was Johannsen)
then follow the unmarried children.

I saw todays's posts on the Danish board, a great help. I suggest you write to the archiv as suggested.

Gaby (Germany)

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 7:53PM GMT
http://www.kirchenkreis-schleswig-flensburg.de/kirchengemein...

the website of the Nordhackstedt parish telles you an email address so that you can get in touch directly. I assume they will be able to give you the records you are looking for.

gaby

Reply: Finding more, local knowledge and help required please….

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 2:54AM GMT
Edited: 11 Oct 2012 5:57AM GMT
Hi again Gaby, as you can see I'm a good bit further down the track now thanks to you and the generous people who provide these valuable snippets of information and take the time to respond. Must have been a terrible time for them in the poor house, makes me more determined to find out more now.

I’m at a validation stage now, as quite a bit of the puzzle is fitting together. Can’t do it without the locals though, much appreciated.

Regards Steve

Finding more, local knowledge and help required please….

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 8:04AM GMT
Edited: 17 Oct 2012 8:07AM GMT
Hi again, nope still stuck, are there any other search clues that could point me in the right direction? It is getting information to verify the connection and unfortunately none of the names, although very nice, are unique. The maiden name of Peter Christians' mother Helena Hansen as appears on his New Zealand death certificate may be a red herring; although, is a strange coincidence that the list above mentions Hansen, but the census wouldn't usually list a maiden name...

cheers Steve

Finding more, local knowledge and help required please….

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 6:19AM GMT
Surnames: Johannsen
Hello again,
I have had a lot of success in my quest for this family. It has been a long one. Peter Christian Johannsen and Anna Christina Johannsen nee Johannsen had three children:

Johann Peter Johannsen DOB: 1869

Hans Peter Johannsen DOB: 1870

Arthalina Johannsen DOB: 1872

The family had a very tough life and migrated to New Zealand about 1874 and had two more children here; but the three children born in Nordhackstedt, Schleswig-Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany did not come with them. Can anyone assist with ideas on searches etc. I have tried the DDD but only in the county of Sydslesvig. I’m lost as to where else or what Census papers to look for. Could the children have died early, been adopted or taken from them?

Any clues would be gratefully received.

Kind regards Steve

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 9:46AM GMT
Hello, Steve

I'm a girlfriend of Gaby and I live in Schleswig-Holstein.
I contacted today the church auf Nordhackstedt and asked for the churchregisters. The churchregisters are in Kappeln
and I live in St.Peter-Ording, that is appr. 1 hour to drive
and they open only for 4 hours per week.
Greetings
Evelyn

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 6:32PM GMT
Edited: 7 Nov 2012 6:34PM GMT
Surnames: Johannsen
Hello Evelyn,
Thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply. I now know where the church registers are and will add that knowledge to my list of clues. I have just about finished the Johannsen branch as far as I really need to with-out cluttering things up and now have a concise valuable, documented record for our kids. I can now focus on the history, life and times. This information about the 3 kids is really just to confirm how tough a life they had. It seems to be full of tragedy, the family was in the poor house, 3 kids of theirs born in Germany that didn’t come to New Zealand, Anna Christina died 9 years after arriving in NZ and their son Arthur born in NZ committed suicide at 19, so only one daughter born in NZ survived. How really sad.....

Kind regards Steve

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 2:40AM GMT
Hello folks,

Peter Christian Johannsen and Anna Christina Johannsen nee Johannsen had three children:

Johann Peter Johannsen DOB: 1869

Hans Peter Johannsen DOB: 1870

Arthalina Johannsen DOB: 1872

The family may have had a very tough life and migrated to New Zealand about 1874 and had two more children here; but the three children born in Nordhackstedt, Schleswig-Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany did not come with them.
From the rootdigger.de web site:

Johannsen, Hans Peter * 1870 7 Oct. Accused (in 1892) of leaving the country without a permit for emigration and of not showing for military service.

Johannsen, Johann Peter * 1869 14 June Accused (in 1892) of leaving the country without a permit for emigration and of not showing for military service.

I think this could be the boys, the dates match. This still adds to the mystery as to why mum and dad (Peter & Anna) left them behind, assisted immigrants had their children’s passage paid as well. That is why census records from the 1870's up would be very handy, they must have been staying with a relative surely; or, perhaps an orphanage, or in the Armenhause. It is not normal behaviour for parents to leave their babies, it is absolutely unusual......... that is my dilemma and the clue to my next tip, where can I find these please? I have searched all the resources I know for these census records. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Regards Steve

Re: Reply: Finding more, local knowledge and help required please….

Posted: 19 Jan 2013 5:42AM GMT
Hello, Steve,
the Prussians did take regular census, for the purposes that
there are : evaluation, statistics, development. Genealogy
was not on their minds. So they destroyed the registry sheets
after evaluation or sold them for pulping, to make wallpaper
out of them. What they kept were statistical data.
The pre-Prussian census were preserved and are kept in
Schleswig and in Copenhagen, on microfilm and partly on
paper.

Greetings from your roots,

Klaus (Struve), Kiel, SH - the rootdigger

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions