Search for content in message boards

Fiji Birth Marriage and Death Cert.

Fiji Birth Marriage and Death Cert.

Posted: 31 Mar 2007 1:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jackson /Pfeiffer
Has anyone had any success in viewing BDM cert. held by the LDS? I have tried to order film from my local Family History Center and was told the film is "restricted" which means it can't be copied. If I want to see the film I have to go to Salt Lake City where the film is kept.

Julie

Re: Fiji Birth Marriage and Death Cert.

Posted: 5 Apr 2007 10:22PM GMT
Yes, I have seen them in NZ. If you check the entries for births etc under Fiji in the library Catalog, none of them say anything about restrictions.

The only film that seems to be restricted is

FHL US/CAN Film [ 833153 ]
Title
Report on the census of the population of Fiji, 1881...(and vital records, 1876-1880)

Authors
Fiji. Registrar-General's Office (Main Author)

Notes
Microfilm of manuscript at Suva, Fiji.
Contents: Return of the total population -- Census of Fijians (Provincial dept.) -- Agricultural returns for 1880 (European) -- Return births, deaths & marriages 1880 (Fijian) -- Causes of deaths (Europeans) 1876-1880 -- Meteorological returns 1880.
No circulation to family history centers.

Subjects
Fiji - Census - 1881
Fiji - Civil registration

Maybe go to another FHC and try again.
Christine

Posted: 6 Apr 2007 8:41AM GMT
There is no problem viewing them in Australia either. I have obtained some wonderful full copies of BDMs from the films.
Regards
Joy in Queensland

Posted: 6 Apr 2007 2:05PM GMT
Thank you Christine

As always - your help is most appreciated!

Julie

Posted: 6 Apr 2007 2:07PM GMT
Thank you Joy!

I'll give it another try as we only have one FHC in the city I live closest to.

Julie

Posted: 8 Apr 2007 7:57PM GMT
Hi Julie,

I have been able to order many films via my local FHC on Fiji births, marriages & deaths. I've been able to print microfilm copies of my grandmother's marriage (1920) and her & her siblings birth records (~1885 to 1905).

How far back are you requesting?

It could be that Salt Lake restricts more recent Microfilm or Microfiche but I don't know why they should.

I live in the US. Do you? Just trying to figure out why they would restrict it.

Jeni

Posted: 9 Apr 2007 8:13AM GMT
Hi Julie,
If you get stuck let me know the name and the year and will order the film in to my FHL'
Regards
Joy

Posted: 9 Apr 2007 2:39PM GMT
Hi Jeni

I'm looking for a marriage certificate from about 1888 for my ggrandfather. I went to the Family Search Library on the net and did find the #'s for the BDM's I was looking for and printed them off. The person helping me at the FHC may have been looking at the wrong film #'s. For some reason I was looking in the wrong title area and the person helping me wasn't able to direct me to the right one. Chalk it up to a newbie and my first visit to a FHC! Hopefully these ones are the right ones.Thanks for your reply - I'll post my findings.(PS - I live in Alberta Canada)

Julie

Posted: 9 Apr 2007 2:41PM GMT
Joy

Thanks for the offer! I'll give the FHC here another try and let you know how it goes. Hopefully the #'s I printed off are the right ones!!!!

Regards
Julie

Posted: 22 Jun 2007 7:05PM GMT
I did live in Fiji and searched at the FHC for my husbands family. There are a few years that records are missing, from 1880 -1920. I can't remember exactly when records started again. I would have to go to the archives in downtown Suva and also the library at USP. If you're still having difficulty in finding that info, it's probably because it happened in that time of missing info. Hope you've been successful.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic