Search for content in message boards

Adam Albertson, b. 1815 Norway, son William Adams, b. 1844 July 10, son Anders Adams(en?) to Minnesota

Adam Albertson, b. 1815 Norway, son William Adams, b. 1844 July 10, son Anders Adams(en?) to Minnesota

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 7:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have civil war veteran William Adams, b. 1844 July 10 in Norway, living in 1870 on the census with wife and kids and his father and mother in Minnesota, Adam Albertson and Gunild. Adam born ca. 1815.

Both men (father and son) homesteaded in Douglas County, Orange township, and were naturalized in Douglas county, but those records don't give any place in Norway.

It is obvious that William has Americanized his name. One record says William Anton Adams.

The family emigrated about 1861 from Norway, but obviously there was a name change.

William Adams and wife Caroline (Nelson?) Adams died in Benton County, Minnesota.

Gunild and Adam Albertson supposedly died in Douglas county, Minnesota, she in the 1870's and he about 1880, but I can find no record of their deaths in Douglas county.

Other possible family members of Adam Albertson and Gunild are the children
+William Anton (?) Adams, b. 10 Jul 1844, Norway
died Stearns county, Minnesota 1935.
Andrew Adams, b. 1855, Norway, d. date unknown.
Emeline Adams, b. 1858, Norway, d. date unknown.

Re: Adam Albertson, b. 1815 Norway, son William Adams, b. 1844 July 10, son Anders Adams(en?) to Minnesota

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 9:50PM GMT
Perhaps they came from an area that other early settlers were from?

"Translated from 'Nordmændene i Amerika' by Martin Ulvestad. 1907.

Douglas County
Nels Mickelsen† from the Røraas area was the first Norwegian in Douglas County. He settled in the vicinity of Holmes City in 1865. At that time there were Indians in the neighbourhood. In 1866 many Norwegians came, of whom can be named; John Arntsen from Kobbervik, Ole Brandson† from Hedemarken, Ole Urness†, Lars Grinden† and Amos Johnson†, all from Sogn, Mathias Wolstad†, Sivert Olsen† and Hans Pedersen, all from Hedemarken, Gunder Johnson and Ole Hammer from Trondhjem, Renhard Bottner† from Solør. Petter E. Julin from Hammerfest, Ole Ellefsen from Telemarken as well as Petter Stenstrup, Tore Evensen†, Ole Amundsen†, Albert Barsness, Torsten Hovde, Gunder Knudsen, Jens Gundersen†, Charley Brown†, Karm Øen, Ole Pedersen and Johannes Olesen."...
translated by Olaf Kringhaug

But there was a great reduction in number of Norwegian immigrants during the US civil war, it would have fairly unusual to have come over in 1861.

There also appear to be Norwegian families in Douglas county who used name Eidem which struck me as very similar to Adams.

You have a tough one.

Re: Adam Albertson, b. 1815 Norway, son William Adams, b. 1844 July 10, son Anders Adams(en?) to Minnesota

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 10:38PM GMT
Edited: 27 Oct 2013 10:40PM GMT
They homesteaded in one of the townships of the county that had very few, or no other Norwegians. their son used the last name Adams, which came from Adamsen - his father's name is Adam. Not a very common first name in Norway? Could it have been something else?
(Not from Eidem).

The son William Adams was in the Civil War. I think that is where his name became so Americanized.
I was hoping that someone could find the parents - Adam Albertson b. 1815 (Albrigtsen? Albrichtsen?)

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 9:15PM GMT
Hi Taryn,

Have a look at this family emigrating from Lærdal Sogn og Fjordane 16.th April 1861 below here. Rigth page no 18 to 25:

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8409&i...

Anfind Alfsen b 22 August 1814 ((22/8)
Gunilda Baardsdatter b 21. April 1821 his wife
Baard Anfindsen born 10.th July 1844 (10/7- 44)! son
Alf Do b. 27.October 1848 son
Brithe b 7.Th September 1851 daugther
Anders b 11.Th June 1854 son
Ingeleif b 4.Th November 1857 daugther
Anders b 7.Th July 1860 son

Baards christening confirm his birthdate as 10.Th July link below here no 113:

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=11598&...

Geir Eide

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 12:46PM GMT

Baard Alfsen is listed in Holden Goodhue Co in Minnesota 1865 census. He is listed as a soldier in the census. This is most likely the family I found emigrated from Lærdal, Sogn og Fjordane in 1861

Holden, Goodhue Co. Minnesota 1865:

Anphin Alfsen
Gunhilda Alfsen
Anders Alfsen
Ingelev Alfsen
Baard Alfsen

There is a Bour Anfindsen 18 ys among norwegians in the cicil war. Recidence; Holden Goohue Co Mn, born in Lærdal Norway. This has to be Baard Alfsen. Both name combinations are rare.

http://vesterheim.org/CivilWar/db/a/anf/000635.html

I cannot find any persons of this famliy in the 1870 US census. I have aslo browsed the images ( 19) from the Holden census The _Alfsen _ family is not there in 1870 . This info is not any evidence to connect Baard Anfindsen/ Alfsen to William Adams in Orange township Douglas Co.

However there are som circumstential evidences. Baard Anfindsen (aka Alfsen) wa born 10.Th July 1844 . I think he is the same person as William Adams in Orange, Douglas Co. Mn.

Same birthdate .10.Th July 1844
Identic immigration year 1861.
He has been a soldier in the Civil war.
His siblings names in 1870 are not that unlike their norwegian names.
Their mothers name is, Gunhild.
His own and fathers names Baard and Anfind has probably been changed.

There was a norwegian church in Holden in 1861 may be Caroline and Williams eldest son Antone ( 5 ys in 1870) was christened there ?

His siblings in 1870 are Andrew ( Anders) 15 ys Emeline 12 ys (Ingelev ?)

Geir

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 1:56PM GMT
Excellent research, Geir!

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 2:46PM GMT
Wow Geir! That noise I heard during the night was the sound of a Genealogy Brick Wall falling down! This one really had me stumped. I volunteer at my local historical society and people come in to try to get help with finding their ancestors, and I couldn't find any records of this family with those "Americanized" names or their connection to Norway, but I believe that you found them!
Taryn

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 6:42PM GMT
I also think these are the folks you are searching, Taryn !. I see Brian Gaber agrees, and that is never a bad sign ;O) . Thanks Brian.

Hope there are some evidences to be found in Holden can confirm the "Adams family " came from Lærdal . Or DNA samples from any realtives in Norway ...? ?

Geir

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 8:33PM GMT
I think you were right about all of it. He went by William B. Adams, later in life. The military records are correct also.
Here is his listing on findagrave.com
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Ad...;

Which tells about his military record - same record as the one you posted for Bour Anfinson!
The brother Andrew (Anders) and Sister Emeline, both had birth years that were a good match for the family, and so did the mother Gunild (the only family member who kept her same name?)
Three of the children who left Lærdal Norway were not on the 1865 census. I wonder when they died? At sea or after they arrived in Goodhue county.
There are other Alfsen families in that same Goodhue county area, and I think they could be brothers of Anfind Alfsen. More work can be done here in Minnesota on that.

Thank you for your help!
Taryn

Posted: 9 Nov 2013 6:04PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
May be this info can shed some more ligth on the Alfsen /Adams family :

1865 US census Holden Goodhue page 5 Brita Alfsen ( 1851- ) (sic) seem to be there as well, listed in family 167.

Alf Anphinsen (sic) ( 1848 – ) is also in Holden in 1865 page 8. family 6. He did later seem to settle in Crawford Co. Wisconsin. A daugther Caroline born in Crawford 1875 did later marry Ingemand Sivesund born 1871 in Waukon, Iowa. (See enclosed attachment)May be he changed his family name to Nasch ( They were living at Neset previous to their emigration). And there is a Albert Nasch in Crawford in 1880 with a daugther Caroline age 5 ys. Need more extended research to confirm that.

Anders b 1860 passed away in 1861 according to Lærdal Bygdebok Borgund Sokn. p 151. May be during the voyage.See enclosed attachment.

A brother of their father, Anfinn; Johannes Alfson 1808-82 married to Guri Olsdatter, Lo 1789-1870 is also in Holden in 1865.
Se enclosed attachment.

Geir
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic