Search for content in message boards

Wiebke

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 1:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
My grandmother's name was Wiebke. About 15 years after arriving in the US in 1889, she starting going as Phoebe

What is the meaning/origin of the female name Wiebke? Is there an English equivalent?

Thanks

Re: Wiebke

Posted: 13 Oct 2013 3:57AM GMT
My German gg grandmother was also named Wiebke and later was known as Phoebe. I never had it historically confirmed but understand from my mother it was an Anglicized version of the German name yes. Hope this helps!

Posted: 13 Oct 2013 6:57AM GMT
Hi,

Wibke or Wiebke is the diminunitive for Wib ( wife in English ) , You can find a similar term in Scots: wifockie stands for a liittle woman. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminutive . Wibke is common in Scandinavian languages and in Frisian.

Kind regards,

Thomas

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 8:57PM GMT
I also have a great-grandmother named Wiebke, later Phoebe. She also had a daughter named Wiebke who died in infancy. She married Jurgen Neuwerk in Germany, then emigrated to the USA in 1882 and lived in Illinois. I have been unable to find her family in Schleswig-Holstein or any of Germany. Is there a chance I could be related to any of the other Wiebke/Phoebe responders?

Thanks,
Sharon Marconi

Posted: 18 Oct 2013 2:40PM GMT
Juergen Neuwerk and Wiebke and children emigrated from Hohn in Schleswig-Holstein. It's not far away from the town Rendsburg.

Posted: 21 Oct 2013 5:58AM GMT
Your ancestral Wiebke was Wiebke Rahn born 1853.
You will find her parents' names in the emigrants
database at www.rootdigger.de

Greetings from SH,

Klaus (Struve) - the rootdigger
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions