Barbara (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Deed
Surnames: POLK, WHEELER, MOORE, SMITH, ROBINSON
Deed to Grove Hill Methodist Church
Vol. 7, page 421, DeSoto Parish, Louisiana

"State of Louisiana
Parish of DeSoto

Be it known, that this day I, Zurrell T. POLK, a resident of the Parish of DeSoto and State of Louisiana, declare that I do by these presents grant, sell, convey and deliver, with full guaranty of title, and complete transfer and subrogation of all rights and actions of warranty against all former proprietors of the property presently conveyed unto:

Actius C. WHEELER, Benjamin F. MOORE and Benjamin E. SMITH, trustees of the DeSoto Circuit, in the Shreveport District of Louisiana Conference and their successors in the office; the following lands lying and being situated in the Parish of DeSoto and State of Louisiana, aforesaid known and described as follows to-wit:

Beginning at the Northwest corner of section twelve (12) in township eleven North (11) and twelve West (12), Louisiana meridan and running South one hundred and seventy-five (175) yards; thence East one hundred and forty (140) yards to the place of beginning, containing five (5) acres more or less, together with all buildings and improvements thereon belonging to have and to hold the said described property unto the said purchasers, Actius C. WHEELER, Benjamin F. MOORE and Benjamin E. SMITH, Trustees and their successors in office forever, in trust, that said premises shall be kept, used, maintained and disposed as a place of Divine Worship for the use of the Ministry and Membership of the Methodist Church South, subject to the discipline, usage and Ministerial appointments of said Church as from time to time authorized and declared by the General Conference within whose bounds the said premises are situated. This sale is made for the consideration of the sum of Twelve (12) Dollars in cash lawful money of the United States of America, the payment of which in full is hereby acknowledged to have been received.

Done and passed in DeSoto Parish in presence of Henry O. SMITH and John E. ROBINSON competent witnesses, on this the thiry-first (31) day of July A. D. Eighteen Hundred and Ninety-four (1894).

Signed:
Zurrell T. POLK
Actius C. WHEELER
Benjamin F. MOORE, Secretary
Benjamin E. SMITH

Attest:
Henry O. SMITH
John E. ROBINSON"

Re: Methodist Church Deed, 1894

Posted: 10 Mar 2013 9:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SMITH/MC DOW/GORHAM/ALDRICH/HOPKINS
Does anyone have any connection to the Smith's who are on this deed?

I had a Henry L. Smith b. 1833, GA & died 1876 Sabine Parish, LA & he was a Methodist Minister.

I have been trying to tie Henry L. Smith to parents/siblings for about 45 years. He served the whole Civil War in the 12th LA Inf. Co. A No. LA Cadets.

The Minister's seem to run fairly strong in his family since both his son's (Samuel A. & Raleigh Reese Smith) became Methodist Ministers and his brother-in-law who was with them in Sabine Parish, LA 1870 Census, William Reese McDow, also became a Methodist Minister.

I would really love to connect this Henry L. Smith b. 1833 GA to parents and siblings.

Thank you for your time.

Charlene ccs1101@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions