Search for content in message boards

Looking for Rosencrantz Ancestors who may have come from this area of Germany

Looking for Rosencrantz Ancestors who may have come from this area of Germany

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 7:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rosencrantz
Hello,
I'm looking to try and trace my Rosencrantz ancestors, and I looked up the origin of that surname and it mentions that a good many people of that name came from Schleswig Holstein, and I'm looking to find anyone who has family with the Rosencrantz name who eventually settled in Nova Scotia, Canada.
Thanks so much,
Vanessa

Re: Looking for Rosencrantz Ancestors who may have come from this area of Germany

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 4:27PM GMT
Hi Vanessa,

There really isn't enough information in your post for anyone to be able to help much. If you could provide a name or two and a time frame - approximate birth year or even an immigration year -it might enable someone to help. (And when searching in Schleswig/Holstein, don't forget to check the records for the southern part of Denmark. This area was under Danish rule, then in 1864 came under Prussian rule and in 1871 became part of the German Empire and then back to Denmark again in 1920. Many immigrants from that area would have listed Germany as their birthplace on records in the US or Canada)

J. Murphy

Re: Looking for Rosencrantz Ancestors who may have come from this area of Germany

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 4:19PM GMT
Hi,
I know, I'm at a brick wall. My only Rosencrantz family member I have names and dates for is my 2nd great grandmother, Ellen Rosencrantz b. 7 Feb 1828 in Nova Scotia, Canada and died 21 Aug 1910 in Salem, Massachusetts. I do have a paper from another relative (my grandfather's sister) and she states that Ellen was born in Germany. I've got other documents (a census) that states she was born in NS Canada. I'm not counting on either to be true unless I find out for sure. I do have names for her parents, but I found the info on someone elses tree, and no documents to prove it. I only have the info on my tree just incase it's proven to be so, It can always be changed. The location of Germany I stated, was I looked up origins of the Rosencrantz name, and it came up with this section of Germany. So I figured maybe someone on the post may have ancestors that imigrated from this section and settled in Nova Scotia (Annapolis county I think). Thankyou for the info about Denmark. I'll check that too.

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 6:23PM GMT
I find only one Rosencrantz burial in Clinton County,IA

ROSENKRANZ FRANCIS L. "FRANK" 06/29/1926 04/28/2003 Clinton IA 05/02/2003 76 Born: Michigan City, IN - Married 5/27/1940 In Michigan City to Betty Schumacher - Buried Swan Lake Mem. Garden, Micigan City, IN SEE REMARKS

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 11:20AM GMT
I'm sorry, but I'm not looking for descendants of any Rosencrantz, I'm looking for ancestors, and they settled in Canada, not the U.S., the ones I'm looking for. Thankyou, but that doesn't help me any. sorry.

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 4:00AM GMT
Although you may not be looking for descendants, they just might hold a key to an ancestor of theirs that would relate in some way to the ancestor you are looking for. Don't ever miss the opportunity to connect with someone -- they may have the key that brick wall of yours!

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 5:12AM GMT
Hi, you're right, I apologize if I sounded snooty, or arrogant, it wasn't my intention. I never thought about it that way before. Thankyou so much. :)
Vanessa

Posted: 26 Aug 2013 10:51PM GMT
Surnames: Rosencran(t)z
Sorry for reviving an ancient thread - but I've only just found it!

My 3x great-grandmother was Anna Louise Elisabeth Rosencranz (Rosencranz/Rosencrantz would have been used pretty much interchangeably), born about 1800 in Rehna married Johann Jacob Wilhelm Wunderwald(t) in Travemünde in 1833. Rehna, her birthplace, is in what is now Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (but not far from Schleswig-Holstein), Travemünde is now part of Schleswig-Holstein (it was formerly part of the city state of Lübeck).

There may not be a connection, but I thought I'd mention it!

AW: Looking for Rosencrantz Ancestors who may have come from this area of Germany

Posted: 3 May 2014 8:49AM GMT
Hi ,
i am just a few days here , ähm ... i come from Schleswig-Holstein , near Kiel .
In the neighborhood of my home village is a village names "Schinkel" , near Kiel too .
There is a big Farm called "Gut Rosenkrantz" , i dont know about the owner but maybe thats what you are search . Maybe you get Information at the townhall in "Gettorf" , postcode : 24214 , Schinkel has the same postcode and perhaps there are documents about Rosenkrantz Family .

greets from north germany :-)
Björn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions