Search for content in message boards

Sorenson family in Crookston

Sorenson family in Crookston

Posted: 14 Apr 2002 4:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Mar 2003 11:43PM GMT
Surnames: Sorenson
I would like to find out about relatives from Crookston. My father was Arnold Hilmer Sorenson,son of Carl and Inga Sorenson. He was born in Crookston Minnesota on November 29th,1921. My great grandfather,I believe was named Soren Ostre. Any information would be much appreciated. I will be coming out to Crookston to visit in June. Thanks

Stewart Sorenson

Charlotte, Michigan

Re: Sorenson family in Crookston

Posted: 6 Feb 2010 9:27PM GMT
Surnames: Sorenson,Vikjord,Olle,Arsneau,Helm,Simonsen,Winter
I am looking for information on the family of Carl A Einar Sorenson and Constance Vikjord of Crookston Minnesota. Children were Lillian, born around 1911, Edith/Vickie, 1913, married to Edwin Simonsen, Einar, in 1915, married to Anna Olle, Margaret, in 1917 married to Arthur Arsneau, Evelyn in 1919 married to Vernon Helm, Elida also in 1919 was married to Henry Winter. My father was Arnold Hilmer Ferdinand Sorenson, born in 1921. I am most interested in finding out about Lillian and Evelyn. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Stewart Sorenson
Charlotte, Michigan

Posted: 7 Feb 2010 5:17PM GMT
Stewart,
From MNHS I learned Evelyn's middle names (which I'm sure you havebut I thought I'd post here. It helps eliminate other Evelyn Helms.
Sorenson, Evelyn Lilly Christine
Date of Birth: 08 Apr 1919
Mother Maiden Name: Vickjord
certid# 1919-23957
County of Birth: Polk

I think I also found her husband's SSDI notice:
Name: Vernon Helm
SSN: 470-03-9710
Last Residence: 98107  Seattle, King, Washington, United States of America
Born: 26 Mar 1914
Died: Mar 1970
State (Year) SSN issued: Minnesota (Before 1951)

There was a death record for an Evelyn L Helm in Seattle but with the wrong birth date. I suppose she could still be alive. Whitepages.com shows an Evelyn L Helm of Seattle, age 89.

Posted: 7 Feb 2010 5:32PM GMT
Surnames: Sorenson,Helm, Vikjord
According to the granddaughter of Evelyn, she supposedly died around 1963 or 1964. A cousin of mine also thought it was around 1966. Vernon Helm supposedly married a second person named Evelyn who may be the one listed as being 89. I appreciate your quick response. If you have any information on a Lillian Sorenson, born around 1911 in North Dakota, mother was Constance Vikjord and she was adopted by my grandfather, Carl Einar Sorenson along with her sister Edith (Victoria)that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your response.

Stewart Sorenson
Charlotte, Michigan

Posted: 7 Feb 2010 7:54PM GMT
Washington death index. FYI
Name: Evelyn L Helm
Date of Death: 23 Oct 1966
Place of Death: Seattle
Residence: Seattle
Certificate: 022602

Appears there was either another child (from MNHS) ...or this is Margaret's birth name (Maybe Constance Margaret)
Sorrenson, Constance
Date of Birth: 30 Nov 1916
Mother Maiden Name: Vikjord
certid# 1916-25590

You say that Edith/Vickie was also adopted yet I see:
Sormson, Selma Edith Victoria (assume this is a transcription error of last name)
Date of Birth: 21 Jun 1913
Mother Maiden Name: Vikjord
certid# 1913-22962

1920 census shows Lillian E being the only child born in ND... since her mother is unmarried living with her parents in Crookston in 1910, was the child born out of wedlock?

You might contact the library in Crookston and ask for a look up of an obituary for:
Name: Mrs Constance Marie Sorenson
Death Date: 30 Mar 1922
Death County: Polk
State File Number: 010931
It might give some of her history, first husband's name if there was one.

Someone else from the Wahl family posted this from the Wahl Family History:
June 21, 1912- Marriage Bann from Constance Vikjord Engaged-Due to family issues the Father of Constance made her marry someone else (that could be your Sorenson ancestor). Wahl might be the father of her first child Lillian? Just some guesses.

Posted: 7 Feb 2010 10:46PM GMT
Surnames: Sorenson/Vikjord
Firstly, the date you found for Evelyn's death coincides with the year my cousin thought in 1966. Secondly,one of my great aunts and sister to my grandfather was named Selma, so that also makes sense. I think my grandmother was probably pregnant with her at the time of the"arranged" marriage to my grandfather. So perhaps the Wahl ancestor was father to both her and Lillian. Lastly I had Margaret being born approximately in 1917 based on census information, but that could very likely have been right too. I only had the date of her death in 1950. What I had been told is that Lillian and Selma Edith Victoria had the same father and Connie Vikjord's father refused to let him marry her hence the arranged marriage. Thanks again for the information. It is helping. Stewart Sorenson

Posted: 15 May 2010 3:13PM GMT
Surnames: Sorenson/Wahl
I have not found anything on my aunt Lillian Sorenson, born around 1910 in North Dakota. It does appear that the father of Lillian and Selma Edith Victoria is likely some one named Wahl. Do you know anything of the descendants who were researching Wahl and how I might be able to contact them? Thank you for your previous information.

Stewart Sorenson
Charlotte, Michigan

Posted: 15 May 2010 4:10PM GMT
If you have Ancestry, do a search in family trees for Hilmar Morris Wahl, you'll find a notice of a marriage bann on Jun 21, 1912 to Constance Vikjord. If you click on the owner's name (blessingstoyou1), you'll see a place to contact them.

Posted: 15 May 2010 5:38PM GMT
Edited: 16 May 2010 1:31AM GMT
Surnames: Sorenson, Wahl, Simonson, Vikjord
I don't have a membership with Ancestry but I can try at the Michigan State Library which has a genealogy center. I take it then that Hilmar Wahl must be the would-be suitor of my grandmother Constance Vikjord and father of Selma and Lillian. Interesting that he last lived in Montana in the same county where Selma Edith Victoria and Edwin Simonson had lived. Thank you for the additional information.

Posted: 5 Jul 2010 6:05PM GMT
Surnames: Sorenson/Vikjord/Wahl
I was able to connect with direct descendants of Hilmar Morris Wahl and they have confirmed that Selma Edith Victoria Sorenson WAS the biological daughter of him and Constance Marie Vikjord, although they did not confirm Lillian Sorenson. One interesting twist, which I have not been able to figure out is that there is a Marie Vikjord (Vikpod) in the 1910 census taken in Grand Forks North Dakota. She is born approximately the same year(1889). I was able to get a glimpse of a household, but did not recognize any names. I'm assuming since Constance was living at home in Crookston in 1910 that perhaps she was either going to school or working in Grand Forks at the same time. I would greatly appreciate a lookup of this 1910 census in North Dakota. Most interesting is that her daughter Lillian was born in North Dakota in either 1910 or 1911. Thank you for any information. Stewart Sorenson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic