Search for content in message boards

Briggs in Illinois

Briggs in Illinois

Ashley (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2000 10:09PM GMT
I am looking for info on Briggs' in Illinois. My grandfather is Lester 'Cud' Briggs and he married Marguerite Short. He has a brother, Harold Briggs. The name Clarence Briggs comes up somewhere before them. We also believe they came over on the Mayflower. Most of my Briggs family live in Casey, Ill. That is all the info I have right now. I would appreciate it if anyone has anything else.

Briggs in Illinois

Posted: 15 Sep 2000 10:25AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 4:50PM GMT
I am originally a Briggs from Illinois and have traced back my line to England. I am not familiar with the specific names you mentioned, however if you find a "Daniel" I might be able to help. I have four of them in a line!
Clement Briggs came to America not on the Mayflower but on the Fortune, the second ship to arrive in 1621. He may be the early one you have heard of. I can direct you to a site that shows that if you are interested.

Kathy (who was born a Briggs!)

Briggs in Illinois

Posted: 16 Sep 2000 2:51PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2003 5:53PM GMT
My great grandfather, George D. Briggs was born in Illinois in 1862. He died in 1931 in Paterson, NJ. He married Jennie McAuslin. His parents are George Briggs and Rachael Christie. Could he be related to your Briggs? I can trace the Christie's back forever, but I have hit a wall with the Briggs. Linda

Briggs in Illinois

Posted: 16 Sep 2000 3:20PM GMT
Your George would have been a contemporary of my greatgrandfather, Andrew Morris. I know all of Andrew's siblings, and there is no George. This family was from New Windsor and around Mercer County.

Prior to this generation, my Briggs were all in Massachusetts.

Briggs in Illinois

Posted: 16 Sep 2000 3:36PM GMT
wonder if he could have been a cousin. Your the closest I've come to any link. Linda

Briggs in Illinois

Posted: 16 Sep 2000 4:36PM GMT
Kathy, I went on Ancestry.com's census search and found a million Briggs in Illinois-so I guess the odds are not good we're related. But I did find what may be my George D. Briggs, from Cook County, Il, living at 12 W. Chicago. I see there were other people living there;Jeremiah, and Nancy. Sound familiar? Linda

Briggs in Illinois

Posted: 16 Sep 2000 6:54PM GMT
No, Linda. Sorry. Briggs was a fairly common name and probably came originally from the north of England or southern Scotland. You need to start with the one Briggs you know and work backwards using public records: death certificates, census records, marriage licenses. It is slow work but it is amazing what you can find out with just a few clues. I wish you luck.

BRIGGS

Roxy (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2000 11:55AM GMT
Kathy I am searching for a Nancy Briggs who married a John Cobb came from MASS in 1600s went to Illinois has 12 children have you seen this name in your works. Thanks Roxy
Posted: 19 Oct 2000 3:18PM GMT
Sorry, Roxy....nary a Nancy in my line, nor does the Cobb name ring a bell. Good luck!
Kathy

Briggs in Illinois

Angie Erickson (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2000 1:43PM GMT
Do you have any info on a Richard Briggs who married
Millicent Louise Spowage. I know they lived in
Sicamore Illinois and he was a Shoemaker. dates
around mid to late 1800's. they had a daughter
Gertrude Anne who was born in Sicamore in 1851.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions