we have been trying for so long but the boer war
is just a step to far it would seem
please help if you can
cilla

Re: sargent frederick berry

Posted: 4 Jul 2013 10:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Jul 2013 10:49PM GMT
I couldn’t find a record for him in the WO97 series documents (British Army attestaion & discharge papers) at the National Archives (also available on Findmypast), suggesting he died in service or served in a none regular army capacity.

GRO Death registration

Berry, Frederick Joseph; age 37; Sep Qtr 1905; District Tendring; vol 4a; page 372

Do you have a copy of the death certificate? It may mention if he was still serving at the time.

If not you can obtain one online using the above reference from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

If he served in the 2nd Anglo Boer War he should have received the Queen’s South Africa Medal, the roll of which is on Ancestry. I don’t have access to Ancestry’s datasets so cannot look for you and I’m sure someone will have an easier way to get to the rolls, but I can only get to it from:

Search (top menu bar) > All records (scroll down) select United Kingdom (bold type) > (scroll down to Military > select UK, Military Campaign Medal & Award Rolls 1793-1949

Enter his first name (only), last name, keyword sergeant, under campaign or service select South Africa – Second Boer War. If no returns remove sergeant.

You should find him.

If you don’t have a subscription you can purchase pay per view credits.

Re: sargent frederick berry

Posted: 2 Feb 2014 3:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
If you are still looking, your lack of response suggests you may have found another source.
None the less - of the 17 F Berry Soldiers found only one was a sergeant.

Name: BERRY, F
No: 4307
6th Battalion The Duke Of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex Regiment)

The 6th Battalion was a part time Militia battalion of the regiment and was formerly known as the 1st, or Royal East Middlesex Regiment of Militia

His Militia Attestation papers are available on Findmypast

No 4307 Frederick Berry bc 1854; Parish Hoxton, London, Middlesex.
Last name: BERRY
Attested into 4th Battalion Middlesex Regiment aged 34 yrs 6mths 7 Nov 1888.
Served from 1888 until November 1900 discharged as sergeant.
Papers states he had previously served for 12 years with the ? Dragoon Guards (year of discharge masked by paper fold).
The National Archives reference: WO96

That Him?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic