Search for content in message boards

Should DNA results change my Census choice?

Should DNA results change my Census choice?

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 3:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello All,
I recently got my DNA results and was wondering, if I received a large amount of South European should I then consider the idea that I am Hispanic? It is my third largest category when honestly I didn't expect it at all.
Perhaps I am a romantic but I like to be as accurate as possible for census purposes so I am wondering what percentage I should consider relevant. I'm at about 20%.

Thanks,
H

Re: Should DNA results change my Census choice?

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 1:20AM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2013 1:21AM GMT
Hi H,

I really wouldn't consider changing my racial/ethnic/census designation based on the results of a Biogeographical Analysis (BGA) and especially NOT based on Ancestry's BGA!
Please read Roberta Estes' blog post: Proving Native Ancestry Using DNA http://dna-explained.com/category/biogeographical-analysis-b...
which explains BGA and other dna testing.
Hope this helps! :)

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 6:19PM GMT
South European? Do you mean South American? The former isn't related to being Hispanic.

I wouldn't worry about the Census. It's once every 10 years anyway. And it's about self-identification. The question is, does the information change your self-identity?

It very well might. But you need to verify it first. Ancestry's ancestry information is notoriously bad. If you test elsewhere and get the same results (or if you take your raw data and plug it into the awesome ancestry tools at gedmatch.com, assuming you have raw data), that's step one. Or if you take this and go have a chat with some of your older relatives and find out some family stories, that's step two (or co-step one, your choice).

So go ahead and explore it. With 20% that means you probably have a grandparent who identified as Hispanic or Latin American or Indian. Or a couple of great-grandparents. Unless there is an adoption or non-paternal event in your past, this is information someone in the family may know. Or things you can discover with documents.

So how does it change your view of yourself and your family? That's what matters.

Have fun with it and don't worry about what to say on government forms.

Cyndi

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 6:52PM GMT
If you received a high portion of Southern European you're looking at Italy, Spain, and Portugual. Native North and Native South American are the designations used in AncestryDNA for Hispanic populations.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions