Search for content in message boards

Rathje

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 8:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am seeking info on my Gt Grandfather Heinrich (Henrich) aka Henry. He was born abt 1837 we presume in Holstein, Germany (listed at Holoteim on his daughter's birth certificate presumably incorrect spelling)His father was Henrich a Boatman; his mother Ida - according to his death certificate which also stated he had lived in NZ 35yrs and Victoria, Australia for 3yrs. He married my Gt Grandmother in NZ in 1875 then he was listed as being a Widower. Family stories say he was a Danish merchant seaman who jumped ship in New Zealand and went gold mining.Any info would be appreciated.

Re: Rathje

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 2:22AM GMT
Hello. Your posting struck a chord with me because my 2nd great grandfather was a man from Hamburg, Germany who jumped ship in Adelaide or so family stories told. My research revealed he was reported as a ship's deserter in Sydney in 1855 and the ship's listing reveals him as the Danish "kook". Since he never changed his name, it is probable that he opted for a one way voyage only but ships' captains always listed these seaman so they could claim any unpaid wages (often the amount of the reward for the deserter)!

I have found an entry for "Rathje H", who is listed as one of the Chief Fireman on HOHENSTAUFEN of Bremen that arrived in Sydney in 1889

- http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1889/04/136hoh.htm

Additionally, I suggest that you look through the entries for emigrants found at

- http://www.rootdigger.de/

These may assist you with some leads to pursue or consider contacting Web site owner Klaus Struve, who may be able to provide additional assistance.

Good luck,
-Frances Bluhdorn-
Sydney, Australia

Re: Rathje

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 9:58AM GMT
Dear Frances - many thks for yr msg;I apologise for the delay in answering - have been away in Q'ld. Yr info is very interesting: I will study the websites for more info: the H.Rathje-Chief Fireman is probably not my Gt Grandfather as he would have been 52yrs then and the list noted the crewman as 40yrs but I will check this further.I will also contact Klaus Struve. My email is juliak35@bigpond.com. I would be happy to pass on all other info I have on Heinrich Rathje if you contact me. He stated he was a widower when he married my maternal Gt Grandmother.
Regards Julia
per page

Find a board about a specific topic