Search for content in message boards

Ferguson - Bedford County, VA

Ferguson - Bedford County, VA

Kathy Ferguson-Smith (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2000 10:55PM GMT
I am a descendant of Thomas Ferguson who migrated with his family from Bedford County, VA in the 1840's-50's to Taylor and Adair County, KY. Thomas and Cynthia had at least 11 children. I am uncertain how many of these children were born in Bedford County, VA, though I know that John Wesley was. I have been unable to determine the parents of Thomas Ferguson, though from an Adair County obituary, it may have been Jeremiah. Does anyone else have any information they would be willing to share. I would be happy to share any information I have accumulated on the descendants of Thomas and Cynthia Ferguson.

Thomas Ferguson

Janice Williams (View posts)
Posted: 3 Apr 2000 10:23PM GMT
Hi! I am looking for Edna Ellen Ferguson b. Bedford around 1870's married Andrew Jackson Aliff...she was my great grandmother..know her father was Thomas. Also, looking for Sarah Ferguson who married George Griffin Kasey. Anything you have would be appreciated. Thanks JanW316@aol.com

Thomas Ferguson

Sheila Gay (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2000 1:17PM GMT
Hello,
I have a Thomas Ferguson in my line who married Cynthia Snider. Thomas was b. sometime around 1800 to Jeremiah Ferguson Jemima Phelps. Could this be the one you are looking for, if so email and I'll send more info.

Thomas Ferguson

Kathy Ferguson-Smith (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2000 12:13AM GMT
I think we are writing about the same ones! Where are you from? I live in Adair County, Ky. According to my information, Thomas and Cynthia migrated to the Taylor Co./Adair Co. area of Kentucky between 1840 and 1850. I would appreciate any information you could give me and I am more than willing to share.

I know very little of what happened to Thomas and Cynthia's children. One was apprenticed to a blacksmith in Mannsville, Taylor Co., Ky. and married the blacksmith's daughter. Andrew was killed in the Civil War (I believe at Chickamaugua, though I do not have my research in front of me). My great-great-great grandfather John Wesley also fought in the Civil War alongside Andrew but received a medical discharge before that battle. I also know there were several daughters of Thomas and Cythia Ferguson. I have been able to find only a few marriage records, though my research has consisted mainly of Adair County. Most likely they would be found in the Taylor or Casey County Marriage records.

I have been told that several of the Ferguson's of Adair County migrated on to the area around Albany, Ky. but, if there is a connection with ours, I haven't found it yet. I do know that there were already some Ferguson's living here when Thomas and Cynthia arrived. I don't know if there is a connection there either.

As you can see, my information in spotty at best. I can help you fill in most of the descendants of at least one branch. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thomas Ferguson of Bedford, Virginia

Sheila (View posts)
Posted: 16 Apr 2000 6:08PM GMT
Hi Kathy,
Here is what I have of Jeremiah and Jemima (Phelps) Ferguson's children:

Elizabeth m. Josiah Maxey, Jr.
Nancy m. Elizabeth Hatcher
Polly m. Stephen Semones, 14 Mar 1805, in Bedford VA
Thomas m. Cinthia Snider
John P. b. 1805 m. Sophia Ann Heptinstall, 8 Aug 1825 d. ca 1880-1900 (John P. is my ggg-grandfather)

This is all that I have. I didn't know that Thomas went to Kentucky, but would love to have your info on the family after their migration. Who is Andrew? I am looking about Confederate Soldiers in my ancestry, so if you have any info. on this, I would be thrilled to get it.

I have some more ancestry on Jeremiah if you would like it. Email me at sargay@juno.com directly, I'd love to correspond.

Thanks so much,
Sheila Gay

Ferguson and Maxey lines

Posted: 9 Jul 2000 11:44AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 8:36PM GMT
I'm collecting descendants of all Maxey lines in US... If you know of descendants of Elizabeth Ferguson and Josiah Maxey, I'm very interested in sharing data.

Glen Maxey
Box 2505
Austin TX 78768

Re: Thomas Ferguson

Jim Ferguson (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2001 5:11PM GMT
Surnames: Ferguson
I am not a decendant of Thomas but of Jesse, also a son of Jeremiah Ferguson, and Jemima Phelps. I have lots of data but none of Thomas. Am interested in such. jimf

Posted: 19 Oct 2005 9:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Feb 2006 1:20PM GMT
Kathy, Not sure if you are still out there, but I thought I would give it a try. My first ex-wife, and mother of my daughter, is Donna Gay Ferguson, daughter of Donald Bradley and Helen Elizabeth (Schuster) Ferguson. She was born in Beech Grove, Marion Co, IN on 2 Feb 1961. Her father, Don, was born 6 Jun 1936 in Adair Co, KY to Dewey Leonard and Dema Elizabeth (Roberts) Ferguson. Don died on 10 sep 2001 in Arcadia, FL.

Dewey Leonard Ferguson is the son of Joel and Chinese Catherine (Childers) Ferguson. He was born 17 Dec 1908 Adair Co, KY and died 3 Aug 1993 in Hartselle, Morgan Co, AL. His wife Dema, was born 7 Jun 1917 in Adair Co and died 6 Apr 1978 Indianapolis, IN.

Joel Ferguson is the son of John Wesley and Corinthia Ann (Watson) Ferguson. From here on back I'm sure you know the family line. Donna and I are still friends and I'm still working on putting her and my daughter's family tree together. I don't keep much info on the collateral lines, but do have most info on Donna's siblings and their children as well as on her dad and his sister, Laura, for whom my daughter is named for. My daughter's full name is: Laure Catherine Ferguson TUTTLE...two middle names, not a hyphenated surname. She was born 27 Dec 1990 here in Beech Grove, IN.

I was wondering if you had any further info on Thomas and Cinthia. This is what I have.

Thomas J. Ferguson, b: @1797 Bedford Co, VA, d: btw 1870-80 Adair Co, KY, bur: Unknown, m: 14 Sep 1825 Bedford Co, VA to Cinthia Snider/Snyder, b: @1804 VA, d: btw 1860-70 Adair Co, KY, bur: Unknown

I would appreciate any additional info on them or their children or siblings. I'm also still trying to figure out who Cinthia's parents are. Best guess, either William and Betsey (Dearen) Snider or Thomas and Nancy (Dove) Snider.
Thanks for any help.

Steve Tuttle
Beech Grove, IN

Posted: 26 May 2006 6:45PM GMT
Surnames: ferguson/furgerson/fergusson etc; etc;
Steve, John Wesley is the brother of my g-gfather, William P. Ferguson. My gfather is Marvin H. b: Adair Co. I have Thomas J. and William P.'s children. My notes have Cynthia's father is William and she inherited the land in Taylor Co. KY. from her father. I would gladly exchange notes if your willing. Thanks!
I''m also related the the Childers family in MO.
Patrick Ferguson pdferg@peoplepc.com

Posted: 26 May 2006 7:00PM GMT
Jim,
Thomas is my gg-grandfather. I have 11 of his children and if you don't have the names yet let me know so we can exchange notes. Thanks!
Patrick Ferguson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions