Search for content in message boards

Ellis Island Records

Ellis Island Records

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 11:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
My Great grandmother Alexandra Rutkowska came to American on May 5 1913. I have found my great grand mothers ship manifest records coming thourgh Ellis Island. Are there more records to be had or this it? I'm not sure where to look for more information.
Attachments:

Re: Ellis Island Records

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 2:44AM GMT
Edited: 2 Jan 2013 2:51AM GMT
Hi,

Single women travelling alone were usually held at Ellis Island. An "x" should appear before their line number. Alexandra doesn't have an "x" nor does she appear on the detained alien list found at the end of the ship manifest. That's too bad as it often has more information about her. Someone must have been waiting for the ship to arrive and picked her up.

You ask are there more records or "this it". I'm not sure you realize that the manifest is two pages... you are showing us the first page. There are a number of other columns on the second page that has more information about Alexandra.

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 5:57PM GMT
Yes, I knew there were two pages, I only attached the first page. Two pages just aren't enough!

Thanks for your input.

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 1:52AM GMT
Exactly what info are you seeking?

Robert

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 1:59AM GMT
Was her ticket prepaid?
How much did it cost?
Where did the ship dock if she did not have to go to Ellis Island.
What would her berth look like?
How likely was it that she was traveling alone at 18?
Did she have to have a Dr examination and is there a record of that?
I will take any information I can get.

Thanks

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 2:02AM GMT
What more info are you looking for the ship manifest gives her former residence, father's name, birthplace, her destination in the US and the person at that destination

Robert

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 2:06AM GMT
Wishful thinking on my part.

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 3:02AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Edited: 3 Jan 2013 1:04PM GMT
Columns 14 and 15 give you ticket info, states she paid for her ticket and she had a ticket (train) to her destination.

Cost not given

All ship's docked at the Port of New York and aliens (unless they had a large sum of money) were then taken by ferry boat to Ellis Island for processing.

Age 16 was considred of age, except in the case of females they needed to be met by a relative... ports had many unsavory characters ready to take advantage of unsuspecting and vunerable immigrants. There is no indication she was traveling with anyone in particular, except that most on that page were Poles from Russia. But no need to be concerned about communications as signage at Ellis Island were in English, Russian, Polish, Croatian, Slovak, German, French, etc. And the processing center employed translators. Contrary to popular belief no names were changed at Ellis Island as the manifest was created at the port of departure.

Examination changed over time, basics such as "checking" for insnanity, senility, traucoma, goiters, etc.. seem to have been peformed beginning sometime around 1900.... but you can google this topic and should find info in that manner. No, there would be no stored records of any examination.

Here is a link to an article that actually has an old Edison film of aliens disembarking from a ferry boat at Ellis Island

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellis_Island#Immigrant_Inspecti...

And another informative article at Ellis Island org

If she had arrived a few years later, after the end of WWI, new laws would have affected her travel. First she would have been processed before she left Europe at an American Embassy, and post 1924 Ellis Island was only used for detention.

You have a good deal of genealogical important info, which can be used to help with your family tree... what you are looking for is not all that significant in that regards and would only seem important for embellishing her story

Berth? With a capacity of just over 2,500 passengers, 1,756 were third or steerage class. It appears that, as did most of our immigrant ancestors, traveled in steerage, which was mor like a ward in the old days in a hosptial

Here is a link to an example of a ticket issued 1912 for an adult and child.

http://www.gjenvick.com/Immigration/ImmigrantTickets/1912-08...

about steerage
http://www.gjenvick.com/Steerage/index.html#axzz2GsP4CBDa

Robert

Robert

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 6:01PM GMT
Thanks you for your reply it has answered many of my questions and filled in the blanks for me.

Thanks for helping a newbie!

Lorri
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions