Search for content in message boards

Owen Keenan(O'Cianain) -Ellen or Helen in

Owen Keenan(O'Cianain) -Ellen or Helen in

Anne (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 2006 5:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 May 2006 9:17PM GMT
Owen and Ellen-Helen had son Cornelius (Cormick) born abt.1818 who married Roseann Brady born abt.1819 daug.of Denis and Margaret.Hope to find them.Anne

Re: Owen Keenan(O'Cianain) -Ellen or Helen in

Eilís O'Hara (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 2006 9:35PM GMT
Hello Anne,

There's nowhere to look up that information.

There are no census records for the 1800s and civil registjration didn't start in Ireland until 1864 (Protestant marriages in 1845).

So you need to know specifically where they were born in Ireland, i.e. town/townland/civil parish and county as well as their religious denomination to identify what church registers might be available for that location to research the family.

Regards.

Eilís O'Hara
Ireland

paul keenan (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 2006 12:33PM GMT
Hi There

It is not impossible to obtain family info from public records prior to 1860 although this is on an ad hoc basis. I.e some counties have collaborated (vz Antrim and Down) with the main religious faiths (protestant and catholic) to produce an intercative site that shows births & marriages.

There are also records on RC and COI held in both Dublin and Belfast on microfilm that you can view records from around 1800 onwards some protestant records show info prior to this and then you have the graveyards with all the main faiths recorded.

Please never give up do not be put off by experts who have had some negative experiences in their own research...the info is there somewhere and my experince is that it is generally free and people are positive and helpful...

Yes it would be great if you knew denomination, county parish and townland date of birth and names of parents and siblings...passport numbers post codes etc ...but few of us start with this info. that is why we visit these sites.

Keep looking and something will turn up

I started with Scottish records and worked back...all I had were two names bride and groom and a wedding date (which turned out to be wrong... ,but that is another tale)

I searched thro' Irish Times website which was very helpful and then began a process of elimination, which encouragement of others I eventually found the info i was looking for...

keep going and if you need more info. let me know

Keenans could be anywhere in Ireland, However if I was in your position I would start in Monaghan, Tyrone, Fermanagh and then fan out across Armagh Down, then Antrim and Louth...then Donegal and Derry before moving to the midlands and southern counties.

I have access to Griffiths 1850's and Tith Applotment Recrods 1830's if you need some pointers let me know..

Good luck

Paul

Posted: 9 May 2006 4:10PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2006 1:59PM GMT
Paul,Thank you.My Cornelius (Cormick) Keenan went
to Airdrie Scotland and his wife Roseann Brady.and
Edward.Catherine,Mary.They all was on the 1861-1871 Airdrie Census.Edward married Margaret Murray
in St.Margaret's oct.26-1871.All of the G.G.Grandparents came Ireland,the marriges don't
show me a Co.of Irland or there census don't so my
family is all out of St.Margaret's,I send for very marrige on a family member and nothing about a Co in ireland.
So were and how would I find were they came from being they all was in Airdrie Scotland.Anne

paul thomas keenan (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2006 11:29AM GMT
Hi Anna

You will want to look at the two townlands where yuo know thta your ancestors came from in Ireland. The records for Scotland do not generally show where they came from in ireland (some do bu this is very rare in my experience)

You know about monaghan and roscommon so do some google searches for people who have records for these counties that is a good way to begin.

if you need copies of maps of these areas let me know on my email addy and i will send this to you.

good luck

Paul

Posted: 31 Aug 2013 8:03PM GMT
Surnames: Keenan, McCretton, McCreighton, Creighton
Looking for Keenan, Tyrone, Amagh. Would love to see your maps. Also looking for McCretton (aka McCreighton, Creighton
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic