Search for content in message boards

John Power Tralee

John Power Tralee

Mick Kerkham (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Power, Rayner, Crawford
I have a john power born in Tralee Kerry Ireland . So I'm looking for any leads back , he left there to sail to Tasmania in 1861 on the ship Antipodes I know his History Here
and will share .

Mick in OZ

John Power Tralee

Posted: 1 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 Aug 2001 3:44AM GMT
Surnames: Power, Roche, Hoar, Quirk, Kennedy
I do not know if this is any help, but my gg grandmother was Mary Power(s). I do not know where she was born (other than Ireland) but her husband gave Tralee as his birthplace on his US citizenship papers. She had a brother, Nicholas, who gave Mitcheltown as his birthplace on his papers. She also appears to have a sister Johanna (m. Timothy Cronin). Her parents were Roger & Hanora (Anna) Cane. Mary married James Roche in Haverhill, Massachusetts in 1857. The other 2 also came to Haverhill & so did their mother (I cannot find any record of the father). Nicholas became the first Irish Catholic undertaker in Haverhill.

If you think there could be any connection, I would love to hear from you.

Re: John Power Tralee

Posted: 16 Jan 2002 2:53AM GMT
Edited: 11 May 2002 1:04AM GMT
Surnames: Gavin, Power
G'day
I'm Barry Gavin from Cootamundra, NSW Australia. In my research on our Gavin line, the name Power or Po'er came up prominently in the Clonmel area of Southern Tipperary. Apparently a land holder or renown. I hope this helps you. Kind Regards...Barry from the land down-under.

Barbara Callahan (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2002 6:49AM GMT
Tell me more about James Roche. I have a grand Uncle named James Roach, b aby 1860 in Brooklyn, NY. His father is Daniel Jeremiah Roche/Roach. My Roaches lived in Brooklyn, NY. Daniel was born in Tralee, Co Kerry per his gravestone. I checked with a St. John's in Tralee, a catholic church, but they have no record of Daniel's baptism. At the Nat'l Library in Dublin in May I found his baptism listed. Place was Tralia, which I assume was Tralee. Any info on exactly where your James Roche came from is appreciated.

louise armstrong (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2002 9:53PM GMT
Mick,
I am a descendant of several Irish Powers, from Cork, Kilkenny, ?Kerry. We have a reasonable family history done and have regular get togethers. Tralee seems to ring a bell and certainly John (Red Johnny) Power...does. I will check and get back asap. It may not be the same one, but, there may be a link to him.
Louise

Posted: 17 Mar 2010 7:24PM GMT
Surnames: Powers, Higgins
I am a descendant as well of the Powers from Ireland.

In all of your research, was there ever a Thomas Powers who married a Burke (first name unknown) who had a daughter, Johanna Powers, born Feb 15, 1856.
Her father sent her here to Minnesota (USA) after hearing about John Higgins first wife (Bridget McGuire) passing away and that he needed someone to help raise his children.

Please, I am running into a brick wall here. Any help would be wonderful!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic