Search for content in message boards

Dr Keith Swainger - University of London

Dr Keith Swainger - University of London

Peter Swainger (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2006 8:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Swainger
Can anybody help with either academic or personal background on Dr Keith Swainger who obtained a science PHD from the University of London during the 1960s.
Keith was an Australian who had set out for the UK in the 1930s and died in Hastings in 1970. He was active in the aeronautical research areas during the 1950s and 60s.

Re: Dr Keith Swainger - University of London

Posted: 2 Nov 2012 9:07AM GMT
I have only just become aware of Dr Swainger in the course of research on RAAF aircrash investigations up to 1940. I would very much like to know more about his background in Australia before he went to Farnborough as mentioned in Fred Jones's book Air Crash.If any more has been found by the family or other researchers since the posts in 2009 I would be glad for any guidance.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 11:51PM GMT
I have more information on his life prior and post this period you are welcome to. If you have more info on his RAAF involvement I would appreciate copies.

You can email me direct at my user name via yahoo.

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 5:11PM GMT
I knew Dr Swainger as a colleague at Portsmouth College of Advanced Technology (now University), UK, late 1960's and have some anecdotal information on his career both in the UK and Australia which he relasted to me firsthand.

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 8:22PM GMT
Surnames: swainger
I have been researching the Swaingers (Swangers) both in Australia and the UK for some time and have quite a deal of family knowledge but his career has proven harder to piece together. While some elements are clear there are large gaps.

His niece by marriage has been extremely helpful and provided an insight into his UK family and I have a great deal of information on his Australian life and his time in the South Pacific.

Would be more than happy to exchange information.

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 10:55AM GMT
Hi there! Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I knew (and respected/admired) Keith Swainger when I was a young postgrad researcher at Portsmouth College (now Portsmouth Uni) in the UK 65-68. Keith became a Research Fellow in our Department of Engineering after he had returned to the UK after a long spell as Professor of Mathematics at Sydney Uni. He was clearly a brilliant man and a leader in his particular mathematical field of Vector Analysis (very important in some branches of Engineering Science). I got to know him well academically when he offered to conduct some 'master class' lectures for the Department's staff. His mind and theories were so advanced that he 'lost' most of our colleagues by the end of the first lecture ... only two of us continued long-term as inspired and admiring acolytes. He told us quite a few details of his previous professional career, but the nature of some of that information was pretty sensitive and confidential and I would prefer not to reveal it here (however, you can contact me privately at gerrish@wimborneit.net with some details of your own identity if you wish to explore that further). I know nothing else of him outside of that sphere and lost contact completely when I moved on from Portsmouth at the end of '68. Kind regards, Gerrish
per page

Find a board about a specific topic