Search for content in message boards

Wexford Jackmans

Wexford Jackmans

Posted: 10 Oct 2008 4:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Sep 2012 12:20PM GMT
Surnames: Jackman, Chapman
Just to advise that I am researching Jackmans in Wexford, Ireland where the name was often interchangeable with Chapman. My line is in the south of the county.

Eileen

Re: Wexford Jackmans

Posted: 23 Feb 2009 7:42PM GMT
Surnames: Jackman, Pender,
Hello Eileen
I am researching my husbands line and have left it to nearly last! He does not know anything about his ancestors !! His family come from Co. Wexford (Ferns).
His Grandfather was Thomas Jackman and his Grandmother Annie nee Pender. If you have any information regarding this elusive side would be very grateful.

Tina

Posted: 24 Feb 2009 1:07AM GMT
Surnames: Jackman
Tina,
You did not mention any dates for your Thomas Jackman.

The Jackmans in Ferns appear to have been tied to the ones in Gorey. Of which there are a few people out there in the world of rootsweb who are researching this line.

Can you advise dates and if you have already checked memorials, igi, etc? There is a marriage of Philip Jackman to Mary Pender in 1844 on the CSI.

Posted: 24 Feb 2009 11:31AM GMT
How silly of me! I was so excited to see Jackmans of Wexford and got quite carried away. Annie b. 1903 died 1974. Thomas b. 1904 died June 1987. (Incidentally there is a Michael Pender (Annie's brother I think who was born about 1902 died 1978).

Thank you for the information you have provided. I will now look at the Gorey Jackmans on the igi. I am quite new to this and have not checked any memorials yet. Tina

Posted: 24 Feb 2009 6:21PM GMT
As a male Jackman he can participate in the Jackman Y-DNA Project to help determine how his test results of his paternal ancestors Y-DNA would compare to that of other Jackman Lines from Northern Ireland, Co. Devon, Eng., and the various lines in VA, PA, OH, etc. to see IF they share a common male Jackman ancestor.

You can read about this project and see the results to date and learn how to participateon my website:
www.PageY-DNA.Org

GWP

Posted: 26 Feb 2009 4:01AM GMT
Surnames: Jackman
Sorry I don't have anything for these names and these dates as most of my research has been for earlier years. There are lots of starting points - try the TIARA or From-Ireland sites as they give some idea where to start. You could also try the new pilot BMD index project at familysearch.org and if you fing their marriage go to the GRO to get a certificate and then take it from there.

Eileen

Posted: 26 Feb 2009 9:04PM GMT
Thank you Eileen for your kindness and help. Hopefully, I will be able to return the favour once I have researched some more.

Tina

Posted: 1 Oct 2009 3:39AM GMT
Edited: 7 Sep 2012 12:21PM GMT
Surnames: Jackman, Chapman
I don't know if you will read this, but I am now looking up my grandfather.
He was Peter Paul Chapman, but his birth certificate says Peter JACKMAN (born 1900, son of Mary Furlong and Patrick Chapman/Jackman). I did not know, until reading this, that Jackman and Chapman were interchageable. Do you have information on that? I am trying to get my Irish citizenship and I want to show them that the names are interchangeable.

Posted: 1 Oct 2009 4:23AM GMT
Surnames: Chapman, Jackman
The reason I know is very simple - my own grandfather was known by both names, as was his brother and his father.

What is more interesting is your Peter below. Are you ready for this?s ....... I'm sure he's from my line as I have a Peter who was born around 1900 to Patrick Chapman and Mary Furlong (his first of three wives). I have other information on his early life but none on his later life although I feel he and his brother Patrick may have moved to New York.

I'd love to chat offline if you'd like to pass on your email address. I can even take you back four or five generations from your Peter. Where are you?

Eileen (Sydney, but from Wexford)

Re: Wexford Jackmans - Peter son of Patsy Chapman and Mary Furlong

Posted: 1 Oct 2009 4:31AM GMT
By the way, by my calculations, that would make us third cousins!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic