Search for content in message boards

DNA Test and no responses to contact.

DNA Test and no responses to contact.

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 5:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Just wondering. If one takes the DNA test, why would one not answer a query to their family tree/connection to? And you can see that the person is quite often on Ancestry. I know a few other people (personally)who have taken the DNA test and have the same question. Contacting the person they are matched to and no responses. Anyone else having this same problem?

Re: DNA Test and no responses to contact.

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 6:17PM GMT
I don't receive very many answers either and it makes no difference whether it is a public tree owner or a private tree owner. Maybe it just takes time.

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 9:10PM GMT
Yep! Same here. I'm starting to think it may just be the "nature of the beast" when it comes to dna testing. Dna can be quite difficult to "grasp" unless you are willing to do quite a bit of study and reading to gain understanding. I think a lot of folks get into it thinking it will be a quick and easy way to figure out their genealogy/ancestry and wind up discovering it is NOT what they thought it was. Plus I think some people find out things they didn't exactly WANT to know about their ancestry (and maybe relatives they didn't want in their tree) and that may take some processing time to work through.

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 9:59PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2013 10:04PM GMT
I agree. I think a lot of people thought it would be quick and easy. And I am sure a lot of people were wishing for a whole new set of family members, possibly famous ones. A lot of people want famous or infamous as long as it is larger than life. They may not be in it for the long term. That will go the way the other searches for famous people have gone. That never lasts long. The reality is most of us were descended from farmers not Kings. Finding out you really aren't related to Brad Pitt and that your family were farmers or could seem a little slow but that really is the reality for some of us. One of my matches had every member of the Tudor family right down to Johanson. I was just sure there would be a Scarlet Johansson.

Wait do you think that was why they didn't return my message? ;)

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 11:24PM GMT
Thanks all for your responses....never thought about the Rich & Famous hopefuls. I know I certainly didn't nor do I now. My reason to do the DNA, is just to see who's who. My maternal line is a long line of poor to nearly poor and I think they are a fantastic bunch! I had a bit of a laugh yesterday when peering thru a 4th cousin match that a Rupert III, Count of Worms (Germany)from long ago was in that particular tree. Of course does not automatically mean there is a blood connection to me. But it did give me a chuckle (the name). Any one getting closer than 4th cousin matches?

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 11:27PM GMT
I'm pressing that nonexistent "Like" button, scwbcm. :) Lately, I have been deleting the fanciful royalty (added years ago) who have long been disconnected from MY relatives in my tree but still linger there. I will NOT, however, give up Johnny Depp! :)
Lou (trying-to-reform clickologist)

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 11:31PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2013 11:40PM GMT
No, I can not be related to Johnny Depp. There has to remain hope for us. And no Robert Downy Jr. either. I will reject without consideration any tree that makes us related. So good to have a bit of humor on these boards, although we really need Ludlowbaylive to take the DNA test and raise the bar here.

This doesn't have to be the doom and gloom board.

Why so serious...

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 11:42PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2013 12:53AM GMT
Gypsywinter, I have received only one match closer than a 4th cousin (a 3rd cousin), but I have read posts by others who are getting more of them.
Edit: I have identified two other 3rd-cousin matches that were classified by Ancestry as 4th-cousin matches.

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 12:44AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2013 12:59AM GMT
I have a Bradford 3rd cousin match. I believe that is my only third cousin match that is that close and it is solid. We know each other and I have many, many sources for his Bradford and mine. The county is also well aware of the family and there is a mountain named for our family. I have donated old photos to several organizations for the family including some on the property and some with the school for the area. Two historians and a well known librarian have also provided information to both of us and it matches. I have photos of his family member and mine together with their parents and it is labeled. So it is possible to get a good match. I hope this encourages you.

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 1:05AM GMT
I wouldn't mind a little Johnny Depp... not in my tree though ;-)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic