Search for content in message boards

Where of where is Buford, England

Where of where is Buford, England

Posted: 4 Jun 2004 12:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Morgan/Montgomery/Pankey/Wilson/Chrisco/Copeland
I have several ancestors who were born in Buford, England. I have tried finding Buford on maps but have not been successful.

Can anyone who is familiar with England please give me some insite as to where this town can be found?

Thanks

Re: Where of where is Buford, England

Posted: 4 Jun 2004 2:22PM GMT
On what document(s) do(es) the town name appear? Does it also indicate a county? (The equivalent of a US state?)

Pauline

Posted: 4 Jun 2004 2:48PM GMT
Buford, England is written in the Family Bible as a place of birth and in several hand written papers from the family members when they wrote about their lives.

The family lived in Swansea, Wales but several seemed to have been born in Buford. I am guessing that these two places might be close to one another.

Kelli

Tony Owen (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jun 2004 10:34AM GMT
Hi Dawn

The only place that comes immediately to mind is BURFORD in Oxfordshire - a long distance from Swansea though.

Happy Hunting
Tony Owen
Bolton, Lancashire

Kelli Hayden (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2004 4:39PM GMT
I want to thank everyone who replied to my question on where I can find Buford, England. I received many very good suggestions that I know need to follow up on.

As the general concensus is that Buford, England does not exist I am going to go back through my papers to see if I can get any additional clues as to where my family members might have been born.

My assumption is that perhaps there was indeed a Buford, England in the 1840's and 1850's and has since been renamed. Another possibility is that when they arrived from Wales to the States that to the the American ear the town sounded like "Buford."

The search continues!

Kelli

Kim (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2004 7:36PM GMT
Hi Kelli

It's very unlikely that Buford would have been renamed. I can't think of any reason why it would have been.

Also you keep referring to 'Buford, England' but you say it is near Swansea, which is in Wales, not England. Is there a particular reason why you think it is in England?

Kim

Kelli Hayden (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2004 8:22PM GMT
Kim,

In the family Bible as well as personsl letters the name Buford, England is written as the place of birth. The family did live in Swansea, Wales so perhaps the birthplace really was in Wales instead of England and over the years it just got messed up in the family papers.

This is a possiblity, Buford, Wales, that I will check into. Otherwise I'll try to dig up some more reliable information regarding their place of birth because Buford, England seems to be inaccurate all the way around.

Thank you for your feedback. I obviously have much more work to do!

Kelli
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions