Search for content in message boards

Pugliese Family

Pugliese Family

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 10:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pugliese, Lavoie, Davenport
I am researching the family of Giovanni F. (John F.) Pugliese and his wife Amanda Lavoie. I have found that they lived in Fall River (circa 1891-1920?) and gave birth to at least eight children there including Albert J., Arthur L., William, Joseph, Rosario, Alice, and Emma Irene. According to death certificates, at least 3 are buried in Notre-Dame Cemetery but are not listed in the cemetery survey on the Massachusetts USGenWeb site.
Giovanni was born in Italy and Amanda was born in Canada. I have been able to find only Amanda in a census....as a widow in 1920 in Fall River.
I am particularly interested in Emma Irene Pugliese whom I believe married James Davenport and lived in New York City where she died in 1981.
Any information you may be able to share would be appreciated.

Re: Pugliese Family

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 11:25PM GMT
I did not know is you had the exact birth or death dates for the children.All in Fall River
Joseph S.b.June 17, 1898
Joseph G.b.Apr.15, 1897
Alice A. b. Nov. 5, 1903
Rosario E. Sept.11, 1902
Female June 5, 1908
William b. Apr. 11,1894

Deaths Fall River

Arthur L. June 30, 1910 6 mos. Cholera Infantum
Arthur L. July 24, 1903 2yrs.4 mos. Pneumonia
Notre Dame Cemetery
Female Jue6, 1908 Still born
Notre Dame Cemetery
Fred June 24 1899 born
died JUne 28, 1912 died dialation of right ventricle of heart
Notre Dame Cemetery
That was all the vitals to 1915 in Fall River
Tina

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 12:10AM GMT
Thanks for the information! I appreciate your quick response! Now, if I'm able to get the death dates of the parents and more info on Emma Irene, I'll be set.

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 7:35PM GMT
Here's the family on the 1910 Census:name:

Amanda Baglise
birthplace: Canada
relationship to head of household: Wife
residence: Fall River Ward 1, Bristol, Massachusetts
marital status: Married
race : White
immigration year: 1889
father's birthplace: Canada
mother's birthplace: Canada
family number: 43
Household Gender Age Birthplace
John Baglise M 46y Italy
wife Amanda Baglise F 36y Canada
son William Baglise M 16y Massachusetts
son John Baglise M 15y Massachusetts
son George Baglise M 13y Massachusetts
son red Baglise M 11y Massachusetts
son Arthur Baglise M 8y Massachusetts
dau Laura Baglise F 6y Massachusetts
dau Irene Baglise F 2y Massachusetts

I checked for John's death to 1915 - I use www.familysearch.org and that's the year that the records online go up to but there is a browseable database for the years 1916-1920 - you could try that:

go to www.familysearch.org
scroll down and click on United States
next screen scroll down and click on Massachusetts
next screen scroll down and click on Massachusetts State Vitals 1841-1920
Next screen click on browse
next screen click on deaths
Then the next screen you would have to search each year for his death - you might get lucky.
or
you could go to Mass Archives, they have on microfilm the BMD index for the years to 1970 by name. You could find his death that way and then go right down the street to Mass Vitals and see actual record. Archives is free, Vitals charges $9 an hour.

Margaret

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 8:27PM GMT
Wow! Thanks for the 1910 census! I tried almost every conceivable spelling of Pugliese using a "P" but did not think to try a "B"! I really appreciate the information! If I am correct in my assumptions about Emma Irene, she was the mother of my niece's husband. He was born and raised in New York City where his parents, James and Irene Davenport, lived. I found them in the census records for 1930 and 1940.
This is a research sideline for me. My main focus is on the Mewborns (there are various spellings) and the Browns.
If I can be of help to the two of you who have been so helpful to me, please let me know.

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 10:13PM GMT
1912 Fall River City Directory
--Pugliese Giovanni barber h 585 Lawton
-- " John driver 210 Peckham b 585 Lawton

1913 Fall River City Directory
--Pugliese Giovanni ins agt h 585 Lawton

1914 & 1915 Fall River City Directory
--Pugliese Giovanni ins agt 29 Bedford rm 53 house 585 Lawton

1916 Fall River City Directory
--Pugliese Amanda Mrs h 1077 Globe
-- " Giovanni ins agt 29 Bedford rm 53 h 585 Lawton

1918 Fall River City Directory
--Pugliese William J, USA bds 585 Lawton

Would suggest you call Fall River City Hall and inquire about their death records.

Did try to find their marriage record - no luck - but did locate Emma's birth record - name appears Plugliese -- you can access it here..

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11396-15397-78?... see line 1286 let me know if you have trouble accessing.

Hope this helps!
Liz

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 12:25AM GMT
Sherry

Just so you know - sometimes when I'm stuck searching and can't come up with anything on a last name, I will leave the last name blank and just search on first name and maybe year of birth - helps.

Good luck in your searching
Margaret

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 5:10PM GMT
Have you gone to findagrave.net it is a free website and there are 7 Pugliese's listed there with some info. Most do not have birth dates but it is worth looking at if you haven't already.
tina

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 5:45PM GMT
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have already checked there and none of the names match those I am looking for.

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 5:00PM GMT
Thanks for the City directory info! And I now have Emma's birth record....thanks for all of your help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions