Search for content in message boards

Josef and/or Marcin Frankowicz in Fall River

Josef and/or Marcin Frankowicz in Fall River

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 11:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Frankowicz, Frenkowicz, Pula
My great-grandfather was Josef Frankowicz (b. about 1876), he immigrated to the US in 1907. His wife was Tekla (Tillie) Pula (b. about 1882), immigrated to the US in 1913. They had two sons while living in Fall River: Miecsystaw (Matthew) (b. 1916) and Walter, my grandfather (b. 1917).

My dad had always said that we had relatives in Fall River, which no one has ever confirmed. Digging up info about this family has proved to be a lot of detective work - they all called themselves by a number of different first names, traded birthdates around, etc. My search for immigration records for Josef and Tillie has also proven futile. Based on what I know about that side of the family, I would not be surprised if they came here illegally.

Anyway, I found my great-grandparents on the 1920 US Federal Census, listed as "Frenkowicz." Based on the data here, my scrappy family history, and what I know about migration, I have a theory that Marcin (Martin) Frankowicz (b. 1888) is a relative of my great-grandfather:
- Martin lived at 138 Peckham, immigrated in 1906, and worked as a doffer in a cotton mill.
- Josef lived at 148 Peckham, immigrated in 1907, and worked as a carder in a cotton mill.

I am looking for anyone with information about Martin Frankowicz...specifically, if he had siblings, if/when they immigrated, and where they settled. I know there are still Frankowiczes living in Bristol County; I am hoping that tracing a bit of Martin's family will help me find out more about my great-grandfather.

I am still pretty green at the genealogy thing- thanks in advance for any information or search tips you can provide!

Re: Josef and/or Marcin Frankowicz in Fall River

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 8:58PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2013 4:37AM GMT
Surnames: Frankowicz, Gaida, Gayda
I have some vitals for you from Fall River
Marriage Oct. 1908
Martin Frankowitz 22 148 Peckham St. weaver b. Austria parents Stanislaw and Hendryka
Amella Gaida 19 138 Peckham St. sizer b. Austria parents Frank and Katharina
Peter Basinski, Priest 36 Rockland St.

July 28, 1909 Birth
Anny Frankowitz parents Martin and Amiela Gayda 128 Peckham St. card stripper b.Austria

Aug. 29,1906 birth
Ezella F. Frankowitz parents Lawrence and Victoria 74 Washington St. Baker both b. Austria

Not sure of the relationship with Martin and Lawrence maybe the census will help you out. You said you are new to research so maybe you do not know about the free website familysearch.org It is free and has a lot of info that is helpful. Good luck and if you have any problems or questions just ask
Tina

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 12:38PM GMT
Edited: 26 Apr 2013 3:36AM GMT
Surnames: Frankowicz, Tosier
Hello,
My Auntie Stacia's father was Martin. She married my grand uncle, Walter Tosier.

I found an immigration document that lists his father's name as Stanislaw. He came into New York in 1935 and he was 49. He was already married and living in Fall River, MA.

You might be interested in this website:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=FR...;

Hope this helps a bit.

Donna

Posted: 12 Jul 2013 6:59PM GMT
Hi Donna,

I just saw your message, thank you so much!

I'm very interested in the immigration document that you found - is it something online?

Thanks again,
Cara
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions