Search for content in message boards

Thomas H. Harrison, born 1857 in Oldham UK, who emigrated to New Bedford Massacheusetts, USA

Thomas H. Harrison, born 1857 in Oldham UK, who emigrated to New Bedford Massacheusetts, USA

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 2:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harrison
Hello there,

My name's Tim and I live in the UK.

I'm looking for any information at all on Thomas H. Harrison (born about 1857 in Oldham, Lancashire, England UK) and his descendants.

Thomas was my great-great-grandfather. He married my great-great-grandmother, Isabella probably in the 1870's, as their first child was born in 1881. they had three more kids and then about 1885, Thomas travelled with his brother James Harrison to, I believe, New Bedford, Massacheusetts, USA. They were there for work reasons I believe. When he had settled, he wrote to Isabella to bring herself and their kids to the USA. Apparently she didn't want to emigrate and she and her kids stayed in the UK. Thomas stayed in the USA, re-married and had more kids with his new wife and that was that!

I have attached a couple of pictures of people, that my aunty gave me a copies of. According to her, the first one is of Thomas's brother James and his family at the wedding of his daughter (the writing is supposedly by the hand of Thomas), and the second is a photo of a female relative of the family (presumably either Thomas's new wife or his daughter?) from the USA that was sent to either my great-grandparents or grandparents in the UK.

Who knows, someone might recognise some of the faces.

Any info at all that you might have will be helpful as what I have told you is all I know.

It would be great to discover 'long lost cousins'!

Thanks for reading,

Regards,

Tim Harrison
Attachments:

Re: Thomas H. Harrison, born 1857 in Oldham UK, who emigrated to New Bedford Massacheusetts, USA

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 5:13PM GMT
Edited: 31 Dec 2012 6:12PM GMT
Surnames: Harrison, Booth, Tripp, Tozier
New Bedford, Ma.Marriage
March 15, 1894
Thomas Henry Harrison 30 of Providence R.I. 2nd marriage liquor dealer b. England parents Thomas and Elizabeth Booth
Flora Albert TRipp 28 New Bedford at home b. New Bedford 1st marriage parents Cornelius and Amelia Tozier
Matt C. Julien Clergyman, New Bedford

I thought this might be your relative but furthur reserch in the 1919 Census in Providence RI.

They are boarding with
Ida Duckworth and They do not have any children hr is 46 and she is 44
Do you know Thomas's parents.
Tina

Re: Thomas H. Harrison, born 1857 in Oldham UK, who emigrated to New Bedford Massacheusetts, USA

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 10:15PM GMT
Edited: 31 Dec 2012 6:13PM GMT
Surnames: Harrison, Crow
Hi Tina, and thanks very much for your reply! That's interesting what you have found.

Harrison According to the censuses, Thomas's parents are Thomas Harrison and Jennet (Janet) Crow.

Thomas'a full name is Thomas Henry Harrison by the way.

Tim

Posted: 31 May 2013 12:07AM GMT
Edited: 1 Jun 2013 5:02PM GMT
Surnames: Harrison, Craig
I'm quite astonished to have stumbled across this information. I am James Harrison's great-great grandson. I was born in New Bedford and grew up nearby, I currently live and work in Boston. I had attempted some research into this history a few years ago however I became sidetracked with other things. The others in that picture are James' wife(obviously my great-great grandmother)Mary Craig with daughters Elsie and Evelyn at her marriage to Alfred Greenwood ~1942. If you happen to know, what became of Thomas once in the United States? Did he wind up staying or return to the UK?

Posted: 31 May 2013 5:27PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jun 2013 5:03PM GMT
Hi there!

I am equally astonished to receive a reply on this subject as they have been scanty! This would make us long lost relatives as I am Thomas's great-great grandson by his marriage to Isabella. I didn't know my grandfather as he died in the 60's when my father was 14 but that picture of your ancestors was sent from Thomas to his family back in the UK presumably along with a letter containing news etc. My dad remembers an 'American' man visiting the family (here in the UK) back in the 1950's when he was small. Other than that we don't know anything more about Thomas. Looking at censuses, it looks like he was still alive in the 1940's, living in New Bedford (or the next town along). I'd like to keep in contact with you and trade records if you'd be willing?

Posted: 1 Jun 2013 4:45AM GMT
Edited: 3 Jun 2013 3:07PM GMT
Surnames: Harrison, Robinson
Hello. I have a Thomas Harrison born about 1810 in Samlesbury, Lanc married to Nancy Robinson born in Preston.
They came to Fall River, MA with their 10 children. Fall River is the next city over from New Bedford with a few towns in between. Their daughter Catherine was my GG grandmother. Curious to see if any of this would fit any your research.

You mention your Thomas H Harrison probably came for work. That would be a real possibility. In the late 1800's Fall River was the biggest cotton manufacturing industry in the world at the time. The city is filled with many huge mills and attracted many to work in the mills of Fall River or surrounding towns/cities.

Regards,
Elizabeth

Posted: 1 Jun 2013 8:03AM GMT
Edited: 3 Jun 2013 3:08PM GMT
Hi Elizebeth,

That's really interesting. After reading about Fall River and New Bedford on the internet and seeing pictures, I can see why my great-great-grandfather Thomas would want to move there and take advantage of the cotton boom at the time as most of my dad's side of the family came from Oldham in Lancashire, England and were involved in the cotton mill industry. My family still live in Lancashire today. I can't be certain if yours and my Thomas are one and the same but it would be nice if they were! I think my Thomas was born in 1857, but his father was also named Thomas so it's still possible we could be related!

Posted: 1 Jun 2013 11:19AM GMT
Surnames: Harrison, Howard, Cooper
Hi Tim -
I may have a possible connection. Elizabeth Harrison (b. 1867 Preston) married a distant cousin of mine Benjamin Howard and left Preston for New Bedford in 1910. Elizabeth's parents were William and Mary Cooper. We have a picture of her and someone named "Aunt Flory". I have never been able to identify her - but perhaps she is Flora Tripp? She seems to resemble the woman in the photo you posted. Elizabeth and Ben lived on Valentine Street in New Bedford, the picture (as written on the back) says "Aunt Flory, Elizabeth Harrison Howard, Aunt Flory's sister". I am wondering if anyone on this post could confirm that Flory is Flora?
I was also born in New Bedford and now live in Central MA. -I have a more information about the Harrison/Howard family if you are interested. I am also in close contact with another cousin who lives in NY who is a direct descendant of Ben/Elizabeth.
Attachments:

Posted: 1 Jun 2013 4:47PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jun 2013 3:09PM GMT
Hi there,

Yes that is also very interesting! I'd be interested in any past/present Harrison descendants in New Bedford or Fall River etc. My family has always wondered what happened to the branch connected to us.

Thanks!

Posted: 2 Jun 2013 4:31PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jun 2013 3:09AM GMT
I would definitely be willing to provide you with some records. I don't have much in the way of originals but I have a complete history of everyone coming after James and would be happy to do some more research on Thomas' life in the US. I'm away from home for the weekend and will be tied up considerably with work and travel for the next month but I will see what I can get together for you.

I tried to message you but apparently one has to pay for that. My e-mail is tmsylvia at comcast dot net. Obviously change to proper format.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic