Search for content in message boards

M F Hawkins

M F Hawkins

Posted: 24 Jun 2012 3:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hawkins
Just looking to see if anyone has information on a Margaret Scott or her husband M F Hawkins who lived in Parsons, Labette, Kansas. More specifically, Liberty Township where they were married 16 Mar 1874. I have them on a census for 1875, and then after that I have what I believe to be the same M.F. Hawkins in Placita, Bernalillo, New Mexico in 1880, and then again in Precinct 11, Socorro, New Mexico listed with a 16 year old son (C.F. Hawkins) in 1885.

The family story is that M.F. (Michael I believe is what the "M" stands for) moved to Texas from Kansas around 1870, hated it, moved back to Kansas, got married and then eventually headed west and was never heard from again. It was originally believed to be California where he ended up but the Census' are pointing towards New Mexico.

Trying to get a Death date, location or burial site and trying to figure out in general what became of Michael and/or his son.

Re: M F Hawkins

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 5:35PM GMT
It doesn't get you any closer to Mr.Hawkins but:{I tried the available resources for NM deaths and did not find him-however, NM did not have a formal
system of recording vital records prior to 1919--so anything before that is hit and miss}

W.H.Scott married "M.C.Shelidy" on Aug.20,1866 in Neosho,KS;further digging shows that the wife was
Margaret Christine Shelladay.
They had three kids-Edgar,Oliver and William.
{The 1925 IA census asked parents names: William Scott was in Polk Co. in that year,giving his parents as William Scott and Margaret C.Shelladay; Oliver was
in Wright Co.,IA and his parents names given as William Scott and Margaret Kimber}

Margaret Scott married M.F.Hawkins which you know.

Then, Margaret Hawkins married F.F.Kimber (Frederick) on Oct.26,1880 in Labette Co. He died sometime between 1888 and 1900.

I think that Charles Hawkins became Charles Scott--the 1900 census for Liberty,KS shows Margaret Kimber and her daughters-and Charles Scott.
Charles Scott,born July 29,1875 in KS and died on Aug.11,1941 in Chico,Butte,CA
Mother's surname given as "Kimber". That index should show mother's maiden name,but looks like his
wife did not know it? At any rate: Charles Scott married Cora Barrier Jan.22,1908 in Eureka,KS
They had one daughter,Anna Cora Scott, born Sept.27,1909 in KS,died Nov.29,1997 in Butte Co.,CA
She married Earl Pehrson in 1930 in CA.
Charles Scott was in Butte Co.,CA by 1918,when he registered for the WWI draft.
You might try the various look up resources for Butte Co. for obit help:
http://www.cagenweb.com/butte/

Margaret Shelladay Scott Hawkins Kimber remained in Labette Co.,KS until 1910-she had two daughters with
Frederick Kimber-Margaret and Frances. By 1920 she too is in Butte Co.,CA.
She died on Feb.21,1929 in Bellingham,Whatcom,WA. Record found in the records of the WA archives.
http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/Home
You can contact the WA archives here and request a look up of obituaries--they are pretty speedy too,if one is found!
http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/AskAnArchivist

There are also memorials on findagrave.com for Charles Scott and his wife Cora in Butte Co.,CA-Chico Cemetery; and for Margaret Kimber and her son Edgar Scott, Bayview Cemetery-Bellingham,Whatcom,WA

Re: M F Hawkins

Posted: 26 Jun 2012 4:34AM GMT
Surnames: Hawkins
Wow.

I cannot thank you enough. That is a HUGE help!! Thank you so much for finding all of that out for me! I will continue to dig around to find out what happened to M F Hawkins, but it would appear that perhaps he passed away around 1880. Who knows.

The story always was that he moved west from Kansas to some place like California and was never heard from again, but maybe it refers to him moving to NM and his family ending up in CA. Or maybe he died in Kansas. Quite the mystery.

Thank you again! I really appreciate it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic