Search for content in message boards

George Washington Kling

George Washington Kling

Bill Heverly (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:32PM GMT
Surnames: Kling
Trying to find information on ancestors of George Washington Kling. Born July 4, 1888 in York County. Brothers John and Sylvestor of York. Sister Vergie Wagner of Oberlin. Died Feb 26, 1943 in Jersey Shore, PA. This man was my grandfather. I remember my mother talking about an uncle (John or Sylvestor?) playing in a German oompa band. George married Cora McRae, date unknown. They had three sons, Irvin, Sterling and Ardell and one daughter, Benita Maxine. In addition to York County and Jersey Shore, he lived in Erie and Lock Haven, PA. He worked in the textile industry as a "loom fixer". At the time of his death he worked for Williamsport Textiles. Any info would be appreciated.

bhev1@ptd.net (last known contact address--bounced on 3/4/01)

Re: George Washington Kling

bill heverly (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2003 7:24PM GMT
note new email address

Posted: 18 Jun 2007 9:56AM GMT
George Washington Kling information: He is the 11th of 12 children. His sister Emry (Emma) is my great-grandmother. The oldest I have is his grandfather:

George Kling b: 26 Dec 1821 in Pennsylvania - d: 5 Feb 1892 in Fulton, Ill. Married Leah Brennaman b: 1822 in Pennsylvania - d: 27 Mar 1891 in Fulton, Ill. Their son:

George B. Kling b: 7 Sep 1848 - d: 3 Feb 1909, buried in Zeigler's Church Cemetery, Seven Valleys, York County, PA. married Polly A. Ruth on 23 Nov 1865 by Rec. C.J. Deinniger at Evangelical Luthern Church, York, PA. Polly b: 16 Feb 1848 - d:3 Jul 1895, buried in Zeigler's Church Cemetery, Seven Valleys, York County, PA. They had 12 children:

1. Mary A. Kling Weiser b: 28 Jun 1867 - d: 3 Apr 1940(age 72), buried in Prospect Hill Cemetery, York, PA.

2. Ellen Kling Fetrow - b: 29 May 1868 - d: 17 Jan 1936(age 67), buried in Prospect Hill Cemetery, York, PA.

3. Rebecka Kling - b: 18 Jan 1870 - d: 8 Mar 1870(age 7 wks.), buried in Zeigler's Church Cemetery, Seven Valleys, PA

4. Louisa Kling - 27 Apr 1871 d: 27 Mar 1888(age 16), buried in Zeigler's Church Cemetery, Seven Valleys, PA.

5. Jacob Kling b: 10 Aug 1873 d: 21 Dec 1881(age 8), buried in Zeigler's Church Cemetery, Seven Valleys, PA.

6. John Adam Kling b: 1 May 1875 d: 29 Sep 1947(age 72), buried in Strayer's Cemetery, Dover, PA.

7. Emry (known as Emma) Kling b: 1 Dec 1878 d: 5 Nov 1934(age55)buried in Zeigler's Church Cemetery, Seve Valleys, PA. Married Henry Melantham Sweitzer on 30 Sep 1900. They had 6 children:
1) Clarnece Henry Sweitzer
2) Ervin Sweitzer
3) Maurice Elvin Sweitzer
4) Emory Augustus Sweitzer
5) Charles Raymond Sweitzer
6) Irene Mae Sweitzer DeBurkarte Knaub
(my grandmother)

8. Sylvester Kling b:6 Nov 1879 d: 14 Nov 1933(75), buried in Mt. Zion Cemetery, York, PA.

9. Lily Kling Copenhaver b: 15 Nov 1882 - d: 12 Jul 1933(age 52), buried Jefferson Cemetery, Jefferson, PA.

10. Milly Kling Sipe b: 24 Jan 1884 d: 10 Jan 1938 (age 52), buried in Mt. Zion Cemetery, York, PA.

11. George Washington Kling b: 4 Jul 1886 d: 26 Feb 1943 age56), buried in Lynnwood Cemetery, Jersey Shore, Lycoming County, PA.

12. Vergy Arrine Kling Wagner b:8 Dec 1886 d: Sep 1971 (age 84), buried in Oberling Cemetery, Oberling, PA.

As the sister-in-law of Henry Sweitzer, Vergie attended our annual family reunions. I was just a cild then, but I remember her well. She was quite the character! Unfortunately all of her siblings, including George Washington Kling died before I was born so "Aunt Vergie" is the only one I've met.

Sue Altland
justsuz@juno.com

Posted: 20 Jul 2007 12:54AM GMT
George Kling born 27 Dec 1820 was born to Lorenz(Lawrence,Lorens,Lohrnz) Kling and Salome (Sarah)Lingenfaelder. They married 15 Oct 1818 according to the First Reformed Church & Trinity of York Boro records. Lawrence Kling was single in Codorus Twp tax records in 1815-1816 and 1816-1817.
Johann Lohrnz Kling was born 5 Feb 1794 according to the Saddler's Reformed Church in Hopewell Twp records to Johannes Just Kling and his wife Anna Maria ????
Salome (Sarah) Lingenfaelder was probably born to Michael and Catherine Lingenfaelder(many spellings. 6 March 1799
according to the records of the church she was married in.There was another Salome born to George and Catherine Lingenfelter 28 Jan 1797 baptized at Sherman's church in West Manheim Twp. There are Lingefelders in Maryland and PA

Posted: 20 Jul 2007 3:37AM GMT
Ed,
In your Jul 19th relpy to this you gave George Washinton Kling's ancestors. Do you have any information on his wife, Leah Brenneman? b:1822 in Pennsylvania (York County, I think)d: 27 Mar 1891 in Fulton, Ill. Her parents, any ancestors for that matter, have been a road block for a long time.

Sue
justsuz@juno.com

Posted: 20 Jul 2007 3:47AM GMT
Ed,
I didn't word that last post too clearly. There are several Georges in the family. I'm interested in the parents and ancestors of Leah Brenneman, the wife of the George Kling you start your reply off with.

Sue
justsuz@juno.com

Posted: 17 Aug 2007 1:25AM GMT
I looked for Leah Brenneman in York today and didn't find her. How do you know she married George Kling? There are many Brennemans in Lancaster. I wonder if that is where she is from. If She is from York an analysis of the census records says she must be the daughter of Daniel Brenneman of Codorus Twp,later North Codorus Twp or David of Codorus Twp later of Hopewell Twp/N. Codorus or Henry of Conewago Twp. Of course her father may have died soon after her birth or they may have moved into York from elsewhere.

Of interest is that David and Daniel Brenneman and Lawrentz Kling are in North Codorus Twp in the 1839 thru 1845 as shown in the tax rcords. They are also there before and after this period.

Posted: 21 Aug 2007 10:25PM GMT
Ed,
The only proof I have that George Kling married Leah Brenneman is a family journal that my grandmother kept. Emma Kling, his sister, is my great-grand mother and he, my great-great uncle. In her journal, my grandmother listed his wife as Leah Brenneman. At some point they moved to Illinois and both he and Leah died in Fulton County, Illinois.

Sue
justsuz@juno.com

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 8:44PM GMT
I am tracking George on my tree as well. His parents were Lorenze Kling and Sarah Lingenfelder. I am not tracking 12 kids for them just 6 including Jacob Kling my 3rd great grandfather.

Clair Kling

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 10:58PM GMT
Sue,
I just finished an awesome 50 page research paper on our Lawrence Kling and wife Sarah. Interested in a copy?

Clair Kling

hezer@hotmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic