Search for content in message boards

William Almon Wheeler

William Almon Wheeler

Posted: 16 Aug 2012 8:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for the names of the two sisters of W A Wheeler, vicepresident of the US.
Born in Malone, NY 1819 and died June 4, 1887.

Parents: Almon WHeeler and Eliza

Re: William Almon Wheeler

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 3:57AM GMT
William Almon Wheeler's two sisters were Jane Maria b. 1812 in New Hampshire and Sarah Fidelia b. 1815. His father, Almon Wheeler, was married twice. His first wife was Maria Foote who died after giving birth-I don't know the date. His second wife was Eliza Woodward. William Almon Wheeler was born in 1819, he became vice president of the U.S. and his wife, Mary King, died in 1876 while he was in office.They had no children. My great great great grandfather, Zalmon Wheeler was the father of both Almon and Alfred Wheeler who was my GGgrandfather . William Almon Wheeler and my great grandmother Marieta(mary)Buck Wheeler were first cousins and, after the death of Mary King Wheeler, Marieta sometimes served as hostess for the VP. Her married last name was Holmes. She was widowed in 1866 and remarried in 1873 to William Henderson. Later they divorced but kept the Henderson last name . She is listed in Malone, NY file on William Almon Wheeler's known relatives as Mary Henderson. She died 1926 in Portland, Oregon. Hope you enjoy this info - I did research in the courthouse and library in Malone, NY to find the info!!

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 12:40AM GMT
Edited: 26 Aug 2012 12:41AM GMT
I am working on a longshot!

My brick wall is Hiram Wheeler Barlow, born about 1820 possibly in Malone.

We cannot find any info on him prior to 1830s.
We have suspected that Wheeler was perhaps a family name...maybe his mom's maiden name so when I saw the Wheeler family in Malone - I figured it might be worth a shot!
William Almon and his sisters would be born about the same time as Hiram so maybe cousins? Would you have any more info on the family?
THank you!

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 4:42AM GMT
The name Barlow rang a bell with me so checked Barlow in the index of my Family File-John Barlow married to Ruth Sherwood had a daughter Abigail Barlow who was born 30 June 1697 and died 16 April 1743 prob. in Fairfield, CT. She was married to William Hill who was born 17 Nov 1692 and died 25 April 1775 in Fairfield, CT They had a daughter Frances Hill who was born abt. 1737 and died 30 July 1805 in Fairfield, Franklin Co., Vermont. Frances was married to Joseph Wheeler who was born 27 May 1738 in Fairfield, CT and died 1816 near Batavia, NY. Frances and Joseph had 10 children-one was Zalmon Wheeler who married Hannah Butler and 2 of their children were Almon and Albert Wheeler who I mentioned in my last note. The families I have mentioned all moved from CT to Vermont because they were Loyalists at the time of the Revolutionary War. Franklin Co. VT is due east of Malone, NY!! So we are probably distant cousins!! I live on LONG ISLAND, NY but was born in 1937 in Westchester Co., NY.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic