Search for content in message boards

DURWARD, FROST ANCESTRY

DURWARD, FROST ANCESTRY

Posted: 11 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jan 2004 12:16AM GMT
Surnames: DURWARD, FROST
Looking for information on the family of Alexander & Isabella DURWARD of Simcoe, Ontario. Came to Canada from Aberdeen, Scotland in late 1851 or early 1852 and ran a tailor shop on Norfolk Street in Simcoe. John Abel was the eldest son and he married Mary M. FROST on August 6, 1873. Mary was the daughter of Joseph and Chrisanda FROST of Woodhouse. They had a daughter, Isabelle Milne, born 1876. Mary died on December 11, 1881 and is buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Simcoe. John remarried Pheobe ALWAY several years later. The following children are listed in the DURWARD household in the 1871 census: John 21; David, 17; William 13; Elizabeth 9; Anne, 7; Margaret, 5; Charles 3; Robert, 1.

Durward family search

dennis durward (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: James Durward
In searching for my great grandfather (James Durward) who settled in Uxbridge, Ontario - I have come across Alexander a couple of times. Contact me and we can see if we've come across new information for each other.

Durward/Current connection

Posted: 26 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jul 2001 1:20PM GMT
Surnames: Durward, Current
Is there a connection between the Durward family and the James Bales Current family? I am researching the possibility of James Bales Current of Middleton (1849-1852-?) being the James Current who was the father of our g-grandfather, Joseph Nelson Current. Joseph named his first son Durward Nelson. Since the Current family had a habit of naming their children after their friends' last names, I was wondering if there might be a connection there?

Re: Durward family search

Posted: 1 Sep 2002 9:04PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jan 2004 12:16AM GMT
Have tried to respond to your message re the Durward Family (Alexander) but message came back. Look forward to hearing from you regarding our possible mutual ancestor.

Jan McNeill

Posted: 15 Oct 2011 1:46AM GMT
Surnames: Durward and Frost
I'm responding to the first post regarding John Durward and Mary Frost. I am a descendant of Mary Frost's brother Walter Frost. Mary and Walter's mothers name was Jane C Downs. I'm making an educated guess that the C stands for Cassandra. Jane married Joseph Frost, son of Edmund and Lydia Frost. Jane died before the early 1870's and Joseph, Mary Frost Durward's father moved to Wisconsin with his three sons, Walter, Wilmot and George Park Frost. George Park Frost was from Joseph's first marriage to Catherine Cohoe. I would appreciate any additional information on Mary and John Durward and their descendants.

Posted: 15 Oct 2011 10:52PM GMT
Surnames: Frost
For anyone interested it appears that Catherine Jane
Frost, first wife of Joseph , was buried in Courtland
United Church Cem. Middleton Twp. Norfolk.
It appears she was born 1813 and died at age 22.
Have not been able to find second wife Casandra Jane
Downs

Posted: 16 Oct 2011 2:47AM GMT
Surnames: Frost, Downs, Cohoe
Thank you for the information on Catherine. I didn't have her deathdate so that is helpful. You mentioned the cemetery as Courtland United Church cemetery. Could Jane Downs Frost, Joseph Frost's second wife be buried there as well? Catherine, Joseph Frost's first wife was Catherine Cohoe. They had one son together, George Park Frost. He moved to the states with Joseph and his two sons with Jane, Walter and Wilmot after Jane died.
I am seeing Jane Frost and Crissandra Frost? I'm going on the assumption that they are one and the same. Does anyone have any proof that J C Frost (according to the 1861 census in Elgin) is really Jane Crissandra Downs Frost?
I have an old Frost bible that was a gift to my Great Grandparents on their wedding day from Walter and Eunice Frost, Joseph Frost and Jane Downs son. On an old slip of paper is written, mother Crisandra. Joseph Frost's obituary from 1899 reads, wife Jane.

Posted: 16 Oct 2011 6:45AM GMT
Surnames: Frost
Hello;
The 1861 census of vienna , Bayham Twp has
Joseph born Upper Can 1812
Jane C wife us 1828 , some places say 1826
Margaret 1851
Wallis E. 1853, they must mean Walter
and Wilmot 1856
This is obviously the right Joseph.
Now in 1870 , he is living back in Middleton . not head of the household. It appears that Jane died beween 1861 and 1870 . I am guessing in Vienna. I cannot locate her place of burial , it is possible she is buried in Courtland
without a stone or one that is legible . It seems that Joseph moved back to Middleton. I will look some more.

Posted: 16 Oct 2011 2:51PM GMT
Thanks for the info. on Joseph being in Middleton in 1870. I haven't been able to find that. Who is listed as head of house?
As far as Catherine Cohoe, I checked and have a different date listed for birth and death. 1821 as birth and died in 1842. George Park Frost, Catherine and Joseph's son was born in 1842 so I'm guessing that Catherine died in childbirth. Her parents are Nathan Cohoe and Rebecca Lemon.
According to George Park's obituary, he married his childhood sweetheart Jeanette Ronson in Canada before moving to the States in 1886.
Joseph Frost and Walter would have been in the Grant county, Wisconsin area by then. Wilmot came in the 1890's.

Joseph Frost Obituary

Posted: 16 Oct 2011 2:55PM GMT
Thursday, November 4, 1899 , Lancaster, Wisconsin

With the passing away of the aged, especially to those who have reached such a ripe old age as the subject of the memoir, there is an added signifigance to the biography. Things which to many of us are matters of historical interest were matters of personal experience to them.

Mr. Joseph Frost was born in Norfolk Co., Province of Ontario, March 12,1812, and died on Wednesday morning, April 26, 1899, aged 87 years, 1 month and 14 days. During the period be lived in Canada he was honored with the position of constable and bailiff of Middleton for 22 years. By his first marriage to Miss Kate Cohor one son George was born who resides in Iowa. By his second marriage to Miss Jane Downs, three children were born, Mary who preceded her father to the "home over there." Wilmot, with whom he has lived for many years and Walter, also a resident of Grant county. Some two years ago Mr. Frost suffered a stroke of paralysis, since which time he has been denied active service and has been a member of the "shut-in" society. He was kindly cared for by his children and grandchildren and testified just an hour before his death of the kindness he had received at their hands. The funeral services were conducted at the home of his son on Friday last by Rev. T. J. Brown and a vast concourse of friends gathered at the home to pay the last tribute of respect to the honored resident and lay him to rest. Thus one by one they are being gathered to their rest.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic