Search for content in message boards

Where does the Palmer name originate Ireland? England?

Where does the Palmer name originate Ireland? England?

Posted: 17 Mar 2009 4:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
My Palmer ancesters can be traced to 1840's in Massachusetts. I have reached a dead end. Were the Palmers of irish decent? William Palmer married an Irish Woman.

Thanks,

Eric

Re: Where does the Palmer name originate Ireland? England?

Posted: 17 Mar 2009 4:30PM GMT
palmer Name Meaning and History

1. English: from Middle English, Old French palmer, paumer (from palme, paume ‘palm tree’, Latin palma), a nickname for someone who had been on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. Such pilgrims generally brought back a palm branch as proof that they had actually made the journey, but there was a vigorous trade in false souvenirs, and the term also came to be applied to a cleric who sold indulgences.
2. Swedish (Palmér): ornamental name formed with palm ‘palm tree’ + the suffix -ér, from Latin -erius ‘descendant of’.
3. Irish: when not truly of English origin (see 1 above), a surname adopted by bearers of Gaelic Ó Maolfhoghmhair (see Milford) perhaps because they were from an ecclesiastical family.
4. German: topographic name for someone living among pussy willows (see Palm 2).
5. German: from the personal name Palm (see Palm 3).

Dictionary of American Family Names, Oxford University Press

You can find this by clicking on the link within this message under the surname.

Posted: 17 Mar 2009 6:59PM GMT
My Palmer relatives can from Germany in the 1700s and came over as Balmer then changing it to Palmer. They lived in the Lancaster, York, Hanover PA area.

I also am distantly relate to English Palmers who seem to have come over using Palmer. They lived in upper central PA and moved to York PA and married into the Ham,Hamm, Hamme side of my family.

Posted: 17 Mar 2009 10:46PM GMT
Sharon:
My BALMER/PALMER line goes back to Johan Jacob BALMER b2/4/1740 Warwick Twp., Lancaster Co., PA, and on back (from other people's research) to Israel BALMER, Sr. b c1545 Baden, Germany.
Are you familiar with Sandy Clippinger's work?
I would be happy to trade information.
Bruce Sloan
San Francisco

Posted: 18 Mar 2009 3:08PM GMT
Hi Bruce
my line Johann M 1680?,Carl Frederick 1712, Frederick 1750,Johannes 1780, Daniel 1822, Isaiah 1864, Elmer Edward 1886, Maebelle (my mother) 1914, me Sharon S Hinderer Brickner 1947

Re: Where does the Palmer name originate Ireland? England? (Hans Jacob Balmer/Palmer)

Posted: 18 Mar 2009 4:23PM GMT
Edited: 18 Mar 2009 8:02PM GMT
Surnames: Balmer, Palmer
Sharon:
I have gone back in my sources, and I find that the connection is at Hans Jacob Balmer b11/21/1709. You sent me some informaton on him on 2/25/07 which I have confirmed with other sources.
All of my information on his siblings and ancestors comes from you, and your e-mail at the time says "Now don't ask where I got this information as it has been about 10 years ago."
Have you ever figured out your sources? I would be very interested in finding out.
Thanks,
Bruce Sloan
cornpone@prodigy.net

Re: Where does the Palmer name originate Ireland? England? (Hans Jacob Balmer/Palmer)

Posted: 18 Mar 2009 11:17PM GMT
Edited: 15 Apr 2009 6:45PM GMT
Surnames: Palmer
Here is some more.
I have Peter Parmer b. FRANCE 1809 and also another Peter that could be the father of this one as they are in the same state and would probably be born in 1770/80s.

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/g/r/e/Mel-M-Greer...

Posted: 24 Mar 2009 2:52PM GMT
Eric -

What were their names/birth dates/places, etc? Many of my Palmer ancestors are also from MA. Perhaps I can help with your dead end (or not:).

Joan in CA

Posted: 1 Apr 2009 1:48AM GMT
MY FAMILY LINES IS IN YOURS. THE LEWIS M. PALMER CHILD OF PETER PALMER 1809 IS A GGGGRANDFATHER. I AM INTERESTED IN ALL LINES TO HIM. I CAN'T GET TO THE NEXT GENERATION. CAN YOU HELP? I HAVE NO INFORMATION ON LEWIS OR PETER!!

Posted: 2 Apr 2009 5:39PM GMT
William H. Palmer b. 1827 in Ma or possibly Vermont. My tree is public. Feel free to browse.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions