Search for content in message boards

louisiana marriage bond

louisiana marriage bond

Posted: 26 Nov 2007 5:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Feb 2013 4:43PM GMT
I have a copy of a Louisiana Marriage Bond and I have a couple of questions. Who is the principal? I believe in this case it is the groom, but not sure. Also who is the surety? There is a amount of $500. what would this represent? This Bond is dated 1904. Thanks, MJ

Re: louisiana marriage bond

Posted: 27 Nov 2007 1:24AM GMT
Edited: 17 Feb 2013 4:44PM GMT
I don't know about the princible but, I 'think' the surety would be someone who sort of 'put up the $$'...possible the father of the bride.

Posted: 27 Nov 2007 8:47AM GMT
Thanks Blondie. What you say makes sense, but the whole marriage bond does not make sense to me. My husband's grandmother was 15 years old and the man she married was 41 years old, no where on the bond does it show either one of her parent's name. To make it more interesting, 6 years and 3 children later, her father shoots and kills her husband and then is found "not guilty" in a court of law.

Posted: 23 Feb 2008 8:09PM GMT
I have one of those too from 1888 from Natchitoches Parish. Looks like you pay the State. My great grandfather had a co-signer as well. Have you figured anything out about these? That's a lot of money for subsistance farmers in the 1800's.
Steve

Posted: 25 Jan 2009 3:33AM GMT
I believe in many cases the money was put up by the minister of their church. Much like posting bond today, when the marriage took place the bond was refunded to the church to be used for others.
ed

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 1:57AM GMT
Edited: 17 Feb 2013 4:45PM GMT
My mother has a copy from the Clerk of Court in Harrisonburg, La. The bond amount is $300.00 paid by my great-great grandfather. The Clerk of Court stated that the money was paid to the Parish. When my mother asked her if the money was ever returned the Clerk stated that she did not know what happened to these types of monies that were paid.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions