Search for content in message boards

Media file organization system?

Media file organization system?

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 6:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
New to the FTM 2011 software. What is the preferred way of organizing media files. Does the software have to have ONE media folder for indexing?

I like to organize folders by families>individuals. Placing the media files for each individual in a separate folder. My master files are on a network server, in case I have a computer crash my database and media files are retrievable.

Are there drawbacks with linking media files this way?

Re: Media file organization system?

Posted: 25 Feb 2011 11:08AM GMT
Cliff,

Family Tree Maker has a Media Folder for each Family File.

You have a number of options. I can only tell you what I do.

I actually have two copies of anything that I put into Family Tree Maker. The first copy would be on an External Drive where I have all of my Photos, where I file them by Family Tree Maker File.

The trick here, is Filename, for me at least. I name the files so I know what they are. Usually, Surname_First_Middle_Date_Event for the format, or some variation on that.

Now, I want to add that photo to Family Tree Maker. I Add that Media File for the Person, navigate to the External Drive and COPY that file, from the External Drive to the Media Folder for Family Tree Maker.

The next piece is the Caption for that Media file within the Media Workspace in Family Tree Maker.

Family Tree Maker allows you to Sort the Media Workspace by Filename or Caption. The caption is easy to see on the screen, the filename is there, but you have to select it to see the filename.

If you use the File, Back Up and Include the Media, it will back up your data and the media files into one file. You would then do a File, Restore from Back Up and your data and media files will be restored.

Hope that helps,

Russ

Posted: 25 Feb 2011 2:15PM GMT
Russ,

Thanks for your reply. I was afraid there was no way around having ALL the files in one media folder. To say that I can't even use sub folders within the media folder. The number of people are growing, and have hundreds of media files already (pdf,.jpg.,.doc etc.), and I am just getting started.

Then there are categories, ie. immigration, marriage, birth, etc. That I would like to keep in separate folders.

It may be just me, but the software media system seems to be lacking the ability to be able to organize the files better. IMHO. Yes, I could use the file names to organize, but the files names can get rather l o n g . . .

Family Tree Maker are you listening!

Posted: 25 Feb 2011 2:22PM GMT
Cliff,

I did NOT say that you couldn't do what you wanted. I only shared how I handle it.

Give your Subfolders a try. Don't forget to try what happens when you do a File, Backup (including media) and File, Restore.

Russ

Posted: 25 Feb 2011 6:53PM GMT
Cliff,
I do it the way you'd like. I have sub folders for everything. I have four folders for every direct person in my tree. I stopped using FTM, but when I did use it I didn't have any problems with the program going into the sub folders.

The big problem with the backup and allowing it to make a backup of the Media folder is that it will take EVERYTHING in that folder and make a back up. I have tons of photos and such that I never connected to my tree, but they were all there so I knew where to find them. When it would make a back up the file would be huge, as in 3-4 gigs.

Since I make monthly backups then I didn't want/need FTM to do it for me and if it did then I couldn't put everything on to one DVD.

Posted: 25 Feb 2011 7:38PM GMT
The more I learn the harder it is to make a decision of organization.

@Bryan brings up a good point about fitting it all on DVD, just in case I want to share the existing data files. Plus my original files can be high resolution. It would be nice to have FTM reduce the resolution when importing it into the media file, and link to the original in case any changes are made.

Experimenting, I renamed the FTM media folder to see what happens. I wanted to try and start fresh, by adding each photo or file with updated naming conventions, and categories.

The previous thumbnails are still present, and when I click on it, the link errors "file not found". I could unlink each and every file for a new start, but that is a pain.

It would be nice if the software allowed drag and drop features into the media area. Then the file description screen could pop up and prompt you for the attachment, category, description etc.

Posted: 25 Feb 2011 8:55PM GMT
I have been struggling with this same question, but for a different reason. I have a relative who I want to share some information with--i.e. information from one branch of my tree. She doesn't have ancestry.com or FTM, and isn't real good with computers. There isn't a report that brings in the media files, unless I put together a story, which I don't want to do. The pictures and most of the scans I have redundantly saved in another file on my laptop, but there are files in FTM that I would also like to share with her. Any ideas? Lauri

Posted: 25 Feb 2011 9:04PM GMT
Lauri,

What version of Family Tree Maker are you using? Version 2011 has a couple of features that might work for you.

Russ

Posted: 25 Feb 2011 9:10PM GMT
I have 2011, but went through all the reports and didn't see anything. All ideas are welcome. Thanks Russ. Lauri

Posted: 25 Feb 2011 9:34PM GMT
Lauri,

Did you check the Media Reports or the Slide Show feature?

Russ
per page

Find a board about a specific topic