Search for content in message boards

Henry Pettis of Somerset, MA

Henry Pettis of Somerset, MA

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 7:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Feb 2013 10:13PM GMT
Surnames: Pettis, Fancher
I am trying to determine if the Henry Pettis of Somerset, MA is a relative of my husband's (Charles Burgess Pettis). My husband is the great grandson of William Henry Pettis (1843-1920), who was married to Mary Elizabeth Fancher (1847-1930). I found a picture online of "The Pettis House" at 197 Main Street, Somerset, where Henry Pettis lived. I'd like to know is there is any relationship since William Henry Pettis is also from Somerset, MA.
Thank you.

Berta Wiggins Pettis

Re: Henry Pettis of Somerset, MA

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 4:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Feb 2013 5:11AM GMT
Surnames: Pettis
Can't really help. But a couple of things.

Henry Pettis is listed in the Somerset 1798 tax rolls. Looks like he is paying taxes on property, but that there is no dwelling there of yet. This would coincide with the 1800 date of the building of the home.

It stated that from Henry, the house was owned by a John Pettis. Not sure if this is immediately following and would be a son, possibly. Or if this were much closer to the publication on the house that was done in 1934. The owner at present--this in the 1934 historic work on the house...was at the time, William Moore. Perhaps some property records through time might give a clue to the family line that this takes. No doubt there is some connection, but it could be a cousin or uncle to those in your husband's line.

Wish I could have helped more. Have a great day.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions