Search for content in message boards

John A. Hall--b. abt 1805 VA, m. Matilda Pendleton

John A. Hall--b. abt 1805 VA, m. Matilda Pendleton

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2001 12:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Feb 2013 3:21PM GMT
Surnames: Hall, Pendleton
Am researching Hall family tree. Have reached a brick wall. John Archer Hall, b. abt 1805 in VA. Abt 1828, m. Matilda Pendleton, they had at least one child, son, Robert Henderson Hall, b.- Mar. 11, 1835. Robert lived and died in Claiborne Co, TN. Matilda Pendleton Hall died in 1837-VA. John might have remarried. Rumor has it, that he went off into Indian Territory. Scott Co, Va. marriage records record a marriage of a John Hall and Sarah Jones in 1837. Could this be the same John Hall. I have no clue . My rumored info stated that his second "wife" may have been an Indian. I doubt, if true, that marriage record would be found in Scott Co, records. Does anyone know anything about my John Hall. John is such a common name, I have found several John Halls, but none seem to fit with my family and dates. Please help. Thanks Linda ----dailyracing@aol.com

Re: John A. Hall--b. abt 1805 VA, m. Matilda Pendleton

Sandy (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2001 3:59AM GMT
Surnames: Hall
I also have a John Hall in my tree that I am researching. The rumor has been that he or his father married a Cherokee Indian. The John Hall I have was born about 1863 in WV, although I have no formal proof other than death certificate. I would be glad to share any information about him that I have.

Posted: 26 Aug 2001 7:32PM GMT
Hi Linda -

Have you ever played with the surname Archer in VA? I've hit my own brick wall with Cornelius Hall, b. in VA in 1780. Oddly, in my own research I've come across a Cornelius Hall who married Anne Archer in VA, 1844. Maybe sometime before your John Archer Hall was born, another Hall and Archer were married. Good luck in your search!

Posted: 27 Aug 2001 12:22PM GMT
Thanks for replying, but this cannot possibly be my John Hall. His son was born 1835, so this would be way before your John was born. My John's son, Robert Henderson Hall, served in the Civil War and already had a family at the time. because when he came back his wife and kids had eaten all the cows, pigs, chickens and and any other livestock they could catch and kill. . They had also burned most of the outbuildings for heat. Story goes, Robert joined the Union but his brothers (how many unknown) joined the Confederacy.
They never saw each other again. Just a bit of my trivia. Thanks again. Sorry, I can't help you with your John. Linda

Posted: 4 Feb 2002 4:10AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jan 2003 4:27AM GMT
I found your message and have some information for you. What I have found is John A. Hall was born in Scott, Co, Va. He married Matilda Pendleton on 18 July 1828. She was born about 1813, and died about 1835. They had at least two children, Jehu Hugh Hall, about 1834, and Robert Henderson Hall 1835-1917. John A had two other sons, James and Thomas. Thomas was born aout 1836. The other spouce I have is a unknown Jones. I have info that his Johns, mother was Cherokee Indian, but not verified. Jehu Hugh Hall is my great grandfather, which makes John A. my GG Grandfather. I to have hit a brick wall in going back past John A. If I find any more info I will let you know. Pleas E-mail me with any info you have. Thanks, Al

Linda Daily (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 2002 2:50PM GMT
I have a litle bit of info for you. First, John A. Hall had 5 children with Matilda, according to my records. 1. James Hall 2. Robert Henderdon Hall and twin 3.Catherine Hall ( b. Mar. 31,1835) 4. Thomas Hall, and 5. Jehu "Hugh" Hall.
John married Sarah Jones in Scott Co, VA. )ct. 15, 1839. They had a daughter Elizabeth. I was under the impression that Thomas and James were Matilda's children, but no proof. So you are probably right. I have the spouses of these children. I will list here.
Robert H. Hall m. Sarah Elizabeth "BETT" Wilson
Catherine Hall m. _____Jones
Thomas Hall m. Martha J. Leach
High m. Eliza Nunn
Elizabeth Hall m. John Kivett
do not have spouse for James.
Robert was in the Union Army. He was gone for over 2 years and came back to his home where his wife had killed and fed all the livestock and chickens to her family and burned most of the out buildings for fuel. His brothers Thomas and Hugh joined the Confederacy. Both were killed and are buried in the Veterans Cemetery in Knoxville, TN.
According to the records , John A's father was from England and his mother a Cherokee Indian. Robert Henderson Hall is my GG grandfather. I have photo of him. (real cute) NOT. You can write me direct at: dailyracing@aol.com
I got part of this info from Bernice Maddox who is also a descendant of John A. Thanks for your reply, Linda

Posted: 4 Apr 2002 3:08AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jan 2003 4:27AM GMT
Where did you get the information the Jehu Hugh Hall was killed in the Civil War? He was my great grandfather. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Al Hall

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 3:56PM GMT
This is my GGG Grandfather. I also have a brother named John, after him. Would love to know more and try to find out who John's parents were and where did they come from. My Dad was H. Leon Hall, his Dad was James Charles Hall, his father, William Archer Hall, son of Robert Henderson Hall, son Of John A Hall.

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 2:52PM GMT
I am sorry but you know as much about John A Hall as i do. It seems that nothing is out there i have been looking for years and cannot find anymore.

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 3:02PM GMT
I have quite a bit of data that was found online mostly, but I'm still looking. I have several books that have been passed down through my family, written about old Speedwell families, etc...and I can trace my Grandmother's side (Rogers) back to old England, but the Halls are a mystery past John A Hall. If anyone out there has anything, it would be helpful.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic