Search for content in message boards

Brass-Ankle Community

Brass-Ankle Community

Posted: 31 Jul 2002 1:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Aug 2002 1:46PM GMT
Surnames: BERRYHILL
Have been told various stories about a community around Moncks Corner that had the name of Brass Ankle. Does this exist? If so, does anyone have knowledge of its origin? Thanks. Trying to tie this in to the Berryhill family lore that has been passed down for generations.

Re: Brass-Ankle Community

S. Chubb (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2002 3:18AM GMT
There is a area south of Moncks Corner called Whitesville and Varner town that is known for having mixed breed people that is referred to as BRASS ANKLES because of the color of their skin.
Steve

Posted: 25 Oct 2002 6:01PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jan 2006 2:23PM GMT
Been studying the subject of the People, who occupy principally the
East coast and Appalachia. They are called by many names including Brass Ankles, Red Leg, Turks, Melungeon, Cubans, Crotians, etc.
There is much uncertainty, and a great deal of speculation on this group.
It is not accurate to refer to them as half-breed, mulatto, part Afro American.
There was great resistance by them in history, form time to time, to be classified as either White, Afro american, and native American.

Books on the subject are more available than previously, but you can start with "Melungeons", then "Almost White". Search the web for a site on Melungeon.

There are many family names associated with Brass ankles, including
Sweat, Varner, Driggers, Bunch, Goins, Dubose, Platt, and Tann.
They may have relationship with the Summerville Indians etc.

Posted: 25 Oct 2002 6:01PM GMT
Been studying the subject of the People, who occupy principally the
East coast and Appalachia. They are called by many names including Brass Ankles, Red Leg, Turks, Melungeon, Cubans, Crotians, etc.
There is much uncertainty, and a great deal of speculation on this group.
It is not accurate to refer to them as half-breed, mulatto, part Afro American.
There was great resistance by them in history, form time to time, to be classified as either White, Afro american, and native American.

Books on the subject are more available than previously, but you can start with "Melungeons", then "Almost White". Search the web for a site on Melungeon.

There are many family names associated with Brass ankles, including
Sweat, Varner, Driggers, Bunch, Goins, Dubose, Platt, and Tann.
They may have relationship with the Summerville Indians etc.

Posted: 21 Apr 2003 5:34PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jul 2003 7:16PM GMT
I was told since I was a youth that "Brass-Ankled" was a term used to describe people of african american and white ancestry. Later they intermarried with indians or families of the same background, mixed heritage because they didn't fit in a particular box. They weren't accepted by the masses, so to speak. I know this because my grandfather is a Varner. Times were different then. You had to be so called 100%. We know now that today no ones 100% anything. :)
They are not from outer space. They are not a mystery. They are simply what we call today, biracial. Some passed as white. Some passed for black. Some looked indian because of the intermarriaging. My grandfather knows the families. Sometimes arrangements were made. Marriage between two brass ankled families.

Posted: 21 Apr 2003 7:03PM GMT
thank you valarie.

informative.
I have quite a few pix of Varners and wonder if you have any
and want to exchange?

Posted: 22 Apr 2003 6:17PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jul 2003 7:16PM GMT
Sure I would love to see your pics. However it will be a week before I could email pics to you. My grandfather heard what I've been up to and he is getting old pics from the attic. Will email them as soon as possible. My grandfather said his grandfather was white and had three sons from his slave. It was said that my grandfather's grandfather committed suicide just before the civil war or during because he didn't want to leave his sons. I can't remember his name at the moment. His story is fascinating though. He had two uncles that went as white. His father's brothers, but his father stayed in the black community and married. His bride was also biracial. Crossed in with the Simmons family from an area called Cooper Store. Just a few miles from Carnes Cross Road. My grandfather said that he remembers the Carnes family too, growing up. So many fascinating stories. My grandfather laughs because he said his father should have went for white. He said that his father confused people. He himself inherited his complexion and blond hair blue eyes. Grandfather knows about many families. His family still interacted with his caucasian friends. They continued to accept them and acknowledged them. They had a lot of love.

Posted: 14 May 2004 3:27AM GMT
Trying to understand my ancestry. I am stuck around Marlboro(1830/1840/1850) and Marion(1860) in South Carolina.

Family been listed Mulatto.

I recently did an anthropology Y-DNA test finding are 87% European, 11% East Asian and 2% Sub-Saharan African. Kinda bizaare there no American Indian.

Cause of these result I looking into these multiracial clans. Strange thing is no grown male listed in household during the earlier census reading but there are 3 generations of females. In the 1850 census my first male shows up which I believe I decend from.

Does anyone know if perhap a different group was in Marlboro County? I find there a large number of Hunts in Lumbee Tribe(Robeson County, North Carolina) and wonder if my Hunt line from them.

Time will only tell I suppose I have my Y-DNA in a database online perhap a distant cousin will do their and we can fill in the gaps.

Ralph Chapman (View posts)
Posted: 14 May 2004 3:50PM GMT
From my understanding of the Brass Ankle community, not all were mixed blood. Some of the plantation owners were very sympathetic with the Native Americans and hid them on their plantations in sufficient numbers that they married within their families rather than mix with the Mulattos or African/Americans also present there. Do not know info on the Hunt family, so can't help you with more specific details. Just have "hand me down" info from my side of the family. Our DNA testing is not reflective of any Afro/Asian traces but do show predominately European with some slight trace of Native American. THis is problematic in that one side of the family married freely into the NAs and moved to North Carolina with the migration. Primary in this group are the Hatchers.

Posted: 14 May 2004 5:21PM GMT
check out Lumbeetribe.com

This is one area Hunt are found. I really think I need to keep an open mind since I can't place my pedigree into North Carolina. Although Marlboro County, SC is next door to Robeson County, NC.

I have Moore in female side in the early 1800 to 1850. Around Georgetown County, SC.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic