Search for content in message boards

Sheffield DNA Project

Sheffield DNA Project

Katherine (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2003 8:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 May 2003 8:24PM GMT
Surnames: Sheffield
To all the Sheffield families that still carry the Sheffield name and have a living Male Sheffield.

If you are from one of the Virginia, RI, or Conn. familes and think your testing is not needed you are mistaken. We are trying to link these Virginia, NC and Northen families through this testing. We are certain they are all kin. But we need this testing to help us because so many of the records were lost during the Civil war and other disasters.

This is just a cheek swab. No blood testing. But it would help researhers so much if you are a Sheffield male to have this important testing done, regardless of the family line you are from, it WILL BE HELPFUL and INVALUABLE!

For more information on this testing please contact, Lynna Shuffield. Lynna is a respected researcher and was owner and still may be owner of the Rootsweb Sheffield archives.
friday@argohouston.com

I enter this plea again because I think people don't understand that more lines are needed to participate in order to put this puzzle together. If you are a dedicated Sheffield, then you should be honored to participate in this valuable research! And the lines particularly from Virginia, RI and Conn are needed to complete this process!
Kathy

Re: Sheffield DNA Project

Posted: 26 Jul 2005 9:09AM GMT
Can you tell me if they are still doing the DNA project? I just found the posting and I have 3 sons who are Sheffield's. Their line starts with: #1 John I Sheffield , #2 John W Sheffield & Mary E West, #3 William Sheffield & Mary Abott, #4 John H Sheffield & Martha Harvey, #5 Isham Sheffield & Nancy Roddenberry, #6 Isham Sheffield & Sarah "Sally" Wade, #7 James E Sheffield & Cornelia Clark, #8 Dilworth Clark Sheffield & Linda N. Mills, # 9 Jeffrey A Sheffield & Debra A Cruce, then my sons. If you are still doing the DNA and can let me know how much it costs I will see if I can swing it financially. It would be intersting to see if all the lines are indeed related. YOu can email me directly at debbiecruce@hotmail.com.
Debibe

Posted: 14 Feb 2006 11:23PM GMT
Surnames: Sheffield, Robinson, Ward, Sutton
You are not interested in the branch of Sheffield's from North Ridings, Yorkshire who emigrated to Steuben Co., NY around 1820? They are from the Malton/Huttons Ambo region of Yorkshire. William Sheffield (b. 1762) and his wife Sophia Ward Sheffield stayed in Yorkshire, but their children, Thomas B Sheffield (b. 1797), Richard H Sheffield (b. 1790), Elizabeth Sheffield Robinson (b. 1791), Sophia Sheffield (b. 1799), and Samuel Sutton (b. 1820) came to the US. They settled around Jasper, NY, then one branch moved to Hardin Co., IA in 1870's. Thomas B Sheffield actually settled first in Caldwell Co, KY about 1821, but returned to Steuben Co, NY by 1828. Is it at all possible that this family is related to your group? Let me know because I have two brothers who's last name is Sheffield.

Michelle Sheffield Florence
mflorenc@bellsouth.net
Lake Worth, Fl

js sheffield (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jun 2006 2:52AM GMT
Is it only the male Sheffields? Why can't some of us Sheffield females count? My father was a Sheffield. I have a half brother who is my father's son by a second marriage. Would mine be helpful to others and me? I don't know if he would be interested or not.

Glenda Geraci (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2006 4:00PM GMT
My brother was not interested, but I was and I paid for the kit and begged him for cheek swabs. He is a good brother and he humored me. He is now in the DNA database.

Re: New Sheffield DNA Project with new website - June 2009

Posted: 10 Jun 2009 2:08PM GMT
We have started a DNA project named Sheffields_of_VA/NC at Family Tree DNA. Carl Sheffield is the administrator and I will be working closely with him. Carl promises to administrate an active and comprehensive project. We will also promise to follow all the FTDNA Administrator privacy regulations without exception.

DNA alone does not address all the answers as to whom your ancestors are. It is just another tool to assist all your other sources which you have used over the years. One thing different is that DNA does not lie. It is not subject to misspellings, language misunderstandings and the other mistakes that can confuse the issue.

DNA testing has already confirmed that the William of Bulloch line is part of the Northampton/Moore/Duplin line as was surmised by many people. In Virginia, it has been determined that the Henry County line and the Washington County line do not have a common American ancestor.

The project name indicates the focus will begin with families originating in Virginia and North Carolina The interest is to expand the focus of this website to be all inclusive for the name Sheffield both Nationwide and Worldwide. The promise to be comprehensive means that all males with the surname Sheffield or one of its derivatives are invited to join and be served.

· If you have had y-DNA testing already and belong to a FTDNA project, you can join this new project at no cost. You may join as many projects as you wish without withdrawing from your existing memberships.

· Others may move their results from other sites to FTDNA for a nominal fee. So, if you are descended from the Northampton/Moore/Duplin Sheffield's or the Edmund of Sudbury Sheffield's or any of the more than one hundred other Sheffield immigrants, this projects welcomes you and will work with you to determine your heritage.

· The goal is to identify and trace all Sheffield lines through the inception of the expanded US Census in 1850.

VERY IMPORTANT DISCOUNTS ON DNA KITS FOR A SHORT PERIOD

Sheffield males, FTDNA has announced a limited time offer of one of their DNA tests.

Offer summary:

• Y-DNA37+mtDNA for $119.

(The regular project price is $248 – a reduction of more than 50%!!)

• The promotion will begin on June 9, 2009 and will end on June 24, 2009

• Kits ordered in this sale must be paid for by June 30, 2009

To order a test kit and join the new FTDNA Sheffields_of_VA/NC project, go to:

https://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?Group=Sheffiel...

Again it is very important if you want to take advantage of the discount to remember that it is only in the Month of June, 2009

Posted: 10 Jun 2009 10:19PM GMT
Debbie, I just read your post here.

Your line is from William Sheffield and Mary Abbott of Bulloch County, NC. We have just had comparison proof that this family originated in Duplin, likely from William Sheffield brother to John Sheffield who died in 1790. Your older William was married to a Sarah and had other sons John and Amos. His sons for years were confused with William of Bulloch's by calling Austin, Amos Austin! But those sons Amos and John never left Duplin and they were named in William's will. It turns out that many times the older children left home and the family helped them, and then left only those children who had not been helped in the will. Definitely your William's DNA profile fits 100% in the Duplin Group. If I can send you more on this older William, please let me know.

I do not want to discourage you from joining the NEW DNA website: it is at

Even though you may not want to test it would be good for you and any of your Sheffield family to join. We are still working on finding who the oldest ancestor was before William of Northampton.

If you would like more on this William's family, please write me at kathytork1@cableone.net

Posted: 10 Jun 2009 10:27PM GMT
Sorry not to have answered you sooner. Yes we are interested in the female Sheffields. We are hoping to begin a new testing as there is much knowledge to be obtained from the female side as well!

Below is the new DNA web site we are beginnig. Don't be fooled by the words VA, we do mean worldwide!

And right now Ancestry is having a sale, so just continue on down and read it. The sale is only good until June 2009.

If you want more information please write me at
kathytork1@cableone.net

To look at the new web site and to join:

DNA alone does not address all the answers as to whom your ancestors are. It is just another tool to assist all your other sources which you have used over the years. One thing different is that DNA does not lie. It is not subject to misspellings, language misunderstandings and the other mistakes that can confuse the issue.

DNA testing has already confirmed that the William of Bulloch line is part of the Northampton/Moore/Duplin line as was surmised by many people. In Virginia, it has been determined that the Henry County line and the Washington County line do not have a common American ancestor.

We have enough testing done on the Duplin Group to assure that we are on the right track. Now we need the other lines, VA, RI, Mass, and Nova Scotia to continue to test so that we may establish data banks that tell us how our migrations actually occured.

The project name indicates the focus will begin with families originating in Virginia and North Carolina The interest is to expand the focus of this website to be all inclusive for the name Sheffield both Nationwide and Worldwide. The promise to be comprehensive means that all males with the surname Sheffield or one of its derivatives are invited to join and be served.

· If you have had y-DNA testing already and belong to a FTDNA project, you can join this new project at no cost. You may join as many projects as you wish without withdrawing from your existing memberships.

· Others may move their results from other sites to FTDNA for a nominal fee. So, if you are descended from the Northampton/Moore/Duplin Sheffield's or the Edmund of Sudbury Sheffield's or any of the more than one hundred other Sheffield immigrants, this projects welcomes you and will work with you to determine your heritage.

· The goal is to identify and trace all Sheffield lines through the inception of the expanded US Census in 1850.

VERY IMPORTANT DISCOUNTS ON DNA KITS FOR A SHORT PERIOD

Sheffield males, FTDNA has announced a limited time offer of one of their DNA tests.

Offer summary:

• Y-DNA37+mtDNA for $119.

(The regular project price is $248 – a reduction of more than 50%!!)

• The promotion will begin on June 9, 2009 and will end on June 24, 2009

• Kits ordered in this sale must be paid for by June 30, 2009

To order a test kit and join the new FTDNA Sheffields_of_VA/NC project, go to:

Again it is very important if you want to take advantage of the discount to remember that it is only in the Month of June, 2009

Thank you for all the years of research on these wonderful Sheffield families. I have enjoyed speaking with all of you over these years.

Please keep in touch as we continue to unravel the mysteries of these families. Also, please help us get this word out. Please forward this email to all of your Sheffield contacts throughout the world.

Kathy Torkelson
Through John Sheffield of Duplin, NC d. 1790 and his father William Sheffield of Northampton, NC. d. aft. 1764

Posted: 10 Jun 2009 10:28PM GMT
Glenda, I hope you will post on the New DNA site as well!

Kathy Torkelson

Posted: 10 Jun 2009 10:32PM GMT
Family be aware that we are starting a new DNA website that we hope to have more comprehensive than the current one.

I will be involved with this site and we will keep updating and posting new information on all of our research.

Thanks, Kathy Torkelson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic