More Bang for Your Buck

More Bang for Your Buck

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 12:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
This post was deleted by the author on 8 May 2014 2:45PM GMT

Re: More Bang for Your Buck

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 2:00AM GMT
Not to derail, but why did you take this test, if you aren't a genealogist?

(Sincerely asking. Is your sister the genealogist? Were you mostly curious about the ethnic breakdown? I think a lot of us assume that other test-takers have the same goals, so I'm interested in other scenarios.)

And yeah, the more you can put into the test (paper trail work, testing family members), the more you will get out of it - no argument. Counting the days until my Dad tests (yDNA at FTDNA, not sure yet about autosomal). Being able to phase and even just make comparisons and eliminations is going to be pretty amazing.

Still, with Ancestry's tree-sharing features (a form of collaboration, but not one that demands immediate interaction), if they just added a segment comparison tool, one could do quite a bit of work and discovery without having to collaborate in a more traditional sense. I'm not advocating that, just saying there's a lot of potential here to make great strides in your research via DNA even if you're a lone, introverted tester.

(Actually, I *am* kind of advocating for that, because with 3000+ matches and counting, it's nice if you can develop research questions before involving other humans. I can barely keep up with my messages and email as it is, lol. Luckily most people are patient, but I do love me some efficiency.)

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 6:00PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 8 May 2014 2:48PM GMT

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 10:29PM GMT
Ah - thanks for the explanation. I got it now.

"I do not understand why Ancestry.com will not add a search function to the DNA results."

You and me and everyone else!

I guess I can see why it might be hard, though, since everyone has different matches. Do they create new searchable databases for each customer (containing *all* of that person's match tree names/dates), or do they create a search that is able to say "look for (whatever), but only search those trees attached to customers flagged as matches to this person who is logged in and doing the search"?

I have no idea. Maybe some actual programmers have theories? At FTDNA and 23andMe, you can search for text that people have manually entered into their profiles, but that's it. The search is across very static, limited, unformatted information. What we want from Ancestry seems to be more complicated... although you'd think they could at least let us search for the names of our matches. Pffft... :)

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 10:55PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jan 2013 12:10AM GMT
If they were to give us the capability to download our data into a spreadsheet format, I'd be glad to do my own searching. :)

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 11:07PM GMT
+1

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 11:37PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 8 May 2014 2:49PM GMT

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 8:40PM GMT
I spoke with Ancestry last week. Apparently, we will have the ability to download our raw data by year's end.

I wish they would allow us to sort matches by common surnames.

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 10:26PM GMT
Year's end??? What happened to "early 2013"?

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 1:31AM GMT
1-5 stars would be nice so I can rate the results.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions