Search for content in message boards

Startzman

Startzman

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 5:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Startzman
I am looking for information on my Great Grandfather's Parents and also beyond them. His name was Leo Edison Startzman Sr. from Hagerstown, MD. Born 07/20/1899 and died 05/30/1982. He first married Grace B. Scott and they had 7 children. He then later married Vesta B. Startzman. Any help would be much appreciated!

Re: Startzman

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 7:29PM GMT
hi
i show the parents of leo as william h.startzman and annie
c.reynolds.they married 15 june 1871 at st.paul's episcopal ch.in hagerstown,wash.,md.
parents of william h. b-1851 are daniel startzman b-ca.1822
and susana mcnamee.they married 22 feb.1841 at st.john's lutheran ch.in hagerstown,md.

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 7:37PM GMT
Oh my Gracious! Thank you!! I have been looking for almost 2 years now and have found nothing! How did you find the information?

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 8:44PM GMT
I think it's possible that Leo Edison Startzman may not be the natural child of William H and Annie C (Randall) Startzman. He may be adopted by them. Here's why:

WWI Draft Registration card says the nearest relative for Leo Edison Startzman is
Annie C Startzman ???mother
There is a word before "mother". I think it says adopted mother or possibly step mother, but it's very difficult to read

On the 1910 Census:

1910 Census
Hagerstown, Ward 2, Washington, Maryland
42 Elizabeth
Startzman, William A, head, m, w, 59, m1, 38, Maryland, Maryland, Maryland, Lawyer??, Public Works?
- Annie C, wife, f, w, 59, m1, 38, Maryland, Maryland, Maryland
Skeo?? Leo E S, boarder, m, w, 11, s, Maryland, Unknown, Unknown

Again unfortunately the record is difficult to read, but he definitely has a different surname than Startzman. on Family Search they have it indexed as Jones

On the 1900 Census:

1900 Census
Hagerstown, Washington, Maryland
42 Elizabeth Street
Starchman, Wm H, head, m, w, Feb 1851, 49, m, 29, Maryland, Maryland, Maryland, Laborer, Table Works
- Annie C, wife, f, w, Mar 1851, 49, m, 29, 0/0, Maryland, Maryland, Maryland
- Lillie, daughter, f, w, Jan 1880, 20, s, 1/1, Maryland, Maryland, Maryland
- Leo E, son, m, w, July 1898, 1, s, Maryland, Maryland, Maryland
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Hagerstown, Washington, Maryland; Roll: 629; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 89; FHL microfilm: 1240629.

Notice that it says Annie is the mother of zero children / zero living, and then Lillie and Leo are listed as daughter and son. Lillie is listed as mother of 1 child / 1 living. It is very likely that Leo is her son, especially considering William and Annie would have both been 48 when Leo was born.
But if the 0 children / 0 living is correct for Annie, it would also mean that Lillie is not their birth child either.

1880 Census
Hagerstown, Washington, Maryland
19 June 1880
Startzman, Wm, w, m, 29, married, laborer, Maryland, Maryland, Maryland
- Annie, w, f, 29, wife, married, keeping house, Maryland, Maryland, Maryland
Source Citation: Year: 1880; Census Place: Hagerstown, Washington, Maryland; Roll: 516; Family History Film: 1254516; Page: 71A; Enumeration District: 146; Image: 0332.

If Lillie were their daughter and if she was born in Jan 1880 as it says on the 1900 census, she should appear with them in 1880 but does not.

--
Here's the family in 1920

1920 Census
Hagerstown, Ward 2, Washington, Maryland
48 Elizabeth
Starchman, William H, head, m, w, 68, m, Maryland, Maryland, Maryland, laborer, Table Works
-Annie C, wife, f, w, 68, m, Maryland, Maryland, Maryland
-Leo E, son, m, w, 21, m, Maryland, Maryland, Maryland, Finisher, Table Works
-Grace B, daughter-in-law, f, w, 20, Virginia, Virginia, Virginia
-Annie K, granddaughter, f, w, 3/12, s, Maryland, Maryland, Virginia
Source Citation: Year: 1920; Census Place: Hagerstown Ward 2, Washington, Maryland; Roll: T625_676; Page: 15A; Enumeration District: 155; Image: 190.

More info on William

Web: Washington County, Maryland, Marriage Index, 1861-1949 about William H Startzman
Name: William H Startzman
Spouse: Annie Randall
Marriage Date: 15 Jun 1871
Marriage Place: Washington, Maryland, United States

Maryland, Births and Christenings, 1650-1995
Name: William H.
Baptism/Christening Date: 24 Mar 1852
Baptism/Christening Place: Hagerstown, Washington, Maryland
Birth Date: 14 Feb 1851
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Daniel Startzman
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Susan
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C05001-2
System Origin: Maryland-EASy
Source Film Number: 859283
Reference Number: p.338
Source Citation "Maryland, Births and Christenings, 1650-1995," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F4Z2-SS4 : accessed 13 June 2012), William H. , 1851.

Joy

Posted: 14 Jun 2012 1:34AM GMT
Joy,
Wow, that was alot of information! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out with this. It is not the information that I was hoping to hear, but does answer alot of un answered questions. I will look at all of the info you sent me in detail and hopefully be able to come to a conclusion. Thanks so much!!

Posted: 3 Sep 2012 1:07PM GMT
It appears Joy is correct, his last name must be Jones. I found this in Sept 24, 1927 Morning Herald:

PUBLIC SALE OF HOUSE AND LOT
NO. 48 ELIZABETH ST.
By virtue of powers of sale contained in two mortgages executed by Leo E. Startzman Jones and
Grace B. Startzman Jones, one dated
November 18, 1924 and the other
dated May 22, 1925, and recorded In
Liber No. 170, folio 54 and Liber No.
71, folio 610, respectively, among
the land records of Washington
County, Md., and duly assigned to me
for foreclosure and collection, defaults having
been made in the covenants therein.
I, the undersigned, will sell
at public sale in front of the Court House
in Hagerstown MD. on Tuesday, October 18, 1927................................

being the same property which was devised to the said
Leo. E. Startzman Jones by Annie C, Startzman, deceased, by her last will and testament recorded in Wills, Liber N, folio 498, one of the Records In the Office of the Register of Wills for said Washington County.

Lynn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions