Search for content in message boards

Evan Shelby

Evan Shelby

June Barker (View posts)
Posted: 27 Dec 2005 12:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
There is an Evan Shelby on the 1850 census living in Mississippi County, Missouri born abt. 1792 in North Carolina.
Wife's name Elizabeth born abt. 1802 in North Carolina - There is one child shown - Jacob age 11- born in Missouri -also living in the household are A. Williams (Female) age 19 born in Illinois and Elizabeth Blocker age 9 born in Missouri. Can someone tell me where this Evan Shelby fits into the picture?
June Barker

Re: Evan Shelby

Posted: 29 Dec 2005 2:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Oct 2006 1:58AM GMT
Hi June,

Evan is the [supposed] son of Jacob Shelby and Serepta Polk Alexander..

May 2001- Mrs Ruth Rakop has provided the information for Evan and his family that is shown here. She stated that she continues the search for Evan's first wife and for real evidence that he might be a brother to Charles Alexander SHELBY..

1818 State Census - Pope Co, IL
Evan SHELBY - 2 -21 & over & 3 others
Wiley and William, according to other census records, were born in 1820 and appear to have been twins..

1820 Census - Pope Co, IL
Evan SHELBY - is 21, + 3 others
This would indicate Evan, a wife and 2 children - Wiley and William

1850 Census for Mississippi Co, MO has Wiley born in TN and William in KY..

Marriage record R-213, F-338 Christian Co, KY at Hopkinsville- 20 Feb 1823
Know all men by these presents that we, Evan Shelby and Timothy Blocker are held firmly bound unto the Commonwealth of Kentucky on the penal sum of Fifty punds and for the payment of which we bind ourselves, our heirs, Executors and Administrators and jointly, severally and firmly by these presents, sealed with our seal and dated the 20th of February, 1823.
The condition of the above obligation is such that a marriage is shortly intended to be solemnized between the above bound Evan Shelby and Elizabeth Blocker for which license has this day been issued. Now if there should be no lawful objection to obstruct the said marriage, then this obligation is to be void, else to remain in full force and virtue. Signed- Evan Shelby and Timothy Blocker.
Sir, this is to certify that I, Celia Blocker, do give Evan Shelby leave to get license to marry my daughter, Elizabeth, in the County of Christian. Given under my hand and seal this 20th day of February 1823. Signed with her mark (x) Celia Blocker. Attest: James Blocker.

1818 State Census - Pope Co, IL
Evan SHELBY - 2 -21 & over & 3 others
Wiley and William, according to other census records, were born in 1820 and appear to have been twins..

1820 Census - Pope Co, IL
Evan SHELBY - is 21, + 3 others

Evan and Elizabeth marry in KY in 1823

1830 Census Tiwappity Twp, Scott Co, MO
Evan SHELBY - age30-40
Wife - age 20-30 [Elizabeth-her widowed mother is a neighbor]]
1 male under 5 [James E-b 1827]
2 males 10-16 [Wiley & William age 10]

1840 Census Scott Co, MO
Evan SHELBY - age 40-40
Wife - age 30-40 [Elizabeth]
1 male under 5 [Jacob-b 1839]
1 male 10-16 [James E]
2 males 20-30 [Wiley and William age 20]

1850 Census Mississippi Co, MO; 26 Aug; p456
Evan Shelby, 58 b NC
Elizabeth, 48 NC
Jacob, 11 MO
A Williams, 19f IL
Elizabeth Blocker, 9 MO

Also here is Charles A Shelby and wife Sarah, and family; and their son John Bonnett Shelby and his family.

31 Oct 1836-Scott Co MO- This Indenture made and entered into on this the thirty first day of October in the year eighteen hundred and thirty six. Evan SHELBY and Elizabeth SHELBY his wife of the first part and Jeremiah BROWN of the second part all of the county of Scott..:Witnesseth that the said SHELBY & wife for and in consideration of the sum of one hundred dollars by the said BROWN to them in hand paid in currant money of the United States the Rect whereof is hereby acknowledged the said party of the first part have granted bargained and sold and by these presence do grant bargain sell transfer convey and deliver to the said party of the second part the following described tracts or parcels of land lying and being in the count aforesaid viz the south east quarter of the south east quarter of section twelve township no twenty six north range no fifteen east containing forty acres entered by said Evan SHELBY at the land office in Jackson Missouri as will more fully apear by reference to entery at said land office dated March 11 (1836) eithteen hundred and thirty six to have and to hold the said above described tract or parcel of land with the improvements thereon to him the said Jeremiah BROWN his heirs and assigns forever and to his and thier only proper use and behoof(sic) and the said Evan SHELBY and wife for themselves their heirs executor, do hereby covenant to and with the said Jeremiah BROWN to warrant and forever defend the title of the aforesaid Jeremiah BROWN in and to the aforesaid tract or parcel of land & improvements as also the title of his heirs and assigns in & to the same against the claim of claims of all and every person or persons whom soever. In testimony where of they have here unto set their hands and affixed their seals the day and year above written.
Evan & Elizabeth both sign with their marks.

Mary Louise is a 3rd children
1860 census Mississippi Co, MO; Tywappity Twp-Charleston; p14; Dwelling 97
John Mason, 30 KY Laborer
Reeves Martin, 15 MO
Susan Sherfield[sic], 18 MO

I Evan SHELBY of the county of Mississippi....
"my granddaughter Delila Ann MASON..
"My dear wife Mary Louisa SHELBY...
"My two sons Wiley and James E SHELBY..
"My two granddaughters Susan SHEFFIELD and Elizabeth SHELBY..

"I appoint Wiley SHELBY and James E SHELBY the executors of this my last will and testament. Evan signs with his mark

Son William had died before 1858...Delia/Delila, Susan and Elizabeth, are his children
Nothing further appears on son Jacob

From Melanie Duvall:
Scott Co, MO- Tombstone Receipts- Est. #1536 Box 46-Evan Shelby b 6 Sept 1791; d 15 Nov 1860, aged 69 y 2m 9d

You may also want to check the Shelby Genforum message boards, at
per page

Find a board about a specific topic