Search for content in message boards

obit request

obit request

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 9:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Nov 2012 9:36AM GMT
I'm looking for an obit for Alton Eugene Skipper whose death date is 10 June 1998. He is buried at the Veterans Cem. at Black Mountain. According to SSDI, His last residence was Ashville, Buncombe County, NC.

What newspaper would have published his obit?

Re: obit request

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 1:32AM GMT
Try Asheville Citizen

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 6:18AM GMT
The very dedicated folks at the Old Buncombe County Genealogical Society have spent many years indexing Buncombe County obituaries. The index is available on their website, and they can provide a copy of the obit for a small fee. See obcgs.com home page for links to alphabet ranges. They have an entry for Alton E. Skipper, age 66, born Bladen Co, NC. Apparently the Asheville Citizen-Times published something for him on June 12 and June 15, 1998. There are other Skipper family members listed as well.
Good luck!
Dorinda Whitley

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 10:05AM GMT
Thank You So Much; I will contact them this week. I found that he is buried at the Veterans Cem. on Black Mountain, NC but would be interested in that newspaper article or obit.

Do you have genelaogybank.com subscription? I've been thinking about subscribing to it but wanted to talk to people who have it to see if they have a lot of success acquiring obits on it before I join and if it user friendly as Ancestry.com?

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 10:51AM GMT
Sorry - never heard of Genealogybank.com. That doesn't mean anything - there's lots of new stuff out there that I haven't caught up with. I've been focused on early Buncombe deed records for a long time now.

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 3:50PM GMT
I checked out their website and found the information you told me about and sent them an email. I need to start myself a notebook just for genealogy correspondence or a list of what I want to get or are missing, instead of these many bits of paper cluttering up my computer desk, so I can work more effidicntly. I don't like to file, that's one of my down falls and sometimes I end up printing duplicate copies of some genealogy research, wasting cartridge ink and paper and my time. Maybe I should start a different color folder for each person or family on unfinished work.

You mentioned that you have been working on land deeds..that is something I haven't really done too much of. I'm sure once I started doing it, I'd learn a lot about how the ancestor obtained the property, etc. When I get to Harrisburg, Pa. the next time, I do want to research some deeds. A living relative has told me that her Maternal grandmother was left a house in exchange for taking care of a lady for years because she had no other family. I believe this Aunt's story because her mind is very sharp but it would be wonderful to have that legal document in my collection.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions