Search for content in message boards

Johnson

Johnson

jeff (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johnson
Looking for any info on William Johnson of Pike co. married to Mary during the late 1800's. He was supposed to be a postmaster and sheriff.

Johnson, William

Posted: 18 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Feb 2006 10:21PM GMT
Surnames: Johnson
I have the following William in my database as a son of Reuben (Rubin) Johnson and Bethena Vanover. He may fit the timeframe, but I have no other information about him.

Descendants of Rubin Johnson

1 Rubin Johnson b: 1854
. +Bethena Vanover b: 1857
..... 2 Benjamin Johnson b: Aft. 1867
............. 3 Harrison Johnson
..... 2 Elizabeth Johnson b: Aft. 1867
......... +George W. Elkins b: 1879 Father: Booker Elkins Mother: Christinia Johnson
............. 3 Reuben Dodge Elkins
..... 2 James Johnson b: Aft. 1867
..... 2 George Johnson b: Aft. 1867
..... 2 William Johnson b: Aft. 1867
..... 2 Mary Johnson b: Aft. 1867
......... +Aaron Lucas, Jr.

William Johnson

Posted: 22 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 14 Mar 2003 3:59AM GMT
Surnames: JOHNSON
This is what I have on the son of Rubin Johnson and Bethena Vanover,William Johnson.
1 William "Willie" Johnson b 18 Jan 1877 in Pike Co.,KY d 15 May 1965 in Letcher Co.,KY
...+Matilda Cable m abt 1900

2 Delsie Johnson
...+John Pennell m 15 May 1933 in Pike Co.,KY

2 Elsie Johnson

2 Minnie Johnson
...+Curt Elkins

2 Dock Johnson
...+Doa Lee Ball

2 Ruben Johnson b 1903 in Pike Co.,KY d 21 November 1968
...+Minnie Etter Laws

2 Bessie Johnson b 25 Dec 1903
...+Ememtt Hassell Johnson

2 William Johnson b 24 November 1905 d 3 October 1973
...+Jessie Damron

2 Thean Johnson b Feb 1910 in Pike Co.,KY
...+Bernie Oaks

Re: William Johnson

Posted: 15 May 2003 4:55AM GMT
i am looking for a wm johnson married to a matilda mullins and possibly later to rosa fouts. do you any of this

Jim W. Tackitt (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2003 3:16AM GMT
Surnames: Johnson, Ramsey, Fouts, Mullins, Tackitt, Tackett
Crystal Watson; <crystalawatson@yahoo.com>; 15 May 2003

Crystal:
From the dates of birth given for the two William Johnsons, one can certainly assume that they may well be the same person. Some points to recall, though:

(1) William Johnson, 18 Dec 1813 - 25 Aug 1897, [a son of Wm. Payne Johnson & Aley Tackitt], however was married to Matilda Mullins on 13 May 1830 in Pike Co. by Elder Wm. Tackitt. This William Johnson lived with Matilda until her death in 1886 and is buried on the R.E. Fleming Cem. at Etty, Pike Co. [See Pike Co., KY Census, 1850-1880]. On the hill to the left of the Fleming Cem. at Etty, and in back of the old Ben F. Johnson store, is the Johnson Cem. where a memorial stone for William Johnson is really not known.

(2) William Johnson, b c 1812, VA, was marr. 2nd on 17 Nov 1867 in Pike Co. at George Fouts to Rosanne A. Fouts, b c1842/43, Ashe Co., NC. From the entries on the Census one would have to assume that this William had died prior to the 1870 census leaving Rosanne as a widow.

That the 1st William was apparently born in Kentucky [Census] and the 2nd William noted as born in Virginia [Marr. Rec.], would also indicate that these were not the same person.

But saying all this, “stranger things have happened,” and you just may wish to further research any leads on this 2nd William to prove “beyond a doubt” that he was not the same as the first.

There was also the William Johnson, noted as b c 1824, VA, who marr. Elizabeth Jane Ramsey in Pike Co. on 17 Dec 1844 . . . AND . . . . William Johnson, b c 1815, VA, apparent son of Elder John S. Johnson, b c 1766 PA. This William also found in the 1850 Pike Co., KY Census and the 1860 Floyd Co., KY Census.

Jim W. Tackitt, 1830 Johnson Dr., Concord, CA 94520; Jim@TackettFamilies.com

Tackett Assn. Website: http://www.tackettfamilies.com
[For a reply to personal genealogy email, please include your full name & home USPS mailing address. Thanks.]

Posted: 16 May 2003 4:25AM GMT
Jim, Thanks for replying. I am very curious to find out if these two are one and the same. I would love to get a hold of the 1870 Pike census. My grandmother always told me that Wm died not long after he married Rosa. They had 2 boys, one died young, and Thomas. Supposedly Wm died when Thomas was around 2. In the 1880 Pike Census it has Rosa and Thomas living with her parents and that she is divorced. My grandmother also told me Wm owned lots of land in Pike Co and Rosa never recieved any of it when he died. Which makes me wonder if he really died. She wouldn't recieve it if they divorced. I know that when Thomas married he moved to Letcher Co and Rosa came to live with him. Very curious to find out something on this family. Email me direct at crystal_scotty@msn.com

Posted: 21 Mar 2014 4:13PM GMT
You have Thean Johnson married to Bernie Oaks.
I found children born to Thena Johnson in Pike Co. KY. and was looking for the father of these children by the name of Oaks.
Especially looking for Can M. Oaks b. 11 Jan 1936 in Pike Co. KY. I have Can's wife's obituary. her name is Mary Ann Wisniewski Oaks. She died March 15, 2013 of Commerce Twp. Michigan.
Apparently Can Oaks is still living.
I am related to the Oaks family of Lincoln Co. KY
You can find her obituary at this web site.

www.michiganmemorialfuneralhome.com #sthash.Hnk4RsKl.dpuf

Re: Johnson

Posted: 16 May 2014 9:05PM GMT
Edited: 16 May 2014 9:06PM GMT
If anyone is still looking for info on this William Johnson, there was an article in the Huntington Herald newspaper, Huntington Indiana, on 16 Oct 1925 that mentions a Sheriff William Johnson of Pike County, Kentucky. The article is "Miner "dead" nine months now facing murder charge" and it is on Page 1.

(As a side note, for those looking for any info on any William Johnson, newspapers.com has a bunch of articles related, you just have to go through them)

There are also some articles here and there referencing a Sheriff William Johnson of Berea, KY, around the same time, not sure if this is the same fellow or not, but all of these articles are available on newspapers.com. To get more relevant results on searching for these at newspapers.com, use quotes on the "William Johnson" and "Sheriff William Johnson"

Additionally, just glimpsing through Pike County, KY census records for the relevant time frame, there were quite a few William Johnson families with Mary as wife. Without further information it would be difficult to isolate the correct one. Also, there are many, many William Johnsons in the Pike County area in addition to the ones married to a Mary. Isolating the correct William Johnson would be difficult to impossible without knowing more information.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic